AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

What were the Mayo management at when they took Moran off?

Keeper kicks it long, O'Shea is on Fenton and gets left for dead and is twenty yards behind him when the first goal is scored.

O'Shea is still far too slow for midfield and should only be used as a 3rd midfielder.

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on September 06, 2015, 01:37:43 PM

Keeper kicks it long, O'Shea is on Fenton and gets left for dead and is twenty yards behind him when the first goal is scored.

O'Shea is still far too slow for midfield and should only be used as a 3rd midfielder.

Midfield is the only position where AOS can properly mark someone. Just look at the couple runs Philly McMahon made. That's the risk Mayo take when playing him at FF or CF as they did a few years ago. Only similarity big men are the correct defensive match-up for him.

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2015, 02:00:25 PM

Midfield is the only position where AOS can properly mark someone. Just look at the couple runs Philly McMahon made. That's the risk Mayo take when playing him at FF or CF as they did a few years ago. Only similarity big men are the correct defensive match-up for him.

How many midfielders in the top counties are as slow as him though?

Wildweasel74

Fun i play Higgins at 6 myself, truth be told Mayo are not not far away and have not been for the past 5yrs, what they urgently need is 2 quality inside forwards who consistly score, this is their biggest problem, plus the inability to find a player that can play a sweeper properly

Wildweasel74

Wasn't O`Sheas fault for the McMahon runs, you want to keep him up if you playing him in the full forward line. Theres more than enough Mayo players in defence marking space and any one of them should have the nous to pick up any runners coming through and that's were they are at fault, Watch the brogan pass to McMahon for the point in the first half, all mayo players chasing the man with the ball and not picking up players running through, slack as f**k. Brolly was giving Boyle alot of blame for his inability to play sweeper and half the cause of all these gaps.

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on September 06, 2015, 02:04:32 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2015, 02:00:25 PM

How many midfielders in the top counties are as slow as him though?

I don't think he's terribly slow for a big man but his tackling is a bit chronic. And when he has to turn he's lost in the dust. AOS has always been an excellent attacking player combined with a bit of a defensive liability.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2015, 07:50:02 PM
Very fortunate Dublin win in the end. Mayo outplayed us for the first 55 minutes.

lee Keegan had an opportunity to put them 5 up. If he kicks that we aren't coming back. Small margins.

Backs were largely destroyed outside Mc Carthy and Philly who had O Se in his pocket.

Flynn is way off the pace. Rock not up to it and Bastick is a 20 minute man.

Fenton was brilliant I thought and Andrews was out of this world ably assisted by kilkenny.

Connolly shouldn't have played really was anonymous- I think the booing every time he touched the ball was a bit much.

Alan Brogan was outstanding as was Kev Mac when they came on. MDMA did better too.

Mayo just don't have the composure for some reason. The players are there but it's a question of whether they can make real time good decisions when the game is in the melting pot because they had that game won. I feel for their fans its rough going falling marginally short every year. But they have to improve on that.

I don't know whether having people associated with 1996 is good on the sideline. I think Mayo need someone like Pat Gilroy- someone of that ilk.

As regards the final. I can't see us winning it. Kerry have too many answers in too many positions. So that should will ensure some level of equilibrium is kept around the country.

Agree with most of this. Bit faint in your praise of MDMA Indiana - thought he made a big difference when he came on, even allowing for Séamus O'Shea's black card. He'd want to cut that hair though.

The criticism of Cillian O'Connor is laughable. And on that point, I thought Rory O'Carroll would be out there covered in bandages like an Egyptian mummy after the slashing he got the last day, with great gouts of honest man's blood drenching the sacred sod. Amazing what medical science can do.

From the Bunker

Well done to Dublin. No complaints. Better team/squad won. Best of luck in the final. I will be cheering for ye.

Nothing to do with yesterdays result. But the GAA is a total mess on the controlling of their games, from referees, to Black/yellow/red Cards, disciplinary issues and suspensions.

Captain Obvious

I think Mayo are now further away from winning the All Ireland than two years ago. A few here feared they peaked in 2013 they could be right. Not good enough defensively more than a lack of scoring power is why this Mayo panel of players haven't won Sam in my opinion.

mayoman dan

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 06, 2015, 03:03:55 PM

I think Mayo are now further away from winning the All Ireland than two years ago. A few here feared they peaked in 2013 they could be right. Not good enough defensively more than a lack of scoring power is why this Mayo panel of players haven't won Sam in my opinion.

Throw in a management team thats out of its depth and you have hit the nail on the head.

Syferus

Quote from: mayoman dan on September 06, 2015, 03:09:10 PM

Throw in a management team thats out of its depth and you have hit the nail on the head.

You won't like our announcement on Tuesday so Dan :-X

Ballaghman

Another tough loss and they aren't getting any easier to stomach. Even though we lost to a better balanced team with a stronger bench this is still a hard loss to fully accept. It was there for us and for whatever reason we can't seem to put a team to the sword. How are we still asking the same questions as we were last year? How did we not come up with a proper defensive system in the last 12 months.
Holmes and Connelly have done a decent job, they've tried a few things and seemed to energise the lads again. But how many of their ideas have worked when under pressure? O'Shea at FF is a good tactic but we never used him properly in the two Dublin games. Playing a sweeper is a good idea but we played the wrong player there and it didn't work when we needed it most. Donegal or Kerry would have closed that game down completely if 4 points up, we've had a year to work on that so H & C have to accept criticism for that failure. The substitutions were baffling. Big Barry and Tom were spent but could we afford to take both of them off with Seamus gone as well? Surely not. Hennelly had a cluxton-like meltdown when we needed a cool head. What was he at with his kick outs, especially the 'one gloved' kick out, crazy stuff from a lad who should know better.
To have so many questions at the end of what looked like a promising year is frustrating and hard to take.
Fair play and congrats to the dubs. A brilliant team to watch in full flow and some of the forward play yesterday was outstanding. Dublin are the only team that can match us athletically and because of their bench they can then out manoeuvre us in the final 10 minutes. The best team over the two games won. Normally I'd be ok with that but after this game it feels like we have more questions than answers (again).

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2015, 03:12:00 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on September 06, 2015, 03:09:10 PM

You won't like our announcement on Tuesday so Dan :-X

The Mallon brothers won't either

Il Bomber Destro

I could never imagine McStay cutting it as a top level county manager, seems far too much of a crybaby for me.