Roscommon's next Manager

Started by Rossfan, July 20, 2015, 10:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 21, 2015, 11:40:21 PM

Peter Forde.

Should have got Mayo job twice but blazers have a long memory and he was never going to get the gig.

Had an impossible job after Johnno but was practical and saw what had to be done. But Galway were not ready to evolve and it seems even Kevin Walsh's more defensive approach is not going down among the cognoscenti in the part of the county that plays football.

Forde should be considered.

70% Evans stays, 30% he goes I'd say. CB sounds like they back him so the decision is likely his to make.

Forde, Mullholland are names we can do better than in the county. If we went outside the county it should only be for the very best managers in the country and seeing as we're not Mayo that means a local appointment is more likely.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 11:50:20 PM

Peter Forde.

Should have got Mayo job twice but blazers have a long memory and he was never going to get the gig.

Had an impossible job after Johnno but was practical and saw what had to be done. But Galway were not ready to evolve and it seems even Kevin Walsh's more defensive approach is not going down among the cognoscenti in the part of the county that plays football.

70% Evans stays, 30% he goes I'd say. CB sounds like they back him so the decision is likely his to make.

Forde, Mullholland are names we can do better than in the county. If we went outside the county it should only be for the very best managers in the country and seeing as we're not Mayo that means a local appointment is more likely.

Mayo have never appointed the best managers in the country - unfortunately.

Believe me, Forde is a different level to Mulholland. You won t have to listen to embarrassing guff for a start but different league.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 11:25:28 PM
Quote from: weareros on July 21, 2015, 11:21:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 05:25:34 PM
Quote from: weareros on July 21, 2015, 05:14:56 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 02:53:23 PM
Quote from: theyellowbus on July 21, 2015, 02:47:04 PM
I aint saying he is a genius simply making the point that he is still better than what we have within the county and is going to be the type of manager our CB will be looking at considering finances etc.
Unless we can unlock a gem in our county or persuade a mickey harte or Jim mcguinness type manager (probably impossible) then the likes of the type of manager like mulholland (good underage but with senior inter county experience) is more than likely what we will end up with.

Dowd is a better manager than Mulholland.

He's had 3 big matches as a manager that I am aware of - 2 Connacht club championship games with Ballaghaderreen and 1 All-Ireland U21 with Roscommon. On 2 of those occasions his team were favourites to win and they lost on both occasionss to Eastern Harps and Tyrone. How you can say he is a better manager than Mulholland who has won All-Ireland U21s is beyond me. I hope he goes on to be a great Roscommon manager but let's no build him up until he has the results to justify it. Time we learned our lesson in Roscommon to stop hyping up everything under the "sun".

??

Dowd in his one season with Ballagh in 2012 won a Mayo senior without Andy Moran and beat the Sligo champions in the Connacht semi-final, only losing to the Brigids team that won the AI. He wasn't manager in 2008 (that was Frank Kelly) when Ballagh lost to Eastern Harps so you're way off-base.

Dowd has a lot of experience at underage with nearly every player on the senior panel. In the event of Evans being gone he's easily in the top three in-county options, and well ahead of what someone like Mulholland can offer us.

My apologies on 2008. But he is still 0 for 2 in his Connacht finals. Again, I hope he goes on to be a great manager but has a bit to go yet.

He's 1 for 2 in Connacht finals.. maybe you'll get his record right on the third attempt ;)

Ah yes. Should have been 0 for 2 in his biggest tests, one being All-Ireland semi where he was outwitted by Tyrone sideline. Not meant to be a personal attack, I appreciate his role in 2006 Minor victory. I am not sure if he is right man for u21 next year but let's see what he can do with a strong U21 panel next year before we anoint him next senior manager.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 22, 2015, 12:24:02 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2015, 11:50:20 PM

Peter Forde.

Mayo have never appointed the best managers in the country - unfortunately.

Believe me, Forde is a different level to Mulholland. You won t have to listen to embarrassing guff for a start but different league.

I meant money-wise, the big names want lots and lots of money to build what is essentially a professional back-room team. We have to cut our cloth differently to Dublin or even Mayo.

Forde was decent but not great as a manager at IC. I'd just prefer getting someone at home that believes in the project before going for someone outside like Forde.

Rossfan

Fergal's young family situation rules out Co management any time soon.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: weareros on July 22, 2015, 12:33:08 AM
I aint saying he is a genius simply making the point that he is still better than what we have within the county and is going to be the type of manager our CB will be looking at considering finances etc.
Unless we can unlock a gem in our county or persuade a mickey harte or Jim mcguinness type manager (probably impossible) then the likes of the type of manager like mulholland (good underage but with senior inter county experience) is more than likely what we will end up with.

