Tyrone v Sligo Sat 1st August 2015 Croke Park - 13 years on

Started by Fuzzman, July 19, 2015, 03:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

I wouldn't go ripping into anything this week.  These guys are playing well and undoubtedly need to improve but for the moment let them continue to improve..   

ONeill

Quote from: WT4E on July 21, 2015, 09:49:09 AM
Sometimes I get the feeling of Matty Donnelly that he believes too much in all the hype around him. Don't get me wrong I think he's a great player and one of our best at the moment but I think he plays with over confidence at times.

Take Saturdays match when the game was tight and the pressure was on I think he gave away the ball on countless occasions because I think he was just saying I'm Matty Donnelly playing against Tipp sure they won't stop me.

Then when the game was basically all over he started to play brilliant as Tipp had stopped.

Compare this with Petey Harte when the game was tight he was unbelievable but when the game was wrapped up we hardly seen him probably because he let the rest get on with it and he had another role to fulfill.

I dunno maybe I'm being harsh but I would expect a whole lot better from Matty than his 1st half performance.

Very harsh. Was saying the other night - if you get the chance watch the game again. Apart from being on the ball more than any player in the first half (fact), he broke up countless Tipp possessions by knocking the ball out of their hands allowing others like Harte and Meyler to clean up. In the second half he didn't need to do that and got in on the scoring act. I agree he forced a couple of passes but for me he's up there in the top bracket of players in the country.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

redhandefender

Lucky he isn't on the clonoe starting 15 or he probably would have followed the derry generals orders and pulled out for their big championship run..........oh no wait!

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on July 21, 2015, 07:15:33 PM
Sometimes I get the feeling of Matty Donnelly that he believes too much in all the hype around him. Don't get me wrong I think he's a great player and one of our best at the moment but I think he plays with over confidence at times.

Take Saturdays match when the game was tight and the pressure was on I think he gave away the ball on countless occasions because I think he was just saying I'm Matty Donnelly playing against Tipp sure they won't stop me.

Then when the game was basically all over he started to play brilliant as Tipp had stopped.

Compare this with Petey Harte when the game was tight he was unbelievable but when the game was wrapped up we hardly seen him probably because he let the rest get on with it and he had another role to fulfill.

I dunno maybe I'm being harsh but I would expect a whole lot better from Matty than his 1st half performance.

Very harsh. Was saying the other night - if you get the chance watch the game again. Apart from being on the ball more than any player in the first half (fact), he broke up countless Tipp possessions by knocking the ball out of their hands allowing others like Harte and Meyler to clean up. In the second half he didn't need to do that and got in on the scoring act. I agree he forced a couple of passes but for me he's up there in the top bracket of players in the country.

I missed the game live so I can't comment on his performance but against Meath he won a ball from a kickout and immediately launched a 40 yard pass into our full forward line straight to the chest of either McCurry or Bradley who immediately turned and shot over the bar. It was at most 5-10 seconds of play from kickout to point and was IMO the best piece of play of the match. Not placing all the praise at Donnelly's feet as it was an excellent run and even better shot but I can see how those passes can go astray at times. If they work they seem exceptional but if no they can look pretty wasteful.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

T Fearon

It is now thirteen years since Art Mc Rory last managed Tyrone,the longest period since the Ice Age

ONeill

Quote from: T Fearon on July 21, 2015, 10:32:13 PM
It is now thirteen years since Art Mc Rory last managed Tyrone,the longest period since the Ice Age

I remember you got a lot of mileage out of that loss on this board, 13 years ago.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magpie seanie

With my family this is always a fixture that is interesting...until now. Maybe by Saturday week the enthusiasm will return but hard to see right now. Any assumptions you would make about how the team will set up/improve cannot be made in the light of what happened last Sunday. I suspect we'll rise a bit of a fight and give Tyrone a good test before going under by 4-6 points but I wouldn't put money on it.

Regarding 2002 - we were coming off a Connacht final defeat due to the manager picking completely the wrong team. They did a much better job against Tyrone and we saw what happened from there. That was a very good team, at its peak though. I know Tyrone are not as good as they were then either but their dismantling of Tipp (who I wouldn't be convinced we're better than) would indicate we've a lot to do to be competitive.

T Fearon

Yes Shane the gloating was in full swing.Tyrone eliminated by little Sligo in Round 4 as Armagh motored on to win Sam! Great days!

magpie seanie

Quote from: T Fearon on July 22, 2015, 05:35:07 AM
Yes Shane the gloating was in full swing.Tyrone eliminated by little Sligo in Round 4 as Armagh motored on to win Sam! Great days!

Ye were extremely lucky to get by "wee Sligo" after a replay yourselves. If the black card was in that time.....

