Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westbound

Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2015, 04:12:41 PM

I know Sligo have to be accommodated but playing a game at this dive while a more modern, bigger, all-seater stadium lies closer to both sets of supporters is daftness in the name of fairness.

I hope this fairness is implemented across the board and championship games involving the Dubs are played outside CP in fairness to the opposition who will never have the opportunity of playing the Dubs on their home patch in championship.

The connacht council have no control over the 'fairness' of the leinster championship!

macdanger2

Quote from: Jinxy on June 25, 2015, 04:15:25 PM
Could the Mayo lads please supply the rest of us with a list of stadiums they are willing to play in.
It'd avoid a lot of hassle.

Shag off back to your own thread, this is the Mayo v Roscommon Connacht final thread..........

Crete Boom

Quote from: The Black Mamba on June 25, 2015, 03:52:10 PM
Okay so if not the Hyde where do you play it? Even Sligo supporters I know wouldn't travel to Salthill such is the congestion there. If it were in McHale Park, Sligo concede home advantage to Mayo. So while the Hyde is outdated, soon to be redeveloped thankfully, the only other alternatives are a wind tunnel where supporters will be all evening trying to get out of the city or a home match for Mayo, not fair to Sligo.

What are the plans for the redeveloped Hyde Park?? I always thought you could make a great 25000 capacity stadium out of it. There is enough room to have two lovely stands with terracing on either side of the pitch containing shops toilets etc.. and I would just leave the terraces at either end alone unless they need remedial work done to them. The pitch could do with a serious overhaul too as I was shocked at how rundown it was (and the rest of the ground) last year even compared to 2011/2012!!Maybe widen the access road from the golf links road and some extra turnstiles as well if possible.

Never minded the Hyde as long as I wasn't sitting up in the stand. I agree with Syferus if it is dry the concrete benches in front of the stand are better than the stand seats. If it's raining the back of the main terrace is probably the best view while staying dry.

Should be a good match with Sligo's strongest performers the last day matching up against arguably our weakest positions (Hughes v full back , Marren and or Mark Brehony v CHB. I think we might have to seriously push up on the kickouts to force Devanney to kick down the middle to try and dominate possession. Also we mightn't get as much joy with O'Shea at fullforward as McDonnell will certainly pose more of a challenge than Finian Hanley.

Cillian O Connor v Donovan will be an interesting battle as will Higgins v Kelly  , although I would be tempted to put Higgins on Marren so if Marren goes out the field he would have to worry about Higgins doing damage attacking Sligo as well as marking him tightly. Also maybe start Ger Caff in place of Barrett to shadow Kelly?? and leave Kevin Keane to battle it out with Pat Huges?? Cunniffe will probably pick up Marren though or maybe Kelly??

Plenty of options for Noel and Pat but we definitely need someone ( Not Parsons like the last day) to drop back into a deep center back role so as not leave huge space in front of our full back line or a huge hole to run into like we did against Galway!!

moysider

Quote from: westbound on June 25, 2015, 04:16:21 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2015, 04:12:41 PM

I know Sligo have to be accommodated but playing a game at this dive while a more modern, bigger, all-seater stadium lies closer to both sets of supporters is daftness in the name of fairness.

I hope this fairness is implemented across the board and championship games involving the Dubs are played outside CP in fairness to the opposition who will never have the opportunity of playing the Dubs on their home patch in championship.

The connacht council have no control over the 'fairness' of the leinster championship!

Not just the Leinster final.

Say an AISF Donegal v Dublin in Clones or Castlebar.
                   Dublin v Galway in Thurles or Limerick.

sligoman

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 25, 2015, 04:25:29 PM
Okay so if not the Hyde where do you play it? Even Sligo supporters I know wouldn't travel to Salthill such is the congestion there. If it were in McHale Park, Sligo concede home advantage to Mayo. So while the Hyde is outdated, soon to be redeveloped thankfully, the only other alternatives are a wind tunnel where supporters will be all evening trying to get out of the city or a home match for Mayo, not fair to Sligo.

What are the plans for the redeveloped Hyde Park?? I always thought you could make a great 25000 capacity stadium out of it. There is enough room to have two lovely stands with terracing on either side of the pitch containing shops toilets etc.. and I would just leave the terraces at either end alone unless they need remedial work done to them. The pitch could do with a serious overhaul too as I was shocked at how rundown it was (and the rest of the ground) last year even compared to 2011/2012!!Maybe widen the access road from the golf links road and some extra turnstiles as well if possible.

Never minded the Hyde as long as I wasn't sitting up in the stand. I agree with Syferus if it is dry the concrete benches in front of the stand are better than the stand seats. If it's raining the back of the main terrace is probably the best view while staying dry.

