Kerry V Tyrone Fodder AISF 23rd August 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 02, 2015, 04:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Our best man at getting goals can barely get a look in (Ronan O'Neill).  I have yet to see anything from Tommy Walsh that suggests he could have a big influence.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

yellowcard

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 21, 2015, 12:25:57 AM
Who will you be supporting yellow card?

Neither, I have no great love for either county if I'm being honest.

Keane

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 21, 2015, 10:17:02 AM
But Tyrone aren't as reliant on their forwards to score. Tyrone defence and midfields have scored 2-23 already. The system they play brings more scorers in rather than relying on set forwards. That's what Tyrone's system is. They don't need a prolific forward.

With regards to the break ball, it's certainly not lap of the god stuff. That's 10 year old thinking.

I personally think we have a good chance. Definitely underdogs, but a good chance none the least. 

Is that 2-23 from the six games? Not particularly mind blowing considering the opposition tbf, but not bad either. Is Harte included as one of the defence in that?

supersarsfields

That includes Donegal and Monaghan. Two of the most defensive teams playing. Harte would be included in those. I would see it as fairly strong.

Keane

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 21, 2015, 10:26:58 AM
That includes Donegal and Monaghan. Two of the most defensive teams playing. Harte would be included in those. I would see it as fairly strong.

I didn't phrase my post particularly well - it's certainly a good return.

INDIANA

But Tyrone aren't as reliant on their forwards to score. Tyrone defence and midfields have scored 2-23 already. The system they play brings more scorers in rather than relying on set forwards. That's what Tyrone's system is. They don't need a prolific forward.

With regards to the break ball, it's certainly not lap of the god stuff. That's 10 year old thinking.

I personally think we have a good chance. Definitely underdogs, but a good chance none the least.

It's lap of the God's stuff when David Moran and Anthony Maher are standing out there like two totem poles. Once Kerry push up on you- you'll have to break every ball. All Kerry have to do is put enough bodies around the breaking ball and once they break even they'll win the game. Do you honestly think Fitzmaurice is going to leave you spare men around the middle so your lads can bat the ball down to them ;D

You've scored 2-23 against non top 4 teams. Whether you like it or not Sligo, Meath, Tipperary , etc they aren't mapped at this level in terms of winning All Irelands. They leak scores because they play at a low level. The idea that Kerry are going to allow Mattie Donnelly and Peter Harte work their telegraphed moves from deep like they have in the last 4-5 games is absurd.

You rarely ever kick it long into the inside forwards and that's the way to beat this Kerry team. You can stretch their defence by kicking it but when you're playing so defensively you have to run the ball up the pitch the whole time and against good teams- it's predictable.

That's why I can't see you winning- to date you've played completely the wrong system to beat this Kerry team. You must stretch the defence and get the 35 year olds running. But you won't do it by handpassing. So let's hope Mickey has come up with something - because he'll need to.

Best of luck because you'll need it. And for once kick the bloody ball.

AZOffaly

Indiana, I agree with a lot of what you've said there, but I also think this Kerry team can be run at, if you move the ball at pace on a counter attack. Heart of the defence can be got at of you run at them at pace, and I'd expect Tyrone to try to do just that.

lenny

Quote from: INDIANA on August 21, 2015, 10:46:15 AM

It's lap of the God's stuff when David Moran and Anthony Maher are standing out there like two totem poles. Once Kerry push up on you- you'll have to break every ball. All Kerry have to do is put enough bodies around the breaking ball and once they break even they'll win the game. Do you honestly think Fitzmaurice is going to leave you spare men around the middle so your lads can bat the ball down to them ;D

You've scored 2-23 against non top 4 teams. Whether you like it or not Sligo, Meath, Tipperary , etc they aren't mapped at this level in terms of winning All Irelands. They leak scores because they play at a low level. The idea that Kerry are going to allow Mattie Donnelly and Peter Harte work their telegraphed moves from deep like they have in the last 4-5 games is absurd.

You rarely ever kick it long into the inside forwards and that's the way to beat this Kerry team. You can stretch their defence by kicking it but when you're playing so defensively you have to run the ball up the pitch the whole time and against good teams- it's predictable.

That's why I can't see you winning- to date you've played completely the wrong system to beat this Kerry team. You must stretch the defence and get the 35 year olds running. But you won't do it by handpassing. So let's hope Mickey has come up with something - because he'll need to.

I agree that tyrone supporters are getting a bit carried away as to be fair they haven't really come up against one of the top sides. I also think kerry will push up on the tyrone kickout which will put a lot of pressure on tyrone. Having said that tyrone may cause kerry problems with their running game because they are better at it than other teams who play that way. They do it better because they have real pace and also they are good at switching the play and changing the angle of the attack. I am interested to see how kerry try to counteract it as monaghan were completely unable to often allowing tyrone to go the whole length of the pitch with 4 or 5 handpasses leading to scores without even a tackle put in on any of the players or any pressure.

longballin

Quote from: lenny on August 21, 2015, 11:11:06 AM

I agree that tyrone supporters are getting a bit carried away as to be fair they haven't really come up against one of the top sides. I also think kerry will push up on the tyrone kickout which will put a lot of pressure on tyrone. Having said that tyrone may cause kerry problems with their running game because they are better at it than other teams who play that way. They do it better because they have real pace and also they are good at switching the play and changing the angle of the attack. I am interested to see how kerry try to counteract it as monaghan were completely unable to often allowing tyrone to go the whole length of the pitch with 4 or 5 handpasses leading to scores without even a tackle put in on any of the players or any pressure.

