Meath vs Westmeath - Leinster Semi-Final 28/6/15 (Croke Park)

Started by thejuice, June 14, 2015, 11:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2015, 11:40:31 PM
Also, the players noticeably ran out of puff in the last 10 minutes.
Eamonn Wallace was zipping around the place in the 1st half but looked about 5 yards slower in 2nd half.
He had a long lay-off so probably not match-fit anyway, but what's the excuse with the rest of them?
I'm banging this drum for years, WE ARE NOT FIT ENOUGH.

Westmeath looked really well conditioned . I've said it before he got rid of too many of the older players too quickly. Bringing kids off the bench today to do a man's job. They needed experience off the bench to steady the ship

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

thejuice

Having just watched the match there as I was in the hospital with my new born son. So thankfully this game doesn't hurt as much as it might have.

On my first watching of it seems Mick O'Dowd made the wrong changes at the wrong time. No reason for Rooney to go for Flanagan. Flanagan brought nothing. Mickey Burke might not have many fans here but he was better than what replaced him. MOD had his hand forced by the black cards, maybe I'm biased but I thought Reilly's was completely wrong. Tobin however definitely had to go.

Fair enough injuries also played a part as a lot of the lads out there wouldn't be on the starting 15 if we had a fully fit squad. But why the hell Martin was left to run riot in the corner against a small back like McGill on his own. That said we probably didn't have anyone but had we not made some unforced changes so early maybe something could have been done.

I'm half tempted to start saying MOD and Trevor Giles should pack their bags but again injuries haven't helped things. But I feel I'm making excuses for a poorly prepared squad. Young lads whatever nerves might effect them or any lack of talent but shouldn't look so jaded. The Westmeath team had as many young lads out there.

I think it's time for Mick to step aside. While I know he's had some bad luck at times and in the first half we played some great football among a scatter of poor errors. It hasn't all been bad but they've never put in a commanding display for a full 70mins under MOD. I'm really not sure who there is to replace him in the county. Dare I say it it's time to look outside the county again at someone who has some serious credentials. Although there is much more that needs to be done within the county if we are to start competing at the highest level. Watching Dublin now and seeing the standard we have to meet its clear we do not have any players that would get on that team.

I know people are a bit despondent about Gaelic football these days but if we ever get another team as good to match this current Dublin team we'll have some class matches to look forward to. Sadly Meath are just not there right now.

As for Paddy O'Rourke. Not all that surprised, he's always been liable to do that kind of thing. It's probably fair to say the brains didnt end up on his branch of the O'Rourke family tree. Even before the sending off he had a poor game with some sloppy kick outs and I think he could have done better for two of the goals.

Fair play to Westmeath though. They never stopped playing despite the scoreline and their management made the changes to try and win the game while MOD did the opposite.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Declan

Congrats on the new arrival juice- that's a fair summation of the game OK. to put things into context the Meath team that finished the game had 5 players from Ratoath on it  - and they aren't even favourites fro the Intermediate championship this year. No players from current unbeaten league leaders Dunshaughlin, no one from Dunboyne, Kells or Trim so Meath football is in a really bad place at the moment. Look at what happened the minors this weekend - beaten by Longford and a lad (rugby player with Belvo) who has only played 2 minor league games for his club drafted into the panel on Tuesday night without ever having been at a training session.
Seamus Kenny has a serious task ahead of him if he is trying to restructure the underage development set up.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on June 28, 2015, 11:11:52 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on June 28, 2015, 10:05:44 PM
Just saw O'Rourke's challenge that got him sent off.

He could have done real & lasting damage to a man who, in all likelihood, has to go to work tomorrow & a lengthy ban is called for.

And so has Paddyvto go to work too.

The online shite he is getting is crazy.

He's fond of using Twitter as a platform for trolling other IC players.

INDIANA

Quote from: Declan on June 29, 2015, 07:54:00 AM
Congrats on the new arrival juice- that's a fair summation of the game OK. to put things into context the Meath team that finished the game had 5 players from Ratoath on it  - and they aren't even favourites fro the Intermediate championship this year. No players from current unbeaten league leaders Dunshaughlin, no one from Dunboyne, Kells or Trim so Meath football is in a really bad place at the moment. Look at what happened the minors this weekend - beaten by Longford and a lad (rugby player with Belvo) who has only played 2 minor league games for his club drafted into the panel on Tuesday night without ever having been at a training session.
Seamus Kenny has a serious task ahead of him if he is trying to restructure the underage development set up.

