Tyrone v Sligo Sat 1st August 2015 Croke Park - 13 years on

Started by Fuzzman, July 19, 2015, 03:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 22, 2015, 09:41:33 PM
I'm afraid I agree about Mattie and how a bit like what we used to say about Petey, you just feel he has so much more to give.
We're not lashing into anybody just giving our opinion and personally I just feel if Mickey could communicate better with the players then some teaking could be done.
For example instead of Mattie always slowing the move down and waiting for the tackle why doesn't he release it and sprint into space for the return.
I know all players are different but if he and others looked at the off the ball movement of say Bradley or McCurry.
I just feel Mattie is just too one dimensional and we could be getting so much more out of him.
Maybe that's a back handed compliment that we know he has so much to offer.
To me him and Sean should be the leaders in this team but so far I'm not seeing it.
Urgency is the main thing I see lacking but of course he still put in a decent shift on Sat but compare him to how Petey, Colm or especially McNabb approach the game then he needs a good kick up the arse IMHO.

I was watching big O'Shea at FF for Mayo the last two games. He bursts his ass to get every ball and doesn't fade in and out of the game.

Harsh, yes, but my honest opinion. If we're gonna be a top 4 team we need our better players like Sean and Mattie to step up to the plate and lift those around them. So far its the U21s were hoping to lift the team.

Ehhhh. And I'm a big fan of him as a player.

BennyHarp

I'm afraid I agree about Mattie and how a bit like what we used to say about Petey, you just feel he has so much more to give.
We're not lashing into anybody just giving our opinion and personally I just feel if Mickey could communicate better with the players then some teaking could be done.
For example instead of Mattie always slowing the move down and waiting for the tackle why doesn't he release it and sprint into space for the return.
I know all players are different but if he and others looked at the off the ball movement of say Bradley or McCurry.
I just feel Mattie is just too one dimensional and we could be getting so much more out of him.
To me him and Sean should be the leaders in this team but so far I'm not seeing it.
Urgency is the main thing I see lacking but of course he still put in a decent shift on Sat but compare him to how Petey, Colm or especially McNabb approach the game then he needs a good kick up the arse IMHO.

I was watching big O'Shea at FF for Mayo the last two games. He bursts his ass to get every ball and doesn't fade in and out of the game.

Harsh, yes, but my honest opinion. If we're gonna be a top 4 team we need our better players like Sean and Mattie to step up to the plate and lift those around them. So far its the U21s were hoping to lift the team.

Fuzz, you seem to be giving the impression that Donnelly is somewhat lazy or lacking in urgency. Did you see the amount of tackling the lad put in on Saturday? And just how many times he made himself available for possession? Yes, he made a few mistakes but given the amount of possession he had it probably was just a bit more likely. Also, remember he virtually snuffed out the threat from possibly Tipp's best player who was no more than a bystander for most of the game. (Though I do appreciate O'Riordan has been pulled from pillar to post and is virtually burned out for the year). Matty had a superb second half after the donkey work was put in during the first half. Look at the game as a whole, not just concentrating on a few mistakes that might stick out from his game. In my view, Matty is slowly playing himself back into form at the right time. Let's hope the whole team are doing the same.
That was never a square ball!!

ONeill

An honest opinion I understand but I find this analysis infuriating. Donnelly put in a Herculean effort in the first half in terms of preventing Tipp from troubling the defence. Time and time and time again you'd see the ball spilling from Tipp possession because of a Donnelly tackle. And that's besides the amount of ball he handled.

I don't live in Tyrone but if your opinion of Donnelly was in the majority at home I wouldn't blame him if he threw the head up. We have a gem there and he's performing like it.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

AhNowRef

Mattie is a super player, one of our best for sure,  and he showed that again on Saturday but he could have been even better if he had not gave the ball away several times and not slowed the ball down so much when in possession...  Its the latter point that he could do with working on more as he cant do it all himself, esp with bigger fish to fry !!

Great player though but I agree that he could be even better !!

redhandefender

He definitely had poor first half and then improved dramatically. Potential to be our main man and I hope it all comes good for him. It is vital that a player of his skill, commitment and drive lead the way as the next generation.

Think he has yet to fully click this year hopefully it happens in croker

ONeill

Here's a blast from the past - the full 2002 NFL final v Cavan. Tyrone's first national senior title.

Note the Canavan magic from around the 40th minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6utbkUdTXU

ONeill

omaghjoe

Good man O'Neill... believe this or not disgracefully I have never seen this match before.

WT4E

Quote from: ONeill on July 24, 2015, 01:11:02 AM
Here's a blast from the past - the full 2002 NFL final v Cavan. Tyrone's first national senior title.

Note the Canavan magic from around the 40th minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6utbkUdTXU

Ah the red shorts - We haven't won anything of note since we have went to the all white strip!!!! Bring back the successful strip!!!

Fuzzman

I always loved the red shorts with the white tops but I just think we look a bit weak or pale in the all white.
Who makes this decisions?
Of course there are so many other factors
http://m.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/a-570918.html

Fuzzman

Has it been decided yet for sure who the winners of this game meet and when is it?
A lot of different views but what's the official view.
If Galway win do we ir Sligo have to play Monaghan

Hound

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 27, 2015, 01:05:17 PM
Has it been decided yet for sure who the winners of this game meet and when is it?
A lot of different views but what's the official view.
If Galway win do we ir Sligo have to play Monaghan
Tyrone and Galway win - Tyrone play Mayo

Tyrone and Donegal win - Tyrone play Monaghan

If Sligo win, they have to play Monaghan and the winners of the other game plays Mayo.

redhandefender

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 27, 2015, 12:52:09 PM
I always loved the red shorts with the white tops but I just think we look a bit weak or pale in the all white.

I think cork supporters might disagree with the article after the weekend

WT4E

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 27, 2015, 12:52:09 PM

I don't know how true it is but I heard somewhere that they paid someone to tell them that an all white strip was better for some reason stupid like cause it was all white that opponents found it more difficult to tackle them?? lol