Roscommon's next Manager

Started by Rossfan, July 20, 2015, 10:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 12, 2015, 05:45:10 PM
Surprised that Evans has gone at this stage. It's a month since the shambles in Enniskillen. He recently met Co Board Executive and expressed the desire for another year. This was approved by the Executive and was to be rubber stamped at tonight's meeting of club delegates. There were rumours of opposition in some clubs, but Evans' stance was unexpected.

This is the most dangerous moment for Roscommon football since Maughan. A mistake or a long drawn out selection process will mean D1 might as well be a write off.

Rossfan

Surprised that Evans has gone at this stage. It's a month since the shambles in Enniskillen. He recently met Co Board Executive and expressed the desire for another year. This was approved by the Executive and was to be rubber stamped at tonight's meeting of club delegates. There were rumours of opposition in some clubs, but Evans' stance was unexpected.
There was quite a bit of opposition mounting over last weekend.
I suspect Johneen didn't want to take it on if there was a load of opposition in the wings.
Left us better than he found us but League success is no good if you can't produce the goods in Summer.
We were very poor in this year's Championship and it was obvious to many that JE simply wasn't the man to take us any further.
It would have been better if he'd stood down a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks John andgood luck at whatever gig you take next.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

inexile

Quote from: Rossfan on August 12, 2015, 06:25:18 PM
There was quite a bit of opposition mounting over last weekend.
I suspect Johneen didn't want to take it on if there was a load of opposition in the wings.
Left us better than he found us but League success is no good if you can't produce the goods in Summer.
We were very poor in this year's Championship and it was obvious to many that JE simply wasn't the man to take us any further.
It would have been better if he'd stood down a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks John andgood luck at whatever gig you take next.
What chance the Lillies?  There'll probably be a vacancy  soon!

Jinxy

Evans was too emotional.
That Roscommon team need a calm, analytical mind like McStay to manage them.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

And we need some defenders from somewhere.

Jinxy

Blowitupref

Most managers would have called time after losing to Fermanagh,Sligo in one summer. Someone changed his mind to now walk way it seems.

Division one and having won four U-21 provincial titles in the last six years is sure to have plenty of high profile names interested in this job.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 12, 2015, 07:47:54 PM
Most managers would have called time after losing to Fermanagh,Sligo in one summer. Someone changed his mind to now walk way it seems.

Division one and having won four U-21 provincial titles in the last six years is sure to have plenty of high profile names interested in this job.

You're incorrect.

Rossfan

Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2015, 08:04:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2015, 01:54:43 PM
You're going to look a bit of a tool if Evans stays Rossfan..
A history lesson for you childeen.
Back in 2004 when you were sucking your thumb and filling nappies I pleaded with a few members of the then Co Board Executive to thank TommyTom for his efforts and get him out of the place as he and the panel had gone as far as they could. They ignored me and we saw who the tools were the following March.

Summer 2007 (as Syfín prepares for Junior Infants) after Maughtan spent countless €thousands on a Portuguese training camp after which Sligo wiped the floor with us in the 2nd half and a Kildare team at rock bottom bet us handily I again pleaded with a  couple of the Executive to thank Tanman for his efforts and send him on his way before there wasn't a € left in the County and what little football we had left was wiped out.
Again I was ignored and again we saw who the tools were the following March.

Year 3 of JE and we have little or no discernable gameplans, no defence or strategy or system to try and cope with the fact that we have few proper defenders, Championship defeats to Sligo and Fermanagh,  , daft team selections and substitutions, now blaming Gary Wynne over things even though Gary only came in to a few sessions, a few other issues I'm not putting here for those pesky Rhubarbs to start jibing.
We stuttered through a lot of the League and only for Paddy O'Rourke we'd have finished mid table which would have kept feet on the ground and we'd prepare for the Sligo game instead of blathering about winning All Irelands in a few years.
As for " Ahhh but we're in Division 1" - if you lose to BOTH Fermanagh and Sligo you have no business in Division 1.