He's had 3 big matches as a manager that I am aware of - 2 Connacht club championship games with Ballaghaderreen and 1 All-Ireland U21 with Roscommon. On 2 of those occasions his team were favourites to win and they lost on both occasionss to Eastern Harps and Tyrone. How you can say he is a better manager than Mulholland who has won All-Ireland U21s is beyond me. I hope he goes on to be a great Roscommon manager but let's no build him up until he has the results to justify it. Time we learned our lesson in Roscommon to stop hyping up everything under the "sun".

??

Dowd in his one season with Ballagh in 2012 won a Mayo senior without Andy Moran and beat the Sligo champions in the Connacht semi-final, only losing to the Brigids team that won the AI. He wasn't manager in 2008 (that was Frank Kelly) when Ballagh lost to Eastern Harps so you're way off-base.

Dowd has a lot of experience at underage with nearly every player on the senior panel. In the event of Evans being gone he's easily in the top three in-county options, and well ahead of what someone like Mulholland can offer us.

My apologies on 2008. But he is still 0 for 2 in his Connacht finals. Again, I hope he goes on to be a great manager but has a bit to go yet.

He's 1 for 2 in Connacht finals.. maybe you'll get his record right on the third attempt ;)

Ah yes. Should have been 0 for 2 in his biggest tests, one being All-Ireland semi where he was outwitted by Tyrone sideline. Not meant to be a personal attack, I appreciate his role in 2006 Minor victory. I am not sure if he is right man for u21 next year but let's see what he can do with a strong U21 panel next year before we anoint him next senior manager.

Ye have to stop the U21 stuff anyway. I m watching the Good Food channel now and that is about as relevant as U21 football. Or its managers. Somebody was promoting Mulholland because he won underage but all I remember him as a senior Galway manager was being cocky (for a while) and promoting his Daddy's bookmaking business with some gimmick or other before a Mayo/Galway championship match.

Forde was a genuine suggestion.

Gael85

How about Stephen Rochford for job? Done great job with Corofin

Rossfan

Underage and Sigerson is for gasùinìns. The FBD and NFL is for maneens but it takes MEN to win Senior Championships.
We have a lot of stepping up to do but with the right management we can do it.

moysider

Quote from: Gael85 on July 22, 2015, 01:20:26 AM

Mentioned him earlier. Hopefully Mayo will get him. But he may have been snubbed already for an underage gig. We re inclined to mess it up.

weareros

Quote from: moysider on July 22, 2015, 01:12:34 AM

??

Ye have to stop the U21 stuff anyway. I m watching the Good Food channel now and that is about as relevant as U21 football. Or its managers. Somebody was promoting Mulholland because he won underage but all I remember him as a senior Galway manager was being cocky (for a while) and promoting his Daddy's bookmaking business with some gimmick or other before a Mayo/Galway championship match.

Did Mayo's 2006 All-Ireland have no relevance in the overall scheme of things? Not to mention the total dominance  in Connacht at this grade for the second half of that decade.

Did those All-Ireland's in early 80s when Johno unearthed players like Noel Durkin play a part in the strong senior team that emerged from 85-89?

Come on you just want us to let you start winning those again.

moysider

Quote from: weareros on July 22, 2015, 01:37:11 AM

??

Did Mayo's 2006 All-Ireland have no relevance in the overall scheme of things? Not to mention the total dominance  in Connacht at this grade for the second half of that decade.

Did those All-Ireland's in early 80s when Johno unearthed players like Noel Durkin play a part in the strong senior team that emerged from 85-89?

Nope. Belt away.

Likes of Keegan, Vaughan. McLoughlin, DOC were on modest enough teams. All about the player.

That AI minor team of ours that won in 2013. We might get one or two more  but could take a couple of years. Of course we remember people wanted the whole ff line made senior straight away ::)

Gael85

Quote from: moysider on July 22, 2015, 02:05:30 AM
Quote from: weareros on July 22, 2015, 01:37:11 AM

??

Nope. Belt away.

Likes of Keegan, Vaughan. McLoughlin, DOC were on modest enough teams. All about the player.

That AI minor team of ours that won in 2013. We might get one or two more  but could take a couple of years. Of course we remember people wanted the whole ff line made senior straight away ::)

Tommy Conroy was very impressive on that 2013 team.Will he get a run next year with seniors?Thought he would got a chance this year

whitey

Quote from: Gael85 on July 22, 2015, 01:20:26 AM

Don't be givin them ideas

Shrewdness

If John Evans ever read this thread, he'd have a good laugh at the whole lot of us..You can nearly hear him saying, '' yerra lads, i never knew there was a vacancy in Roscommon''.. The reality at this stage is that he's staying on..Firstly, if the rumours are true, it seems as if the Co Board want everyone to remain in place.. Secondly, imo, if he himself was going to step down, i believe he would have done so by now.

Rossfan

Good Oul Co Board. Don't be putting any Oul trouble on ourselves by looking for a new manager.
Sure everything will be alright on the night.
If I was going from Ros town to Galway and found myself in Longford I'd change direction.