Kerry V Tyrone Fodder AISF 23rd August 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 02, 2015, 04:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

RTEs agenda paid off handsomely yesterday.  Deegan played a key role in deciding the outcome and his performance ensured the correct result.  Said before the game that Tyrone would not be let win that game unless they were so far ahead that it didnt matter. It became obvious in the 10 minutes before half time. The old Order is well and truly restored.
Tyrone and Kerry played a damn good match of football, probably the best will be seen this year intensity and defensive skills were to the fore and it didnt make it any less appealing.   
The black card needs to go.  O Ses hand trip should have been a simple yellow card offence, as was Mc Namees tackle on a flailing Gooch.  I felt Mc Nabb could have seen harsher sanction for his late tackle but the game was already decided.  Enright was a typical black card offence and the referee chose to use his discretion.  In that case, make all those tackles yellow.   The attitude to Ulster football is back to the 80s and 90s.  They have to be damn special to get a decision in Croke Park. When ye dont get fair play ye can't play fair and expect to win.  Tyrone need to remedy their formula.   
Tyrone bench was not at the level and we knew that beforehand.  Hampsey, Mc Geary, Brennans, Cassidy etc all would have helped our options yesterday.  Im not sure about Mickey O Neills fitness yesterday but he must be sick.  Dont want to criticise some great servants and some great young lads but they had their chance yesterday.  Still could have won that game ins spite of the real dark arts in our games...
A great way for Harte to bow out out if that proves to be the end.  What a man and what a contribution to Tyrone football and the game!!  An interesting cryptic indication that he may want to stay on -  and he had his team up to a top level yesterday, and obviously  there needs to be a debate before any appointments takes place, for the good of Tyrone football, for the good of blending these talented under 21s (Hampsey, Mc Geary, Cassidy and the Brennans)  and for the good of Mickey Harte.  This has take place at other levels of Tyrone football and is a necessary way to review and manage progress. With Hampsey, Mc Geary, Brennans on board, I believe we can win the all Ireland next year.
The Tyrone support was fantastic yesterday - great to see it.  As was the Kerry support - a great rivalry endures. 
For those knocking Donaghy yesterday I see him as a top player for Kerry and he is as capable of bagging a goal or two the next day. Well marked by good players. Gooch is still a long way away from capturing the form he had before the injury.  Walsh is a class act.   
Finally congratulations to Kerry and the best of luck in the final.  If yes dont mind would love to see Mayo breaking their famine this year but can't see past you, as you have the know how. 

barelegs

John Bannon didn't think much of Deegan's refereeing

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/john-bannon-maurice-deegan-display-erratic-349833.html

The better team won on the day. Tyrone had their chances and didn't take them and they'll have to live with that.

On Deegan I thought he was poor enough yesterday. I can understand a referee missing one or two things but he missed a good bit more than that. It's the second time in three years Tyrone haven't had the rub of the green from him because he did them no favours in 2013 either.

screenexile

I didn't see it on the Sunday Game but did they show Deegan's 2nd penalty call to be correct? Just off the phone with someone at the match yesterday and he swears blind it wasn't a penalty. Them's the breaks.

Tyrone shouldn't be too despondent their team is competing at the top level again and look like they are going to be around for a couple of years yet. Kerry are a force of nature and as pointed out before the match they have the better players and if 2 teams play the defensive system well generally the team with the better players comes out on top.

It's knocked Kerry down a peg or 2 in my estimation though I really thought they would power through that match yesterday. Whoever comes through from this weekend will be favourites in my book. This weekend promises to be the game of the Championship I hope it lives up to it!

AZOffaly

A lot of the focus here, naturally enough given the demographic, on Tyrone. Just on Kerry, I was impressed with their calmness when attacks were stymied or held up. They didn't panic, passed the ball around, probing, and kept their movement up front. Then they'd inject another bit of pace and make an incision. It was impressive to watch, even if it was very pedestrian at times. They got at least 3 or 4 scores that way, which is telling because that was breaking down Tyrone when Tyrone were set and at their best.

I think the way in which Kerry can alter their game is probably the most impressive thing about them. I think they will struggle against the pace and power of either Dublin or Mayo in the final, but I think when they have the ball they will find a way to get scores.

But whether they win or lose the final, Kerry have done the whole rebuilding thing, and are back in an All Ireland final having won the previous one. It would sicken your hole :)

bcarrier

Tommy Carr

QuoteKerry could have lost the game only for the scores they got at the end.

He gets paid for that.

macdanger2

Quote from: bcarrier on August 24, 2015, 09:52:26 AM
Tommy Carr

QuoteKerry could have lost the game only for the scores they got at the end.

He gets paid for that.

I agree with Tom Tom 100% on this, without those scores they could have been a goner

