Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

funny thing is
hyde might well be big enough. mainly because  some people  wont go because of the location,
A similar thing happen in Limerick last year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Shrewdness

Fair play to you Bod Mor. Your post is a breath of fresh air when compared to the anti- Roscommon shite that usually flows from most of the Mayo posters. Us Rossies actually find it amusing......Larryin89 is calling for a fairer system re venues. What he's really looking for is a system that would have seen this match go ahead in Castlebar. That's what it's all about larry isn't it.. Wait until Hyde Park is redeveloped. That's where the action will be. Was it Padraig Duffy who said earlier this year, that the Croke Park hierarchy will ensure that Hyde Park gets it's dues once the work is done.

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 25, 2015, 12:01:22 PM
Anyway back to the football

Any chance Shine will be back for this match?

I'd be worried about the Rossies attack, if Shine is back then it's a serious outfit with Cregg, Kilbride and the two Murtaghs.
We'll be lucky to break even at midfield too.

With them having home advantage now as well we could be in real trouble
Kilbride should have recovered from the hamstring injury that he struggled with in Sligo too.
It'll be a big game for Roscommon, Connacht title this year will seriously build on back to back promotions and impressive form in January too.

No doubt the Roscommon posters in this thread have their finger on the pulse over there...what's the mood like? We need more input from ye badly...maybe some sort of Roscommon Connacht final opinion text alert service could be provided?

Regards

The rest of Connacht

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2015, 05:29:30 PM
Agree with that Sligoman. Would have no qualms about going with Criostoir despite him not playing up to potential the last day. We have a couple of decent option in reserve if it doesn't go well for him but I reckon he'll bounce back. I think Saturday was just "one of those days" for him when little went right.

The marking arrangements will be interesting alright. I imagine if Higgins takes Marren then Marren will stay in all game.

Well Mark Brehony is well able to play the deep playmaker role and his nephew Cian is well able to pick a pass too. Throw in Niall Murphy who is a superb passer of the ball and there is no shortage of creativity in the middle for Sligo provided they get the ball. I think we(Mayo) need to ensure they are spending their time scraping for possession under huge pressure to counteract this and I also think we need to find away to make Brendan Egan's life uncomfortable because he is steady as a rock in the CHB for Sligo. If we can weaken this lane for a running game this in turn will leave some space in front of the inside line for Moran/O'Connor/Aido to exploit.
I think Sligo won't worry too much about leaving Marren inside because people might forget after the last match that he is a more natural deadly finisher than a playmaking CHF. I hope we can hold our structure at full back and CHB better than we did against Galway. Hopefully Kevin Mac can sweep back between the line to strengthen the link between these lines.I would say Boyle will shadow Ewing with Keegan been given the job to keep Brehony quiet.

Crete Boom

Quote from: The Black Mamba on June 25, 2015, 09:52:54 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on June 25, 2015, 04:25:29 PM
Quote from: The Black Mamba on June 25, 2015, 03:52:10 PM
Okay so if not the Hyde where do you play it? Even Sligo supporters I know wouldn't travel to Salthill such is the congestion there. If it were in McHale Park, Sligo concede home advantage to Mayo. So while the Hyde is outdated, soon to be redeveloped thankfully, the only other alternatives are a wind tunnel where supporters will be all evening trying to get out of the city or a home match for Mayo, not fair to Sligo.

What are the plans for the redeveloped Hyde Park?? I always thought you could make a great 25000 capacity stadium out of it. There is enough room to have two lovely stands with terracing on either side of the pitch containing shops toilets etc.. and I would just leave the terraces at either end alone unless they need remedial work done to them. The pitch could do with a serious overhaul too as I was shocked at how rundown it was (and the rest of the ground) last year even compared to 2011/2012!!Maybe widen the access road from the golf links road and some extra turnstiles as well if possible.

Never minded the Hyde as long as I wasn't sitting up in the stand. I agree with Syferus if it is dry the concrete benches in front of the stand are better than the stand seats. If it's raining the back of the main terrace is probably the best view while staying dry.

Should be a good match with Sligo's strongest performers the last day matching up against arguably our weakest positions (Hughes v full back , Marren and or Mark Brehony v CHB. I think we might have to seriously push up on the kickouts to force Devanney to kick down the middle to try and dominate possession. Also we mightn't get as much joy with O'Shea at fullforward as McDonnell will certainly pose more of a challenge than Finian Hanley.

