Donegal will say No
6 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: June 18, 2015, 09:41:16 AM

larryin89

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 01, 2015, 03:03:37 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2015, 02:51:16 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 01, 2015, 02:38:22 PM
I asked this question already but no one answered. What kind of money are we talking about here? How much do Dublin get? How much would Longford need to compete?
( I know you didn't exactly say this but I believe this is what you're gettin at)

This aul bollix again , I used to be nigglin away at that argument too . It's up to your county to raise funds , some are more resourceful than others and put in more effort . Kerry have raised 4.5 million for their new centre and only last week had 1,000 dollar a plate fund raiser in the U.S. , I take my hat off to them . Mayo went over last year and arguably have the most successful diaspora of all and came back with a fookin biscuit tin with a few dollars in it , I kid you not.

The dubs have some heavy advantages but there is not a lot you can do to beat that other than sort your own stall out and put the right men/women in charge of raising funds.

The team that raises the most money wins?
Why in this country do we always look at things through a black and white prisim. If it was a case of who has the most money / population wins, Dublin would win it every year but they don't because Donegal knocked them out lat year and Mayo in 12  for example.

Some people need a dose of reality too, Longford are never going to win an all Ireland for the forseeable future same as Millwall are not going to win the premier league in England or Ireland win a World Cup . Life is unfair as they say.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

heffo

Quote from: 50fiftyball on June 01, 2015, 03:09:51 PM
Fully support the claim to make Dublin play some of their Championship games outside of Croke Park. If everyone else has to, why shouldn't they??

That's a question that the counties talking out of both sides of their mouths should answer - mandating their Leinster Council delegate to vote to keep Dublin in Croke Park so they can get the money for capital projects in their own county while complaining to the media how unfair it is.

larryin89

Quote from: heffo on June 01, 2015, 03:16:42 PM
Fully support the claim to make Dublin play some of their Championship games outside of Croke Park. If everyone else has to, why shouldn't they??

That's a question that the counties talking out of both sides of their mouths should answer - mandating their Leinster Council delegate to vote to keep Dublin in Croke Park so they can get the money for capital projects in their own county while complaining to the media how unfair it is.

And to add to that players and managers from the other 11 counties telling the media "Croke park is where they want to play the dubs" in commentary yesterday they quoted one of the Longford defenders in saying as much . Sean Boylan is a high profile example I can think of who used to shout it from the rooftops . Idiots is all I can say , at least if you took the dubs down to navan, portlaoise or Longford you're giving yourself an extra percentage or two but no they don't want that .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Teo Lurley

Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2015, 03:14:53 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 01, 2015, 03:03:37 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2015, 02:51:16 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 01, 2015, 02:38:22 PM
I asked this question already but no one answered. What kind of money are we talking about here? How much do Dublin get? How much would Longford need to compete?
( I know you didn't exactly say this but I believe this is what you're gettin at)

This aul bollix again , I used to be nigglin away at that argument too . It's up to your county to raise funds , some are more resourceful than others and put in more effort . Kerry have raised 4.5 million for their new centre and only last week had 1,000 dollar a plate fund raiser in the U.S. , I take my hat off to them . Mayo went over last year and arguably have the most successful diaspora of all and came back with a fookin biscuit tin with a few dollars in it , I kid you not.

The dubs have some heavy advantages but there is not a lot you can do to beat that other than sort your own stall out and put the right men/women in charge of raising funds.

The team that raises the most money wins?
Why in this country do we always look at things through a black and white prisim. If it was a case of who has the most money / population wins, Dublin would win it every year but they don't because Donegal knocked them out lat year and Mayo in 12  for example.

Some people need a dose of reality too, Longford are never going to win an all Ireland for the forseeable future same as Millwall are not going to win the premier league in England or Ireland win a World Cup . Life is unfair as they say.

You said Kerry raised a load of money, who won last years All Ireland?
Don't Donegal have a good bit of money coming into them?
I'm not sure how much money Mayo have.

What's the system they use in American football? I know there's a draft system but isn't the money spread out evenly? It seems to work quite well there. Why not try something simialr here? Give everyone a fair chance at it instead of the team with the most money having the best chance.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2015, 03:28:07 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 01, 2015, 03:16:42 PM

And to add to that players and managers from the other 11 counties telling the media "Croke park is where they want to play the dubs" in commentary yesterday they quoted one of the Longford defenders in saying as much . Sean Boylan is a high profile example I can think of who used to shout it from the rooftops . Idiots is all I can say , at least if you took the dubs down to navan, portlaoise or Longford you're giving yourself an extra percentage or two but no they don't want that .