In hiding

Quote from: tyroneman on July 21, 2015, 06:30:34 PM
Quote from: In hiding on July 21, 2015, 03:07:46 AM
Could someone please tell me what Aiden Mc Crory brings to the party, surely we have better half backs in the county.
Seriously, would he make the Clonoe starting 15.
Seriously ??

1. He's playing cornerback so not sure why finding a different half back is relevant
2. He's been part of a defence that has played fairly well this year
3. Last I checked Clonoe aren't playing Sligo so it doesn't matter if he would make their 15 or not
He hasn't been playing corner back, mc nabb has been playing in the corner

BennyHarp

Mickey isn't taking Sligo lightly.......

"Sligo didn't become a bad team in one game" - Harte
21 July 2015

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte insists that Sligo will provide formidable opposition to his Tyrone team at Croke Park on Saturday.

The Yeats County were blown away by Mayo in Sunday's Connacht final and their chances of putting it up to the Red Hands are being largely dismissed. But Harte is wary of them:

"That's what people do - sometimes they jump to conclusions," the Tyrone boss states in The Irish News. "If we take the aggregate performance between the Roscommon match and the Mayo game, then certainly Sligo would be a much more formidable outfit than if you look at the [Mayo] game as a single entity.

"They were actually quite superb against Roscommon who, at that time, fancied themselves to go a long way in the championship.

"Sligo didn't become a bad team in one game. The wheels came off the wagon very early for them and Mayo had the capacity to punish that because of their physicality and because they got the breaks early.

"Sligo had chances for points before the early goals and if those had gone over they could have changed the complexion of the game. They didn't deserve to be beaten by as much because of the quality that's in their team, but on the day nothing went right for them. In the midst of all that, Sligo getting 2-11 is good going."

That was never a square ball!!

WT4E

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 22, 2015, 10:22:19 AM

21 July 2015

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte insists that Sligo will provide formidable opposition to his Tyrone team at Croke Park on Saturday.

The Yeats County were blown away by Mayo in Sunday's Connacht final and their chances of putting it up to the Red Hands are being largely dismissed. But Harte is wary of them:

"That's what people do - sometimes they jump to conclusions," the Tyrone boss states in The Irish News. "If we take the aggregate performance between the Roscommon match and the Mayo game, then certainly Sligo would be a much more formidable outfit than if you look at the [Mayo] game as a single entity.

"They were actually quite superb against Roscommon who, at that time, fancied themselves to go a long way in the championship.

"Sligo didn't become a bad team in one game. The wheels came off the wagon very early for them and Mayo had the capacity to punish that because of their physicality and because they got the breaks early.

"Sligo had chances for points before the early goals and if those had gone over they could have changed the complexion of the game. They didn't deserve to be beaten by as much because of the quality that's in their team, but on the day nothing went right for them. In the midst of all that, Sligo getting 2-11 is good going."

Its lines like that that make me cringe when I hear the majority of Tyrone interviews and I'm from Tyrone.

WT4E

Quote from: ONeill on July 21, 2015, 07:15:33 PM

Possibly harsh - I just think that Donnelly is a class player but I'm not convinced about his current form. SOmetimes I look at him and think hes only playing at 90% but if he went to 100 he would be the difference of Tyrone going from QF to final.

I take your point on the possessions as I seen the Sky Sports stat but I would like to have seen an unforced error stat too because I think he may have led that one too.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 22, 2015, 10:22:19 AM

21 July 2015

Tyrone by 11

Fuzzman

I'm afraid I agree about Mattie and how a bit like what we used to say about Petey, you just feel he has so much more to give.
We're not lashing into anybody just giving our opinion and personally I just feel if Mickey could communicate better with the players then some teaking could be done.
For example instead of Mattie always slowing the move down and waiting for the tackle why doesn't he release it and sprint into space for the return.
I know all players are different but if he and others looked at the off the ball movement of say Bradley or McCurry.
I just feel Mattie is just too one dimensional and we could be getting so much more out of him.
Maybe that's a back handed compliment that we know he has so much to offer.
To me him and Sean should be the leaders in this team but so far I'm not seeing it.
Urgency is the main thing I see lacking but of course he still put in a decent shift on Sat but compare him to how Petey, Colm or especially McNabb approach the game then he needs a good kick up the arse IMHO.

I was watching big O'Shea at FF for Mayo the last two games. He bursts his ass to get every ball and doesn't fade in and out of the game.

Harsh, yes, but my honest opinion. If we're gonna be a top 4 team we need our better players like Sean and Mattie to step up to the plate and lift those around them. So far its the U21s were hoping to lift the team.