Anyway I feel that JE is not the man to take us any further, a new voice and tactics and preparation needed if we're to progress.
I was listened to this time and who's a tool now Syfín ;) ;) ;)
Lot of "informed" rumours doing the rounds that a joint management of 2 well known names and a big € sponsor to come on board. ;)

Blowitupref

Quote from: Syferus on August 12, 2015, 07:50:56 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 12, 2015, 07:47:54 PM

You're incorrect.
About which?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 12, 2015, 07:52:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2015, 08:04:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2015, 01:54:43 PM
You're going to look a bit of a tool if Evans stays Rossfan..
A history lesson for you childeen.
Back in 2004 when you were sucking your thumb and filling nappies I pleaded with a few members of the then Co Board Executive to thank TommyTom for his efforts and get him out of the place as he and the panel had gone as far as they could. They ignored me and we saw who the tools were the following March.

Summer 2007 (as Syfín prepares for Junior Infants) after Maughtan spent countless €thousands on a Portuguese training camp after which Sligo wiped the floor with us in the 2nd half and a Kildare team at rock bottom bet us handily I again pleaded with a  couple of the Executive to thank Tanman for his efforts and send him on his way before there wasn't a € left in the County and what little football we had left was wiped out.
Again I was ignored and again we saw who the tools were the following March.

Year 3 of JE and we have little or no discernable gameplans, no defence or strategy or system to try and cope with the fact that we have few proper defenders, Championship defeats to Sligo and Fermanagh,  , daft team selections and substitutions, now blaming Gary Wynne over things even though Gary only came in to a few sessions, a few other issues I'm not putting here for those pesky Rhubarbs to start jibing.
We stuttered through a lot of the League and only for Paddy O'Rourke we'd have finished mid table which would have kept feet on the ground and we'd prepare for the Sligo game instead of blathering about winning All Irelands in a few years.
As for " Ahhh but we're in Division 1" - if you lose to BOTH Fermanagh and Sligo you have no business in Division 1.

Anyway I feel that JE is not the man to take us any further, a new voice and tactics and preparation needed if we're to progress.
I was listened to this time and who's a tool now Syfín ;) ;) ;)
Lot of "informed" rumours doing the rounds that a joint management of 2 well known names and a big € sponsor to come on board. ;)

You must have been getting very worried with this lurching into the day of the vote.

The two men and the magic sums men if they appear will have made one of the least graceful entrances possible.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on August 12, 2015, 06:41:44 PM
Evans was too emotional.

Any manager with serious ambition - let's say a Mayo man with designs on the Mayo job anon - must realise that the Ros. gig is more likely to finish him that make him. He's already landed with the poisoned chalice of Ros. playing Div1 and trying to keep them there before the serious stuff starts.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on August 12, 2015, 11:31:00 PM
Evans was too emotional.

Any manager with serious ambition - let's say a Mayo man with designs on the Mayo job anon - must realise that the Ros. gig is more likely to finish him that make him. He's already landed with the poisoned chalice of Ros. playing Div1 and trying to keep them there before the serious stuff starts.
In fairness i rarely seen Kevin McStays name mentioned for many if any county jobs before he won the club All Ireland with St Brigids. How good is he really? could be out of his depth at senior county level.

Rossfan

No pressure at all on the new man.
We and Down will be roaring favs for relegation so if we squeeze even one win it won't be 2 bad.
Then we go to NY and if we don't lose by much to Galway or that crowd it will be a big improvement on losing to Sligo.
A respectable Rd 4 exit is all we'll need then.
Meanwhile if a discernible game plan and defensive strategy is developed sure he'll be lauded to the rooftops.
We are not an unattractive proposition :- 3 of the last 4 Connacht U21 titles means there's talent and prospects there.

Jinxy

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 12, 2015, 11:43:47 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 12, 2015, 11:31:00 PM
Evans was too emotional.

In fairness i rarely seen Kevin McStays name mentioned for many if any county jobs before he won the club All Ireland with St Brigids. How good is he really? could be out of his depth at senior county level.

Most senior county managers are out of their depth at senior county level.