Dessie Dolan and Westmeath were saying they would have liked to have Dublin in Mullingar last year. Most players in Leinster would prefer to play Dublin at home. They have no voice though and it's a decision made for monetary reasons.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Hound on June 01, 2015, 03:10:38 PM
Quote from: County Man on June 01, 2015, 02:47:30 PM
In terms of yesterdays "match" in Croke Park, what an absolute farce.

The GAA have created a monster and a monster needs a lot of food to be fed. In this case, food equals money.

This monster called Dublin is obese. Started to gain weight about 10 years ago and now is a food addict. Its now so big it can barely move. Thats why it always has all of its games at home.

Longford on the other hand is anorexic.

Something must be done by the GAA now before Longford dies. Lets spread the food around a bit more.

We are supposed to be an amateur organisation here. Lets make it fair or at least fairer.

Take Dubs out of Croker for a start. The monster needs to get some exercise.
Longford voted to keep the Dubs in Croker this year. Along with every Leinster county, bar Laois.

1976 championship:
Dublin 5-16 Longford 0-7

1988 championship:
Dublin 4-15 Longford 0-9

2005 championship
Dublin 2-23 Longford 0-10

Smaller counties have been getting hammerings from bigger counties since the inception of the inter-county system.
To say its a modern phenomenan down to money is just nonsense.
Should never have been a live on TV match though

This Yes, counties have been getting hidings down the years and you only put down a few of them, sure didn't Laois hockey Carlow the other week and Waterford got hammered over the weekend too...but how in god's name RTÉ decided to show this game live is beyond me. I don't want to be unfair to Longford, but everyone could see what was coming, (i.e a 15+ point win for Dublin).
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Teo Lurley

The GAA have created a monster and a monster needs a lot of food to be fed. In this case, food equals money.

This monster called Dublin is obese. Started to gain weight about 10 years ago and now is a food addict. Its now so big it can barely move. Thats why it always has all of its games at home.

Something must be done by the GAA now before Longford dies. Lets spread the food around a bit more.

We are supposed to be an amateur organisation here. Lets make it fair or at least fairer.

Longford voted to keep the Dubs in Croker this year. Along with every Leinster county, bar Laois.

1976 championship:
Dublin 5-16 Longford 0-7

1988 championship:
Dublin 4-15 Longford 0-9

2005 championship

Smaller counties have been getting hammerings from bigger counties since the inception of the inter-county system.

Longford have had many decent underage teams in recent years. They are far different than the 70's and 80's and even the last decade. No one can question that their standard of football is far higher than before, yet they are 27 points behind Dublin. There has to be a reason for it.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on May 31, 2015, 10:11:21 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 31, 2015, 10:01:37 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 31, 2015, 09:14:53 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 31, 2015, 08:06:53 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 31, 2015, 07:00:21 PM
Feck it.

That was terrible. Terrible.

But we got similar hammerings in the late 80s and early 90s from the likes of Laois, Offaly and Meath. Yet we survived.

Yes - get rid of provincials but don't annoy me with so-called 'two tier' championships cos you may as well go straight to All Ireland semi finals in May.

We deserve to compete as that's the only way you can see where you need to go.

Who remembers the clusterfuck the Tommy Cooper competition was?

You cannot compete effectively in the AI Championship from Div 3 and 4. Thats the reality.

THe championship to start with should be split into two Tiers with promotion and relegation applying.

I think we need a two tiered Championship with the winners/finalists of the 2nd tier comp getting rewarded with a place in the All Ireland series. Antrim/Longford/Carlow/Leitrim/Limerick/Waterford/Wicklow.

The problem is we're too big on tradition and when it comes down to it the delegates from these counties won't vote for it. It's a shame that pride should get in the way of progress. Winning the 2nd tier competition and getting to Croker would be a huge carrot for these sides and would give them something to build on for the future whereas what motivation is there for those teams in the current system??

Agreed but I dont know why anyone would want to train for 6 months to lose by 27 points. The tiered system has been a real success in hurling. But Football seems to be the Rubicon the GAA wont cross

What team has the tiered system ever uplifted in hurling? Hurling looks like an elitist closed shop to me. Not a good model for football or any sport to chase after.

Kerry are in Div 1B next year after rising year on year. laois have improved hugely from losing by 40 points to Cork 5 years ago.

Carlow and Westmeath have also improved. There are 10 competitive teams in the Mc Carthy Cup. There are maybe 5 at football.

