Roscommon's next Manager

Started by Rossfan, July 20, 2015, 10:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Quote from: Gael85 on July 22, 2015, 01:20:26 AM
How about Stephen Rochford for job? Done great job with Corofin

he is someone who has been mentioned on the tipp forum as a potential person to take over for us.

theyellowbus

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 21, 2015, 09:17:50 PM
Yellow bus cant believe you want to replace John Evans with Mulholland. Talk about change for the sake of change.
I don't think Mulholland should be the first man for the post if it becomes vacant.
I merely said he was an option and a fairly average one at that but still better than nearly everyone inside the county bar maybe FOD.
The likes of him is what our CB will be looking at because we don't have the resources for someone considered top class.
In choosing a manager to replace Evans whether it be this year or next year our CB have a big job on their hands because it will determine how successful we become in terms of championship in the following 2/3 years.Meaning provincial success and breaking into the top eight in the country.

westbound

As a hypothetical question,

If Evans stays on, and if Roscommon stay in Div 1 next year, and if Roscommon win the connacht title next year, would Roscommon people still want rid of Evans at the end of next year?

theyellowbus

In all honesty id have to say yes because by the following year it would all have gone stale anyway.Very few managers have it in them to keep bringing the same bunch of lads along with them and instilling in them the same drive and hunger to produce regularly in the championship.
I hope all that happens for Evans sake alone because one thing is for sure he has given  the county of Roscommon a lot of effort and time in terms of trying to make us into a top footballing side.

Shrewdness

Westbound, if Ros stay in Div 1 and win Connacht, we'd definitely want him to stay on.. But therein lies our problem with him. We're nowhere near winning Connacht with him and haven't even reached a provincial final in the 3 yrs he's been there. This year was unforgiveable.

Rossfan

That's it in a nutshell Shrewdín.
I'd say his stock fairly plummeted from ten past four on Sunday among those who had been supporting him till then.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Nihilist

Its funny.
A lot of the Ros crowd would like to see McStay get the job.
And a lot of the Mayo crowd wouldn't like this as they seem to want him for their own.
Personally I don't understand either of these viewpoints.

Surely everyone would accept that McStay has little or no experience at Inter County level. OK yes at club (once to my mind) but frankly it's totally different.

And following on from that there is no guarantee that he would be the "be all and end all" for Ross.
Or that he would be any better in Mayo for that matter.

Syferus

Quote from: Nihilist on July 22, 2015, 01:02:44 PM
Its funny.
And a lot of the Mayo crowd wouldn't like this as they seem to want him for their own.

Surely everyone would accept that McStay has little or no experience at Inter County level. OK yes at club (once to my mind) but frankly it's totally different.

And following on from that there is no guarantee that he would be the "be all and end all" for Ross.

As opposed to lads like Jim Gavin, James Horan, Eamonn Fitzmaurice, Jim McGuinness when they took over?

I'd take the potential of someone with a good club or underage record like McStay or Dowd over the level of 'proven' manager we'd likely attract. We got somewhat lucky in that Evans turned out not to a bad sort but we've been burnt by that route too many times.

giveballaghback

Just looked back at Roscommon finances for 2014 and including all sponsorship, club Rossie money and a small profit on the famous bus (take note all bus knockers) we still had total income of just under 200k.
Big management teams not doable on those figures. Its just plain reality lads, put the best we can together on our limited resourses, prepare the best we can and go out and give a good account of ourselves. That is the very most we can expect. Evans will get another season and if the management team has learned from mistakes made this season then it should be ok, in other words as good as anything else we could put together on that budget. Until the gaa levels the playing pitch (excuse the pun) there will be different level of prep in most counties, there will always be exceptions with teams of little resources getting good runs and lets hope we can do that next year. 

Nihilist

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2015, 01:41:53 PM
Its funny.

As opposed to lads like Jim Gavin, James Horan, Eamonn Fitzmaurice, Jim McGuinness when they took over?

I'd take the potential of someone with a good club or underage record like McStay or Dowd over the level of 'proven' manager we'd likely attract. We got somewhat lucky in that Evans turned out not to a bad sort but we've been burnt by that route too many times.

H'mm.
Of the guys you have mentioned there.........
Jim Gavin - Managed and won U21 all Ireland prior to taking over at Senior. Also inherited an AI winning team not to mention resources which Dubs have and all the rest. I think nearly anyone managing that team would have a decent chance (even Tommy Carr)
Jim McGuinness - Managed and guided Donegal U21 to All Ireland final prior to taking over at Senior so would have known and been respected by a majority of players.
Eamonn Fitz - Selector under Jack O'Connor and highly respected player. Coached Hogan stand winners the year previous to taking over if I'm not mistaken.
James Horan - brought Ballintubber across the line for first time ever. (If anything he is the only real exception in the 4 you listed. )

I wouldn't bracket McStay with anyone above. Closest is Horan but I would choose Horan any day over McStay.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Nihilist on July 22, 2015, 02:49:36 PM
Its funny.

H'mm.
Jim Gavin - Managed and won U21 all Ireland prior to taking over at Senior. Also inherited an AI winning team not to mention resources which Dubs have and all the rest. I think nearly anyone managing that team would have a decent chance (even Tommy Carr)
Jim McGuinness - Managed and won U21 All Ireland prior to taking over at Senior so would have known and been respected by a majority of players.
Eamonn Fitz - Selector under Jack O'Connor and highly respected player. Coached Hogan stand winners the year previous to taking over if I'm not mistaken.
James Horan - brought Ballintubber across the line for first time ever. (If anything he is the only real exception in the 4 you listed. )

I wouldn't bracket McStay with anyone above. Closest is Horan but I would choose Horan any day over McStay.

Lost final.

McStay got Mayo to an AI u-21 final in 2001 that lost to Tyrone.

Nihilist

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 22, 2015, 02:53:19 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on July 22, 2015, 02:49:36 PM
Its funny.

H'mm.
Jim McGuinness - Managed and won U21 All Ireland prior to taking over at Senior so would have known and been respected by a majority of players.
Eamonn Fitz - Selector under Jack O'Connor and highly respected player. Coached Hogan Cup winners the year previous to taking over if I'm not mistaken.

Lost final.

McStay got Mayo to an AI u-21 final in 2001 that lost to Tyrone.

Fair enough I had researched that wrong about McGuinness. He too is an exception. But 2001 is a long time ago now and a lot has changed in football in the meantime.

twohands!!!

Eamonn Fitzmaurice  was Kerry U21 manager for a year as well - they lost to Cork in the Munster final by a point (the previous year was the year Kerry lost to Cork by something like 20 points at the same grade)

Rossfan

Word in the bushes is JE and Kearns to be reappointed but a new backroom team.
I expect Syfín and me self to be getting phone calls shortly ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shrewdness

Surprised that Evans has gone at this stage. It's a month since the shambles in Enniskillen. He recently met Co Board Executive and expressed the desire for another year. This was approved by the Executive and was to be rubber stamped at tonight's meeting of club delegates. There were rumours of opposition in some clubs, but Evans' stance was unexpected.