Because he made the silly mistake of just going for pace. You have to be able to play too. Trying to match Dublin without the underage structure is just silly. You pick your best players and come up with your own structure that suits the players you have. When you get that then look at beating Dublin - not before it

Hardy

Congrats, Juice. the future of the Vincents is secure. I agree with Jinxy's summation of the game. Saves me waffling on. It's all very depressing. I don't mean the game - I've already lost all hope for Meath football for the foreseeable future. I mean the people on here who have no concept of sport. All they can find to talk about in what was a tremendous win and for Westmeath and an entertaining occasion for the neutral is some perceived wrongdoings by one side or another. Why do they watch sport? It puzzles me.

The Westmeath crowd were great yesterday. It might have been different if I had any hope that our team would achieve anything, but the blow of defeat was softened by watching the sheer joy of the WH supporters.

AZOffaly

I remember being in Cusack Park in Mullingar back in 1984 when Westmeath beat Dublin in the Centenary Cup I think it was. I remember the travelling Hill taking over behind one of the goals, but what sticks in my mind is an old man crying in the row in front of me when Westmeath won. I often think of that man, who is long dead now I'm sure. I haven't a clue who he is, or was, but he was obviously a long suffering Westmeath fan, and his joy that day was raw, and wonderful to see, even as an 11 year old. I thought of him in 1995 when Westmeath won the Minor All Ireland, and I thought of him in 2004. I thought of him yesterday too, and I'm sure there were a few more in Croke Park yesterday who surprised other young lads watching their tears of joy.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2015, 11:34:32 AM
I remember being in Cusack Park in Mullingar back in 1984 when Westmeath beat Dublin in the Centenary Cup I think it was. I remember the travelling Hill taking over behind one of the goals, but what sticks in my mind is an old man crying in the row in front of me when Westmeath won. I often think of that man, who is long dead now I'm sure. I haven't a clue who he is, or was, but he was obviously a long suffering Westmeath fan, and his joy that day was raw, and wonderful to see, even as an 11 year old. I thought of him in 1995 when Westmeath won the Minor All Ireland, and I thought of him in 2004. I thought of him yesterday too, and I'm sure there were a few more in Croke Park yesterday who surprised other young lads watching their tears of joy.

Indeed AZ, my Mum passed 5 weeks ago and I shed a tear for her and her Dad who soldiered in the Westmeath midfield for well over a decade with very little to show for it.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

I thought it was a super game.

For 45 or 50 minutes that must have been the best Meath have played in quite a while?
Obviously overshadowed by what happened next, when Westmeath were exceptional.

Can be very hard to turn the tide back when momentum goes against you in such a big way. Meath had a couple of opportunities to stem the tide, but they went for goals (which in fairness would have won the game) rather than taking points, and they paid the price.

I don't rule out Meath giving Tyrone a run for their money. There's goals in that forward line. 

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

waterfordlad

Great game. I'm more into hurling than football but if there were more games like that I'd get more interested in the 'big ball' game. Great scenes of emotion and celebration from Westmeath players and fans at the end. I know the cynics will say it was too open and naive but I'd rather see that than a dour low scoring game.

An Fhairche Abu

I was in Croke Park for the two matches yesterday and the scenes at the end of the game were fantastic, Westmeath turned around a game that was really gone for them and are to be applauded for their "never say die" efforts.
For Meath though, that was a disgraceful collapse, just the 1 point in the last 20 or 25 minutes tells the story and they had numerous chances to stop the rot within that period, it was unbelievable to see really.

Jinxy

I'll say one thing, despite all our failings if we had Graham Reilly & Eamonn Wallace fully fit and firing, we'd give most teams (outside top 3) a game for 60 minutes before collapsing in a heap.
Wallace was a joy to watch in the first half, he just ran out of steam in the 2nd half due to a lack of games/training in the last year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.