AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 06, 2015, 03:03:55 PM

I think Mayo are now further away from winning the All Ireland than two years ago. A few here feared they peaked in 2013 they could be right. Not good enough defensively more than a lack of scoring power is why this Mayo panel of players haven't won Sam in my opinion.

In fairness, last year was our year. But the gods conspired against us banged Aidan's and Cillians head together and handed us the most biased Referee in the history of the GAA in an away provincial venue. You could not script it. But hey we'll go away lick our wounds and take stock. People say we got no one new this year. I beg to differ. Parsons is no longer a bit player. We also have blooded Durcan and Diarmuid O'Connor at a very high level. This week will have stood hugely to those players.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 06, 2015, 03:36:22 PM

I think Mayo are now further away from winning the All Ireland than two years ago. A few here feared they peaked in 2013 they could be right. Not good enough defensively more than a lack of scoring power is why this Mayo panel of players haven't won Sam in my opinion.

In fairness, last year was our year. But the gods conspired against us banged Aidan's and Cillians head together and handed us the most biased Referee in the history of the GAA in an away provincial venue. You could not script it. But hey we'll go away lick our wounds and take stock. People say we got no one new this year. I beg to differ. Parsons is no longer a bit player. We also have blooded Durcan and Diarmuid O'Connor at a very high level. This week will have stood hugely to those players.

The younger O'Connor was starting last year. You also seem to have lost Jason Gibbons down the cracks.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2015, 03:45:02 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 06, 2015, 03:36:22 PM

The younger O'Connor was starting last year. You also seem to have lost Jason Gibbons down the cracks.

He started one game last year - against Roscommon. There's no doubting he has become a very big player for us this year.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 06, 2015, 12:30:58 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 06, 2015, 10:44:27 AM
Quote from: straightred on September 05, 2015, 07:56:17 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 05, 2015, 07:21:01 PM
Cillian O'CONNOR found out today. Can kick frees from anywhere, but in open  play not a real top class forward. Mayo forwards in the 2nd half were as rubbish as they were the 1st day. Only difference no ref to give them easy frees. Once dubs stopped fouling Mayo forwards shown up for the poor finishers they are. Dubs subs made a huge difference. McManamon with another moment of magic. Mayo didn't have a forward who could do the same.

that's really harsh. If you ever played the game or done a bit of coaching you'd know he's one of the top forwards in the country. If he got found out then what have to say about dean rock who had a far stronger supporting cast around him but for the 2nd week in a row went missing. O Connor is a bit like Conor Mcmanus - he carries a far bigger workload than he should have to.

O'Connor is nothing like McManus, that's an insult to McManus who is targeted and has plans to the nth degree from opposition managers to stop him playing. Monaghan rarely win when McManus is kept quiet. Mayo have regularly won before when O'Connor has offered nothing from open play. I don't think you'll ever see that much of a plan from opposition managers to stop O'Connor, he's just not much of a threat from open play, a good finisher yes but not a guy whose going to cause problems if his team are struggling.

I think you look at what O'Connor did yesterday and you see a good point in the first half, he scored a goal where it should have been disallowed as he fouled the ball when one-on-one with the keeper and very little else from open play.

I thought he was fouled by the keeper tbu but I haven't seen a replay of it

After watching the game again on television it seems clear that O'Connor was fouled by Cluxton and would have been entitled to a penalty had the goal not been awarded.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

vallankumous

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 06, 2015, 04:39:38 PM

After watching the game again on television it seems clear that O'Connor was fouled by Cluxton and would have been entitled to a penalty had the goal not been awarded.

ANd a black card for Cluxton

regal

There is an in-built stupidity which will mean that Mayo won't be winning an all Ireland anytime soon. This goes to players, management and supporters. It's not about luck, fortune or anything else other than being stupid. They always manage to make the wrong decisions when the chance of success in in their grasp.

vallankumous

Quote from: regal on September 06, 2015, 05:27:41 PM
There is an in-built stupidity which will mean that Mayo won't be winning an all Ireland anytime soon. This goes to players, management and supporters. It's not about luck, fortune or anything else other than being stupid. They always manage to make the wrong decisions when the chance of success in in their grasp.

No, they were beat by a better team.

Mayo probably had a team good enough to pick up an AI and missed that chance. Many teams have been good enough to win it on a particular year but didn't.
This year Dublin are better than Mayo.

Il Bomber Destro

Cillian O'CONNOR found out today. Can kick frees from anywhere, but in open  play not a real top class forward. Mayo forwards in the 2nd half were as rubbish as they were the 1st day. Only difference no ref to give them easy frees. Once dubs stopped fouling Mayo forwards shown up for the poor finishers they are. Dubs subs made a huge difference. McManamon with another moment of magic. Mayo didn't have a forward who could do the same.

that's really harsh. If you ever played the game or done a bit of coaching you'd know he's one of the top forwards in the country. If he got found out then what have to say about dean rock who had a far stronger supporting cast around him but for the 2nd week in a row went missing. O Connor is a bit like Conor Mcmanus - he carries a far bigger workload than he should have to.

O'Connor is nothing like McManus, that's an insult to McManus who is targeted and has plans to the nth degree from opposition managers to stop him playing. Monaghan rarely win when McManus is kept quiet. Mayo have regularly won before when O'Connor has offered nothing from open play. I don't think you'll ever see that much of a plan from opposition managers to stop O'Connor, he's just not much of a threat from open play, a good finisher yes but not a guy whose going to cause problems if his team are struggling.

I think you look at what O'Connor did yesterday and you see a good point in the first half, he scored a goal where it should have been disallowed as he fouled the ball when one-on-one with the keeper and very little else from open play.

Fouled after O'Connor had fouled the ball.

Syferus

+1

Stonewall penalty if COC hadn't scored.

Il Bomber Destro

You can clearly see the ball has switched hands before any contact with O'Connor therefore it's a free out.

screenexile

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 06, 2015, 06:06:11 PM
You can clearly see the ball has switched hands before any contact with O'Connor therefore it's a free out.

THERE IS NO RULE AGAINST SWITCHING HANDS!!!!

vallankumous

As long as both hands are on the ball at the switch it's not a foul. You can't throw the ball from hand to hand.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: vallankumous on September 06, 2015, 06:09:21 PM

As long as both hands are on the ball at the switch it's not a foul. You can't throw the ball from hand to hand.

Neither hand is on the ball when he switches it? Did you not see the replay of the goal?

screenexile

Quote from: vallankumous on September 06, 2015, 06:09:21 PM

Correct!!

Also he switched hands then threw the ball up and kicked it. Perfectly legitimate goal... Here's the rule:

When a player is in possession of the ball, it may be:(a)  carried for a maximum of four consecutive steps or held in the hand(s) for no longer than the time needed to take four steps; (b)  played from the foot to the hand(s) -toetapped; (c)  bounced once, and once after each toe-tap; (d)  changed from one hand to the other once, with the original holding hand maintaining contact until the change is completed; (e)  played away with: (i) a fist (ii)  an open hand-in which instance there shall be a definite underhand striking action (f)  released for a kick, a toe-tap or a pass with a fist or an open hand. The ball may be knocked from an opponent's

vallankumous

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 06, 2015, 06:11:52 PM

Neither hand is on the ball when he switches it? Did you not see the replay of the goal?

Of all the game had to offer i'm not getting into this.