The Insider

About the only piece of sense that Martin Mc Hugh spoke last night was that the provincial councils concentrate solely on the club structures and Croke Park oversees all Inter county competitions . At present the Provincial councils have too much power and most of those involved have no interest in ceding power to anyone. The status quo of provincial championships will continue. Has anyone outside of division 1 or 2 of the leagues won a provincial title since Offaly did it in 1997, but yet no change, Because of the chance associated with the luck of the draws , every 4 or 5 years one of the "weaker counties" could reach a provincial final where they will be duly dismantled . Although this wont happen in Munster since they allow Cork and Kerry to seeded .  A properly structured A and B All Ireland series would generate more interest and prevent to some extent what happened to us yesterday . For people who said Longford should have parked the bus , we tried that last year against Tipperary and look what happened. I also don't think if that those players not retired were available yesterday that the result would have been much different . Again the knives will be out for Jack , but would Jim Gavin have fared any better if the roles were reversed yesterday . No

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on June 01, 2015, 03:47:39 PM
Feck it.

But we got similar hammerings in the late 80s and early 90s from the likes of Laois, Offaly and Meath. Yet we survived.

Yes - get rid of provincials but don't annoy me with so-called 'two tier' championships cos you may as well go straight to All Ireland semi finals in May.

You cannot compete effectively in the AI Championship from Div 3 and 4. Thats the reality.

THe championship to start with should be split into two Tiers with promotion and relegation applying.

I think we need a two tiered Championship with the winners/finalists of the 2nd tier comp getting rewarded with a place in the All Ireland series. Antrim/Longford/Carlow/Leitrim/Limerick/Waterford/Wicklow.

The problem is we're too big on tradition and when it comes down to it the delegates from these counties won't vote for it. It's a shame that pride should get in the way of progress. Winning the 2nd tier competition and getting to Croker would be a huge carrot for these sides and would give them something to build on for the future whereas what motivation is there for those teams in the current system??

Agreed but I dont know why anyone would want to train for 6 months to lose by 27 points. The tiered system has been a real success in hurling. But Football seems to be the Rubicon the GAA wont cross

What team has the tiered system ever uplifted in hurling? Hurling looks like an elitist closed shop to me. Not a good model for football or any sport to chase after.

Kerry are in Div 1B next year after rising year on year. laois have improved hugely from losing by 40 points to Cork 5 years ago.

Carlow and Westmeath have also improved. There are 10 competitive teams in the Mc Carthy Cup. There are maybe 5 at football.

All the teams you have mentioned have improved. But they are all category B teams and will remain so for the foreseeable future. All would get absolutely hammered by the Top 8 and that won't change because the GAA set up a national competition for them.

I remember when there was only one competitive team in football from 1978 to 1986!

Captain Obvious

QuoteHas anyone outside of division 1 or 2 of the leagues won a provincial title since Offaly did it in 1997
Monaghan two years ago.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 01, 2015, 03:36:29 PM

1976 championship:
Dublin 5-16 Longford 0-7

1988 championship:
Dublin 4-15 Longford 0-9

2005 championship

Longford have had many decent underage teams in recent years. They are far different than the 70's and 80's and even the last decade. No one can question that their standard of football is far higher than before, yet they are 27 points behind Dublin. There has to be a reason for it.

Jack Sheedy would be the main reason from what I saw yesterday.

If  Harte, McGuinness or Fitzmaurice had been in charge of Longford for a period of time there is now way they would have taken a beating like that.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 01, 2015, 04:29:29 PM
QuoteHas anyone outside of division 1 or 2 of the leagues won a provincial title since Offaly did it in 1997
Monaghan two years ago.

But Monaghan were hardly a Division 3 level team, consistently ranked among the bottom half of counties. They had got promoted and weren't they only down for a year?

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2015, 04:28:04 PM
Feck it.

All the teams you have mentioned have improved. But they are all category B teams and will remain so for the foreseeable future. All would get absolutely hammered by the Top 8 and that won't change because the GAA set up a national competition for them.

I remember when there was only one competitive team in football from 1978 to 1986!

Yep. The divide between the haves and have nots is even more pronounced in hurling. The one benefit is competitve games but it's competitive games at a level that rarely mean those teams get to experience what they need to do to get to the next level. That's fine for the counties that have no ambitions of the big leagues but not so much for the others. Tiered works fine in the league but I'd wonder if it's the best solution to the championship.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2015, 04:40:57 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2015, 04:28:04 PM
Feck it.

Yep. The divide between the haves and have nots is even more pronounced in hurling. The one benefit is competitve games but it's competitive games at a level that rarely mean those teams get to experience what they need to do to get to the next level. That's fine for the counties that have no ambitions of the big leagues but not so much for the others. Tiered works fine in the league but I'd wonder if it's the best solution to the championship.

We've 4 tiers in football. The level of bullshit on this thread is quite extraodinary and is indicative of why the problem is what it is.

The hurling system has improved these counties. The idea that sticking 12 men behind the ball would have done anything for Longford yesterday is rubbish in my view. longford were beaten by 17 points by Tipperary last year who are stuck in Div3.

Says everything