Cillian O Connor v Donovan will be an interesting battle as will Higgins v Kelly  , although I would be tempted to put Higgins on Marren so if Marren goes out the field he would have to worry about Higgins doing damage attacking Sligo as well as marking him tightly. Also maybe start Ger Caff in place of Barrett to shadow Kelly?? and leave Kevin Keane to battle it out with Pat Huges?? Cunniffe will probably pick up Marren though or maybe Kelly??

Plenty of options for Noel and Pat but we definitely need someone ( Not Parsons like the last day) to drop back into a deep center back role so as not leave huge space in front of our full back line or a huge hole to run into like we did against Galway!!
I think it's still in the planning stage so I've no idea what they intend to do with it. Seriously in need of some redevelopment though. Agree with your suggestions but the scoreboard could do with replacing too  ;)

I think the Rossies should keep the vintage scoreboard Mamba!! If hipsters can have their vintage t shirts , bikes and bags the maybe we should have our own version of GAA hipsterism starting with keeping the legendary black and white scoreboards!! ;D ;D Maybe make sure all shops have to sell Choc Ices and Loop the Loops!!! ;D

Crete Boom

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2015, 10:18:55 PM
Well done Crete on posting about the game and not bitching about the venue.
I believe the broad plan is to move the pitch nearer the stand which would mean losing the front half of the concrete seats.
The back half to be built up and incorporated into the stand.
Was a suggestion that a new stand would be built opposite with dressing rooms etc under it.
Better wait till we see what the Project managers come up with.

That would be a solid development plan if true Ross. You could concentrate on the pitch and building the new stand where the terrace is and have the improved original stand up and running as well which would have the ground ready in one close season. Also it would give you scope to redevelop the original stand and work on the end terraces/entrances/extra turnstiles/shops/toilets etc.. in say year two during the close season having everything done as quickly as possible within a reasonable budget!!

Rudi

The Mayo lads are right. The game should be played in White Elephant Park. Sligo, Leitrim, Galway and Ros should get 20 million together to help pay of the debts of this fine stadium, with a lovely scoreboard and super toilet facilities (that the locals don't use, instead just piss up against the walls). Hand the Nestor cup to them now and sure while we are at it, scrawl them down for the 2016 as well. Seriously do we want these moaners down in the Hyde? Very best of luck to Sligo, no matter where the game is played.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 26, 2015, 09:33:21 AM
Fair play to you Bod Mor. Your post is a breath of fresh air when compared to the anti- Roscommon shite that usually flows from most of the Mayo posters. Us Rossies actually find it amusing......Larryin89 is calling for a fairer system re venues. What he's really looking for is a system that would have seen this match go ahead in Castlebar. That's what it's all about larry isn't it.. Wait until Hyde Park is redeveloped. That's where the action will be. Was it Padraig Duffy who said earlier this year, that the Croke Park hierarchy will ensure that Hyde Park gets it's dues once the work is done.
Ah, c'mon now, don't be like that! ;D
Maybe you take what passes for intellectual debate on an internet forum far too seriously. Some of you definitely find " the anti- Roscommon shite" amusing since they go out of their way to rise a row in the first place.
There's a few hardy bucks on your side of the mearing fence that could start a row in a graveyard.
Generally, especially when I have nothing better to do, I'll give them better than I got, if ye follow me but there's no malice intended on my part. Ye could hop fucks of some of your crowd all day and they'd come back for more.
AS I see it, the Sligo CB have complained publicly about the selection of the Hyde for the final. I don't know any Sligo fan on this board or elsewhere who is happy with the CC's decision so there are more than Mayo people bitching about your fecking ground.
My main memories of my most recent visits to the Hyde are the trips to the nearest dry cleaners to get my trousers cleaned with all the mud that got stuck on 'em in that boggy field beside the stadium. That's not to mention the need to get the hoover out and try and get rid of all the muck that 3 or 4 people took in with them. All that and being pissed on even when I was sitting in the stand.
What Paraic Duffy had to say isn't worth the full of me arse of burnt snow, as one of my Donegal buddies once put it.
We've all heard those promises before and in those straitened times, I expect we will hear them again and maybe another again before anything is done at the Hyde.
In any event, we're worrying about this year's final not an indeterminate date somewhere down the line.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

The only reason any Mayo person could be upset is because it's not being played at home because only a madman could think Salthill was a better location. Which flies in the face of the 'let's be fair to Sligo' commentary here pre-Hyde annoucement..