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on August 24, 2015, 09:43:33 AM
RTEs agenda paid off handsomely yesterday.  Deegan played a key role in deciding the outcome and his performance ensured the correct result.  Said before the game that Tyrone would not be let win that game unless they were so far ahead that it didnt matter. It became obvious in the 10 minutes before half time. The old Order is well and truly restored.
Tyrone and Kerry played a damn good match of football, probably the best will be seen this year intensity and defensive skills were to the fore and it didnt make it any less appealing.   
The black card needs to go.  O Ses hand trip should have been a simple yellow card offence, as was Mc Namees tackle on a flailing Gooch.  I felt Mc Nabb could have seen harsher sanction for his late tackle but the game was already decided.  Enright was a typical black card offence and the referee chose to use his discretion.  In that case, make all those tackles yellow.   The attitude to Ulster football is back to the 80s and 90s.  They have to be damn special to get a decision in Croke Park. When ye dont get fair play ye can't play fair and expect to win.  Tyrone need to remedy their formula.   
Tyrone bench was not at the level and we knew that beforehand.  Hampsey, Mc Geary, Brennans, Cassidy etc all would have helped our options yesterday.  Im not sure about Mickey O Neills fitness yesterday but he must be sick.  Dont want to criticise some great servants and some great young lads but they had their chance yesterday.  Still could have won that game ins spite of the real dark arts in our games...
A great way for Harte to bow out out if that proves to be the end.  What a man and what a contribution to Tyrone football and the game!!  An interesting cryptic indication that he may want to stay on -  and he had his team up to a top level yesterday, and obviously  there needs to be a debate before any appointments takes place, for the good of Tyrone football, for the good of blending these talented under 21s (Hampsey, Mc Geary, Cassidy and the Brennans)  and for the good of Mickey Harte.  This has take place at other levels of Tyrone football and is a necessary way to review and manage progress. With Hampsey, Mc Geary, Brennans on board, I believe we can win the all Ireland next year.
The Tyrone support was fantastic yesterday - great to see it.  As was the Kerry support - a great rivalry endures. 
For those knocking Donaghy yesterday I see him as a top player for Kerry and he is as capable of bagging a goal or two the next day. Well marked by good players. Gooch is still a long way away from capturing the form he had before the injury.  Walsh is a class act.   
Finally congratulations to Kerry and the best of luck in the final.  If yes dont mind would love to see Mayo breaking their famine this year but can't see past you, as you have the know how. 

Ah yes the agenda is back . Us against the world

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on August 24, 2015, 09:57:31 AM
Quote from: rrhf on August 24, 2015, 09:43:33 AM

Ah yes the agenda is back . Us against the world

Us 0 - 1 The World.

doodaa

You could nearly do away with the black card again, all it has done is create confusion for refs, players, managers & supporters.
There were a few yellows that should have been blacks and a few blacks that should have been yellows (McNamees' the most blatant of the latter IMO)

Stall the Bailer

Referees are judged on the big decisions, he got at least three wrong. McNamme black, Enright yellow, and O'Sullivan & Moran not getting blacks. Second penalty shout was also close. Thought also Kerry's placed balls in the first half were wrong. The 45 was not one (it was the umpire who gave this, but this falls back on the ref, as it is him who appoints the umpires). The JOD free in first half can from a turnover where  the Tyrone man was being fouled. The ref can't get all these calls correct but got a good few wrong which to me meant he had a poor game. The likes of Maher was very lucky that his constant fouling wasn't punished either.

It was not the reason Tyrone lost though, Kerry were more clinical with their chances. If Tyrone even scored some of their missed frees they would have win, never mind the goal chances. I thought Tyrone were the better team in general play but when you don't take your chances you can't complain.

I also thought Harte got the better of Fitzmaurice. The gamble of starting Donahey could have cost them. They didn't create one goal chance which must be a worry. If Geaney had of started it makes Kerry's attacking options on the bench a lot more limited.

On the cynically play, this occurred when preventing a goal chance or when protecting a lead. A few cynical tackles stopped Tyrone from getting more goal chances. It is hard to know if Tyrone would have finished them anyhow. With Kerry not creating any goal chances Tyrone didn't need to be cynical   

Applesisapples

As a neutral I really enjoyed yesterdays game. As I suspected Kerry just had too much quality up front and to my mind were the better team. Unfortunately the performance of Maurice Deegan left a lot of what if's. Aside from the inconsistent use of cards there were a couple of soft frees to Kerry, a 45 that wasn't and a clear penalty where the Tyrone player was carded for feigning. That said Kerry found getting scores easier. But it is beyond the time for a video ref at important Championship games.

AZOffaly

I wouldn't be so sure on the penalty. Even after seeing it several times now, I'm still not sure it was a foul. That said, it's a big call to accuse the lad of diving. Maybe the correct call was just play on, and eventually it would be a free out for overcarrying.

As for the others, I thought Marc O'Se's black was on the money, I thought the Tyrone black was wrong, the Enright yellow should have been a black. I thought the Tyrone #5 should have got the line for the late hit on Gooch, and I thought Killian Young was very lucky not to get a black card on the first goal chance Tyrone had when Marc O'Se made the great block.

highorlow

Quotea 45 that wasn't

I looked at that again and paused it. It looks like the backs hand is the last to hit.

I thought Kerry's free for their 5th point was very soft (Moran was off balance rather than getting pulled back and to make things worse it was brought forward too far by Deegan). Sean Kavanagh should / could have got a free from a high ball where I thought he was fouled. I don't think it was mentioned yet that the ref also went over the 2 mins time in the 1st half and Kerry, star, got a point in this period.

In saying that, Tyrone butchered about 1-3 in the first half through their own poor decisions, if Tyrone had an attacking full back that could score then they may have gotten a draw. I also thought they never tested Kerry with some high balls into Kavanagh, there was time and opportunity to do that but they only did it once in the whole game.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

rrhf

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2015, 10:18:58 AM
I wouldn't be so sure on the penalty. Even after seeing it several times now, I'm still not sure it was a foul. That said, it's a big call to accuse the lad of diving. Maybe the correct call was just play on, and eventually it would be a free out for overcarrying.

As for the others, I thought Marc O'Se's black was on the money, I thought the Tyrone black was wrong, the Enright yellow should have been a black. I thought the Tyrone #5 should have got the line for the late hit on Gooch, and I thought Killian Young was very lucky not to get a black card on the first goal chance Tyrone had when Marc O'Se made the great block.
The lad certainly didnt dive, his momentum meant that when the foul occurred he was trying to stay on his feet and grabbing a jersey can equally be seen as an attempt to stay up.  It said more about Deegan's state of mind that he booked the lad for a clear foul.