Meath vs Westmeath - Leinster Semi-Final 28/6/15 (Croke Park)

Started by thejuice, June 14, 2015, 11:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Wallace needs space though and Westmeath couldn't have been nicer in that regard. To me he lacks physicality and has poor close control, again Meath's S&C isn't the greatest, so the tighter the defence I'm not sure he can make things happen without the space.

As for Graham Reilly, that guy is the Lord Mayor of Whingeville, Co. Whinge. Don't think I ever say a player do more whinging than that guy yesterday.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Dinny, you just be quiet now like a good lad and don't draw my rage down upon you.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on June 29, 2015, 03:46:38 PM
Dinny, you just be quiet now like a good lad and don't draw my rage down upon you.

Sorry, just a bit punch drunk.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

In fairness our S&C has been an unmitigated disaster for about 10 years.
Westmeath were by some distance a fitter & stronger team.
Why?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on June 29, 2015, 03:56:08 PM
Why?

Nothing to do with science, John Doran is their S&C coach, John would be old school army. Real boot and bollix, unless he has changed. Was Kildare and Laois's conditioner under Micko. In the game since 94.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Actually now that you mention it, I vaguely remember hearing one of the Westmeath players saying earlier in the year they were back doing old school training.
Loads of laps etc.
They were ridiculed a bit for it at the time.

Hardy

You could see the lap training in their play yesterday, the way yer man ran around the edge of the pitch and along the end line, admired by Tobin as he went.

shark

Most of those Westmeath players have 4/5 years quality conditioning under them. Mostly done off their own bat. Paul Sharry and John Gilligan are both S&C coaches and own their own gyms, Sharry in Mgar and Gilligan in Athlone.  Interestingly the oldest players on the starting team yesterday were still U21 in 2010. Narrowly lost a Leinster final to AllIreland champions elect Dublin that year. 9 of yesterday's team played that day, plus Callum McCormack would have only for injury.

shark

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 29, 2015, 04:04:46 PM
Why?

Nothing to do with science, John Doran is their S&C coach, John would be old school army. Real boot and bollix, unless he has changed. Was Kildare and Laois's conditioner under Micko. In the game since 94.

He hasn't changed a bit Dinny!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: shark on June 29, 2015, 04:37:26 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 29, 2015, 04:04:46 PM
Why?

He hasn't changed a bit Dinny!

:)

Mentally there's a lot to be said for it, John is a nice lad. Interesting that Sharry is a S&C coach, I'd say like a lot of S&C coach he personally loves the strength side not so much the conditioning side. A lot of times he'd venture forward and take a breather, the contrast to the Dublin midfielders in the 2nd game would be massive.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I was thinking that yesterday Dinny. It's more S & (c) rather than S&C.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2015, 11:34:32 AM
I remember being in Cusack Park in Mullingar back in 1984 when Westmeath beat Dublin in the Centenary Cup I think it was. I remember the travelling Hill taking over behind one of the goals, but what sticks in my mind is an old man crying in the row in front of me when Westmeath won. I often think of that man, who is long dead now I'm sure. I haven't a clue who he is, or was, but he was obviously a long suffering Westmeath fan, and his joy that day was raw, and wonderful to see, even as an 11 year old. I thought of him in 1995 when Westmeath won the Minor All Ireland, and I thought of him in 2004. I thought of him yesterday too, and I'm sure there were a few more in Croke Park yesterday who surprised other young lads watching their tears of joy.

You've a good memory AZ, but I'll bet you don't remember the Leinster Championship game in Tullamore in 1967 when Westmeath beat the Dubs. I was there and I can still feel the pain. As far as I remember Westmeath scored a last minute goal to win by a point.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

AZOffaly

I was minus 6 for that one hill :) It's just funny the way some memories stick with you, and I'll always remember that old man crying from sheer joy.