The only reason a Sligo person could be upset is if they failed ordinary level Geography in the Junior Cert.

Shrewdness

Fair play to Mick Rock, the CC president. Just a few months into his term, and already a condemned Hyde Park is staging Connacht Finals again... Lar, why don't you take a leaf out of John Maughan's book and wear shorts the next time you're in Hyde Park. Look at the money you'd save on dry cleaning.

Goin Down

Remember This.

Mac2

Willie Joe blog getting upset about f**k all, there's a precious git if there was ever one with his house rules and what not which he routinely breaks himself as he sees fit.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on June 26, 2015, 11:52:59 AM
The only reason any Mayo person could be upset is because it's not being played at home because only a madman could think Salthill was a better location. Which flies in the face of the 'let's be fair to Sligo' commentary here pre-Hyde annoucement..

The only reason a Sligo person could be upset is if they failed ordinary level Geography in the Junior Cert.
Et tu Brute or Syfe or whoever!
Here was me thinking you were one of the (extremely) few Rossies who had a biteen of sense but there she goes anyway.
You happen to be insulting the Sligo CB and most of the Sligo posters here who wanted to go to Salthill at any cost. Nothing flies in the face of anything Mayo posters have have said about the "let's be fair to Sligo" attitude and plenty of Mayos have said that and with good reason.
If we happened to win in Castlebar, there would be no amount of criticism that we had an unfair advantage.
If we happen to win the five-in-a-row, let it be done on the field of play and I honestly think no Mayo fan would have it otherwise.
You can't really blame Sligo or Leitrim for that matter, if neither has a ground capable of staging a Connacht final but your shower has been promising a new and totally re-vamped Hyde ever since Fionn Mac Cumhail was in short trousers.
So the game goes ahead at the Hyde, which is somewhat better than Salthill, but that doesn't mean that the place is suitable venue for the final.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mac2 on June 26, 2015, 12:38:46 PM
Willie Joe blog getting upset about f**k all, there's a precious git if there was ever one with his house rules and what not which he routinely breaks himself as he sees fit.

+1. Time to move on. Venue is sorted. Best hope now that nobody gets injured this weekend in club championship action.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 26, 2015, 12:45:32 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 26, 2015, 11:52:59 AM

Et tu Brute or Syfe or whoever!
Here was me thinking you were one of the (extremely) few Rossies who had a biteen of sense but there she goes anyway.
You happen to be insulting the Sligo CB and most of the Sligo posters here who wanted to go to Salthill at any cost. Nothing flies in the face of anything Mayo posters have have said about the "let's be fair to Sligo" attitude and plenty of Mayos have said that and with good reason.
If we happened to win in Castlebar, there would be no amount of criticism that we had an unfair advantage.
If we happen to win the five-in-a-row, let it be done on the field of play and I honestly think no Mayo fan would have it otherwise.
You can't really blame Sligo or Leitrim for that matter, if neither has a ground capable of staging a Connacht final but your shower has been promising a new and totally re-vamped Hyde ever since Fionn Mac Cumhail was in short trousers.
So the game goes ahead at the Hyde, which is somewhat better than Salthill, but that doesn't mean that the place is suitable venue for the final.

Nah, not insulting. Just saying it like it is. If the Sligo CB really preferred Salthill to the Hyde (as opposed to just campaigning for Salthill when it was assumed the Hyde was out of the question) they were being belligerent to their duty to their supporters' best interests. A Connacht final between Mayo and Sligo in Salthill with all the traffic going one direction would have been a smoldering wreck of an occasion more befitting an AA Traffic Watch bulletin than a sports report. Nevermind significantly less would have traveled. The Hyde is creaking but it can and has handled bigger crowds with little trouble. It won't be Croke Park West but if the fare's good on the field who really cares?

There's a first time for everything - John Prenty was dead right in what he did and that has absolutely nothing to do with it being the Hyde, matches should always be played in the nearest and fairest locations and in this situation the Hyde was that location in this case. Nothing more to it.

As Farr said it's time ye all moved on.