18 (31.6%)
Longford pull off shock of the century
16 (28.1%)
Donegal will say No
6 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: June 18, 2015, 09:41:16 AM

Zulu

A tiered system isn't about making you competitive at the top level, it's about providing you with a suitable level of competition. There isn't any competition structure that will help Roscommon hurlers compete with Kilkenny, that can only happen through development of hurling within the county, but in the meantime it's much better to give the Roscommon hurlers appropriate competition rather than a pointless Connacht final against Galway.

Football desperately needs an overhaul. We have plenty of great teams but keeping them apart is daft. If we had Kerry v Mayo, Donegal v Dublin, Cork v Monaghan, Tyrone v Meath, Roscommon v Derry on over the next two weekends then you'd have some excitement. Great games and competitive contests almost guaranteed, instead we have what?

ballinaman

Just goes to show how irrelevant U21 championship is considering Longford are and have been quiet strong at that level recently.

Waste of time yesterday, in regards to Croke Park signalling the reason for playing it in Croke Park instead of Pearse Park to meet the crowd demand, don't think that will be a problem if paddlin's like yesterday keep happening, people won't bother going.

Main Street

First and foremost duty of the GAA is to help fund the comprehensive coaching and academy development plans in Longford.
Changing the format of the championship competition and hoping for deep positive effects in the low standard counties, is a theory.
Structured developing of the game in Longford is much more of a priority than tv viewers being able to watch exciting championship games between the top teams. The league is tiered, the championship is more open.
Anyway, the tv viewing figures and match day attendance figures are good and not in immediate danger of collapsing. What need attention are the the growing inequalities in the standards of play.

Zulu

Of course you need to address issues within counties but no amount of coaching or money is going to make Longford regularly competitive with Dublin. While you need to help make some counties better you also have to provide all counties with suitable competitions. Longford should be able to compete for something meaningful each year while Dublin should have to play teams of similar ability more often. A competition that most agree doesn't start until the QF stage is a seriously flawed one. A competition that has more than half the teams competing for something they have no chance of winning is a seriously flawed one.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on June 01, 2015, 11:12:52 AM
A tiered system isn't about making you competitive at the top level, it's about providing you with a suitable level of competition. There isn't any competition structure that will help Roscommon hurlers compete with Kilkenny, that can only happen through development of hurling within the county, but in the meantime it's much better to give the Roscommon hurlers appropriate competition rather than a pointless Connacht final against Galway.

Football desperately needs an overhaul. We have plenty of great teams but keeping them apart is daft. If we had Kerry v Mayo, Donegal v Dublin, Cork v Monaghan, Tyrone v Meath, Roscommon v Derry on over the next two weekends then you'd have some excitement. Great games and competitive contests almost guaranteed, instead we have what?

The point is there are counties that could be competitive in hurling with enough development; the system in hurling will not allow for them to reach that potential. It's designed to be a closed shop and the established powers seem to freak out when one of them ends up in danger of relegation to the lower tiers. It's not any sort of ideal to my eyes and it's rife with its' own problems. We should be looking for our own solutions.

Zulu

Which hurling counties are being held back due to the system and what evidence do have to back up that claim? The hurling system is far better then the football one which is a disaster.

Teo Lurley

I asked this question already but no one answered. What kind of money are we talking about here? How much do Dublin get? How much would Longford need to compete?

larryin89

Well syferus if we are looking for a solution there must be a problem .

The present format is rubbish , it's both unfair and does not maximise the potential our sport has. It's the primary competition in Gaelic football and it does not make sense for the better teams to not clash more often.

At this present moment you have , Donegal, Monaghan, Tyrone, Cavan Down and Derry in Ulster, Mayo, Galway and Roscommon in Connacht , Kerry, cork and tipp in Munster and Dublin, Meath , laois and Kildare in Leinster who could form an "a" championship or something along those lines.

I can't see the problem here with four seeded groups of four , that means three quality games for each of them counties and some good viewing and excitement for the viewer .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

County Man

In terms of yesterdays "match" in Croke Park, what an absolute farce.

The GAA have created a monster and a monster needs a lot of food to be fed. In this case, food equals money.

This monster called Dublin is obese. Started to gain weight about 10 years ago and now is a food addict. Its now so big it can barely move. Thats why it always has all of its games at home.

Longford on the other hand is anorexic.

Something must be done by the GAA now before Longford dies. Lets spread the food around a bit more.

We are supposed to be an amateur organisation here. Lets make it fair or at least fairer.

Take Dubs out of Croker for a start. The monster needs to get some exercise.

larryin89

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 01, 2015, 02:38:22 PM
I asked this question already but no one answered. What kind of money are we talking about here? How much do Dublin get? How much would Longford need to compete?
( I know you didn't exactly say this but I believe this is what you're gettin at)

This aul bollix again , I used to be nigglin away at that argument too . It's up to your county to raise funds , some are more resourceful than others and put in more effort . Kerry have raised 4.5 million for their new centre and only last week had 1,000 dollar a plate fund raiser in the U.S. , I take my hat off to them . Mayo went over last year and arguably have the most successful diaspora of all and came back with a fookin biscuit tin with a few dollars in it , I kid you not.

The dubs have some heavy advantages but there is not a lot you can do to beat that other than sort your own stall out and put the right men/women in charge of raising funds.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Teo Lurley

Quote from: County Man on June 01, 2015, 02:47:30 PM

The GAA have created a monster and a monster needs a lot of food to be fed. In this case, food equals money.

This monster called Dublin is obese. Started to gain weight about 10 years ago and now is a food addict. Its now so big it can barely move. Thats why it always has all of its games at home.

Something must be done by the GAA now before Longford dies. Lets spread the food around a bit more.

We are supposed to be an amateur organisation here. Lets make it fair or at least fairer.

They get their AIG sponsership but where else do they get their money?

No one has said the Dubs should go on a diet since Joe McNally was playing. :D

Teo Lurley

Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2015, 02:51:16 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 01, 2015, 02:38:22 PM
( I know you didn't exactly say this but I believe this is what you're gettin at)

This aul bollix again , I used to be nigglin away at that argument too . It's up to your county to raise funds , some are more resourceful than others and put in more effort . Kerry have raised 4.5 million for their new centre and only last week had 1,000 dollar a plate fund raiser in the U.S. , I take my hat off to them . Mayo went over last year and arguably have the most successful diaspora of all and came back with a fookin biscuit tin with a few dollars in it , I kid you not.

The dubs have some heavy advantages but there is not a lot you can do to beat that other than sort your own stall out and put the right men/women in charge of raising funds.

The team that raises the most money wins?

heffo

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 01, 2015, 02:57:22 PM

No one has said the Dubs should go on a died since Joe McNally was playing. :D

Big Joe is still playing - played FF for St Annes Div 11 team during the week

50fiftyball

Fully support the claim to make Dublin play some of their Championship games outside of Croke Park. If everyone else has to, why shouldn't they??

Hound

Longford voted to keep the Dubs in Croker this year. Along with every Leinster county, bar Laois.

1976 championship:
Dublin 5-16 Longford 0-7

1988 championship:
Dublin 4-15 Longford 0-9

2005 championship
Dublin 2-23 Longford 0-10

Smaller counties have been getting hammerings from bigger counties since the inception of the inter-county system.
To say its a modern phenomenan down to money is just nonsense.
Should never have been a live on TV match though