Should be a good match with Sligo's strongest performers the last day matching up against arguably our weakest positions (Hughes v full back , Marren and or Mark Brehony v CHB. I think we might have to seriously push up on the kickouts to force Devanney to kick down the middle to try and dominate possession. Also we mightn't get as much joy with O'Shea at fullforward as McDonnell will certainly pose more of a challenge than Finian Hanley.

Cillian O Connor v Donovan will be an interesting battle as will Higgins v Kelly  , although I would be tempted to put Higgins on Marren so if Marren goes out the field he would have to worry about Higgins doing damage attacking Sligo as well as marking him tightly. Also maybe start Ger Caff in place of Barrett to shadow Kelly?? and leave Kevin Keane to battle it out with Pat Huges?? Cunniffe will probably pick up Marren though or maybe Kelly??

Plenty of options for Noel and Pat but we definitely need someone ( Not Parsons like the last day) to drop back into a deep center back role so as not leave huge space in front of our full back line or a huge hole to run into like we did against Galway!!

I would expect Maye to pick up O'Connor and Donovan to mark Andy Moran if Moran starts. I'd imagine it will be the same as the last day for Sligo providing no injuries crop up, thought Davey struggled a bit to get into the game before he was black carded but he is a big lad and we probably need some size around there. Curran and Gilmartin did well after coming in the last day so will be decent options to have available.

magpie seanie

Agree with that Sligoman. Would have no qualms about going with Criostoir despite him not playing up to potential the last day. We have a couple of decent option in reserve if it doesn't go well for him but I reckon he'll bounce back. I think Saturday was just "one of those days" for him when little went right.

The marking arrangements will be interesting alright. I imagine if Higgins takes Marren then Marren will stay in all game.

The Black Mamba

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 25, 2015, 04:25:29 PM

I think it's still in the planning stage so I've no idea what they intend to do with it. Seriously in need of some redevelopment though. Agree with your suggestions but the scoreboard could do with replacing too  ;)

moysider

John Prenty explains everything as only John can.

I wonder will there be scanners at the terrace entrance side for this one? Doesn t sound like it. Nuisance is there isn t.

Rossfan

Well done Crete on posting about the game and not bitching about the venue.
I believe the broad plan is to move the pitch nearer the stand which would mean losing the front half of the concrete seats.
The back half to be built up and incorporated into the stand.
Was a suggestion that a new stand would be built opposite with dressing rooms etc under it.
Better wait till we see what the Project managers come up with.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayo.mick

Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2015, 10:07:04 PM

I wonder will there be scanners at the terrace entrance side for this one? Doesn t sound like it. Nuisance is there isn t.

For season ticket holders? We all have to go in from the golf links road. That's the way I usually go in, at the back of the stand.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Syferus

Quote from: mayo.mick on June 25, 2015, 10:19:57 PM

For season ticket holders? We all have to go in from the golf links road. That's the way I usually go in, at the back of the stand.

Or as it's known, the correct entrance to the Hyde. To my eternal shame I used a neigbours' Cairde Maigheo card to get in to the match at the Hyde last year.. he wasn't bothered about going to a Connacht match, iirc :o

moysider

What happens when your friends and family have terrace tickets? Very few could have a whole family on season tickets? I just want to be in the terrace with the rest. I don t want to be sitting in the stand on my own.
With no phone coverage in Salthill, I couldn t find anybody after 'having' to enter on the stand side. Watched the game on my own then. Not much fun except the pints in the pub before the game. Mine are fairly grown up but how does it work if the kids are young enough?

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2015, 10:38:52 PM

What happens when your friends and family have terrace tickets? Very few could have a whole family on season tickets? I just want to be in the terrace with the rest. I don t want to be sitting in the stand on my own.
With no phone coverage in Salthill, I couldn t find anybody after 'having' to enter on the stand side. Watched the game on my own then. Not much fun except the pints in the pub before the game. Mine are fairly grown up but how does it work if the kids are young enough?

Never been anyone that checked you had a terrace ticket at the Hyde in my experience. In fairness I've never been on the terrace for a Connacht final so you'd want to get confirmation from someone who has but once you get into the ground you should be able to get on the terrace.

Certainly nothing stops you getting to the terrace from going round the back of the town end goal when you come in the Golf Links entertance.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2015, 10:54:07 PM

Never been anyone that checked you had a terrace ticket at the Hyde in my experience. In fairness I've never been on the terrace for a Connacht final so you'd want to get confirmation from someone who has but once you get into the ground you should be able to get on the terrace.

Certainly nothing stops you getting to the terrace from going round the back of the town end goal when you come in the Golf Links entertance.

Of course but how do you find say your kids again - esp when there is no mobile coverage. Which there wasn t in Salthill.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 25, 2015, 11:31:58 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2015, 10:54:07 PM

Of course but how do you find say your kids again - esp when there is no mobile coverage. Which there wasn t in Salthill.

There's masts on top of the stand at the Hyde, you'll have no trouble getting a phone call made at the Hyde Moy 8)