HRH Price Charles official visit in May to ROI

Started by Shamrock Shore, April 21, 2015, 01:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

You're probably right about certain establishment parts, from the old 'Sun Never Sets' aspect, but I definitely think the common or garden Brit is wondering why the hell they bother keeping NI afloat with all their tax money.

I suppose this is slightly a tangent anyway. I do think they are a friendly neighbour by and large at this stage.

magpie seanie

I would tend to agree with AZ on this. Even with Scotland a lot of them were saying - let them off, see how they manage to pay for things. I think if you had a referendum in the UK about letting NI go it would be a resounding yes. With Scotland I'd say it was closer to 50/50 in England.

deiseach

Any UK wide campaign on the status of NI in the Union would soon turn into a referendum on the Provos. Good luck trying to get approval for an outcome which would be viewed as validating the campaign of a group who blew up a couple of kids in Warrington.

Rossfan

I think he'll find the Oul GFA provides for referendum(s) in Ireland only.
One in the 6 Cos first and then by implication one in the 26 when we get the "right" result in the 6./
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

The people in Sligo still talk fondly of Mountbatten, really was well liked and a part of the community at a time when that would have seemed incompatible with the political situation in Ireland. Charles being so close to him does add poignancy to the visit and it will give the locals a chance to show their appreciation for Mountbatten and maybe put a line under one of the dirtiest acts of the Troubles.

I think what's lost in the tragedy of his death (in Ireland at least) is what an amazing life Mountbatten lived. Anything but a poster British Royal.

LeoMc

Quote from: bogball88 on April 23, 2015, 07:36:58 PM
Going to visit site of mountbattens death, best to that quickly before any abuse reports come out I suppose

Just blackening a mans name for the sake of it or do you have anything on which to base that claim?

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Syferus on April 24, 2015, 05:51:50 PM
The people in Sligo still talk fondly of Mountbatten, really was well liked and a part of the community at a time when that would have seemed incompatible with the political situation in Ireland. Charles being so close to him does add poignancy to the visit and it will give the locals a chance to show their appreciation for Mountbatten and maybe put a line under one of the dirtiest acts of the Troubles.

I think what's lost in the tragedy of his death (in Ireland at least) is what an amazing life Mountbatten lived. Anything but a poster British Royal.

Says it all really.....I could tell you a lot more dirtier acts.

foxcommander

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on April 24, 2015, 10:47:44 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 24, 2015, 05:51:50 PM

Says it all really.....I could tell you a lot more dirtier acts.

but it happened in the 26...not on our doorstep please...
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

charlieTully

To be fair it was much dirtier than the Dublin monaghan bombs, bloody Sunday, Kingsmill, greysteel, the Shankill bomb, narrow water, Gibraltar, loughall, Darkley,  the miami show band, it was dirtier than Iraq afaganistain and Isis, it made sept 11th pale into comparison.
Sligo and Liatroim got it tough. God bless the queen.

Syferus

Quote from: charlieTully on April 24, 2015, 11:43:38 PM
To be fair it was much dirtier than the Dublin monaghan bombs, bloody Sunday, Kingsmill, greysteel, the Shankill bomb, narrow water, Gibraltar, loughall, Darkley,  the miami show band, it was dirtier than Iraq afaganistain and Isis, it made sept 11th pale into comparison.

Only on GAA Board, ladies and gentlemen, could someone try to compare atrocities like Top Trump cards with a straight face.

magpie seanie

Guys - there is an ignore function on this board. It's very useful for repeat offenders in the line of uninformed idiocy.

charlieTully

Quote from: Syferus on April 24, 2015, 11:54:22 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on April 24, 2015, 11:43:38 PM

Only on GAA Board, ladies and gentlemen, could some try to compare atrocities like Top Trump cards.

The point is it was all dirty. every death. There are no hierarchy of victims.

Itchy

Personally, I put a hierarchy of victims on innocent children.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

charlieTully

Quote from: Itchy on April 25, 2015, 12:09:32 AM
Personally, I put a hierarchy of victims on innocent children.

As opposed to pregnant mothers or Jean Mcconville who gets mentioned regularly. it was all dirty as I said. You can't grade a families pain in relation to age can you?