The kickouts certainly are going to be an interesting part of the game Kerry have set out to dominate the middle sector bringing in buckley to add to their mid field sector they also will push up on morgan not allowing him to give the short kick outs. Where as at the other end tyrone may opt to let Kerry work it out short by crowding out the Kerry midfield sector. Tyrone have won all Irelands before with inferior mid field sectors.

Fear ón Srath Bán

For the first time since poor Michaela's passing (RIP), Mickey seems to have his mojo back, and I would expect that footballing brain to have been working overtime since this fixture was first pencilled in.

Expect the unexpected, tactics-wise, that would be wise ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

screenexile

I think Monaghan geared their gameplan to play Donegal and it worked perfectly for them. They really didn't see what Tyrone were going to do to them and Tyrone just drove straight at them from start to finish and they were like rabbits in headlights.

Kerrry's players are in a different league to Monaghan's and they have one of the most astute managers about. It's hard to see a way they don't win this other than their defence isn't watertight. They'v conceded 6 goals this campaign to Tyrone's 1 which is a small advantage to Tyrone.

The other way to look at it is they were looking to peak in August and well there last performance was as near flawless as you can get.

I still fancy the great footballers of our Country to beat the newbie neerdowell's and restore a bit of pride and proper football to this years Championship. Kerry by 5!

supersarsfields

But in Morgan they have  a keeper similar to rival Cluxton with regards to his kickouts. It's one of Tyrone's strongest strengths. They go from kick out to attack very quickly, and that all stems from Morgan's ability to find space with his kick outs. And yes Kerry can push up, but if they push up on the sweepers that's causing problems at the other end of the pitch with loads of space to move the ball into.  Morgans kick outs won't be high balls down the middle. they'll be to the wings and into space for the Tyrone players to run onto. Perhaps Kerry can close this down, but I think in doing so, it'll change the way they play as well. And that doesn't always have a positive effect either.

By the way, Kerry's run in hasn't been anything above Tyrone. Kildare and Cork wouldn't be any better than Donegal/ Monaghan, in fact I'd argue Donegal and Monaghan were at a higher level.

Keane

I would say the six goals conceded thing is a slight red herring.

I presume people would have watched the drawn Munster final and will have noticed that Kerry lined up more or less just as 15 despite it being very clear that Cork attacking with ball in hand from the halfback line was going to be the big threat. They conceded three in that game.

I don't know if the Tipperary match was on TV but it was the same set up from Kerry and they conceded two.

It would be hard to imagine Kerry were envisaging playing six backs marking six forwards for the whole year, and I would suspect the Munster replay and the Kildare game where we played much more of a defensive 'system' is closer to the mark.

Kerry certainly don't have the most watertight defence but I would think they will be a bit more savvy about dealing with runners at this stage of the year.

INDIANA

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 21, 2015, 12:09:51 PM

But in Morgan they have  a keeper similar to rival Cluxton with regards to his kickouts. It's one of Tyrone's strongest strengths. They go from kick out to attack very quickly, and that all stems from Morgan's ability to find space with his kick outs. And yes Kerry can push up, but if they push up on the sweepers that's causing problems at the other end of the pitch with loads of space to move the ball into.  Morgans kick outs won't be high balls down the middle. they'll be to the wings and into space for the Tyrone players to run onto. Perhaps Kerry can close this down, but I think in doing so, it'll change the way they play as well. And that doesn't always have a positive effect either.

By the way, Kerry's run in hasn't been anything above Tyrone. Kildare and Cork wouldn't be any better than Donegal/ Monaghan, in fact I'd argue Donegal and Monaghan were at a higher level.

But you don't kick the ball so even if Kerry do leave space there they will have plenty of time to get back . It's hard to change a system in two weeks. I've watched your last 4-5 games and it's not even a mixture of long and short ball . It's all short. When players spend 9 months wired to play a certain way it's hard to change it in a week.

You don't even transition from the back like Dublin with a foot pass it's all hand passing . Maybe the odd 15-20 yard pass. But nothing to stretch a defence . You will have to radically alter your system to win this game . Tough going in two weeks . Plus no Canavans , stephen O Neil's etc genius levels to win a game on their own

INDIANA

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 21, 2015, 12:09:51 PM

But you didn't beat Donegal . And even they pierced your massed defence by running in behind you. In the light of the Mayo and Galway games Donegal don't exactly look formidable opposition. True Kerry haven't beaten much but teams with scoring forwards are hard to beat .

I think if you have a good performance on Sunday it's been a good year . I think Tyrone have huge potential with this team but it's not this year in my view