Previous topic - Next topic

Football

Change rules
44 (45.4%)
Leave her be
53 (54.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

AZOffaly

It would also make for some amusing sights from up in the stands. Kick out comes and the charge of the light brigade ensues to fly back to defensive positions.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: Zulu on March 31, 2015, 11:59:58 AM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on March 31, 2015, 11:55:58 AM
The defensive game has been here since 2002. Why are people getting so worked up about it now? There have been some great matches with teams set up defensively. At the moment the weather is shocking, it was awful for Derry v Dublin. Teams can play whatever way they want, get over it.

Nonsense. What great games have we had with both teams setting up defensively? And we've had defensive football since the GAA started but we've only recently started seeing teams get all 15 of their players inside their own 45. The weather was fine for last years all Ireland final and for the Dublin Donegal semi a few years ago. Blaming the weather is pure head in the sand stuff.

Armagh and Tyrone had some classics. I enjoyed last years All Ireland. The weather has been at fault for many games been poor in recent weeks. Not just games with defensive systems. Teams need to come up with ways to beat the defensive system and force them to come out. Crying and trying to get rule changes is laughable.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2015, 12:03:03 PM
It would also make for some amusing sights from up in the stands. Kick out comes and the charge of the light brigade ensues to fly back to defensive positions.
I suppose the point is that it would be of limited benefit to get men back at that stage so teams wouldnt be as inclided to do it.
It would place more of a focus on trying to win first phase possesion in the middle of the feild in order to get the ball quickly to the forwards.
Like I said, maybe it would work, but if a rule chaneg is needed I would prefer it was somewhat of a tweak rather than a fundamental change.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Zulu

Quote from: Teo Lurley on March 31, 2015, 12:06:06 PM
The defensive game has been here since 2002. Why are people getting so worked up about it now? There have been some great matches with teams set up defensively. At the moment the weather is shocking, it was awful for Derry v Dublin. Teams can play whatever way they want, get over it.

Nonsense. What great games have we had with both teams setting up defensively? And we've had defensive football since the GAA started but we've only recently started seeing teams get all 15 of their players inside their own 45. The weather was fine for last years all Ireland final and for the Dublin Donegal semi a few years ago. Blaming the weather is pure head in the sand stuff.

Armagh and Tyrone had some classics. I enjoyed last years All Ireland. The weather has been at fault for many games been poor in recent weeks. Not just games with defensive systems. Teams need to come up with ways to beat the defensive system and force them to come out. Crying and trying to get rule changes is laughable.

If you read my posts I'm not looking for rule changes and if you think commenting on things you don't like in your sport is 'crying' well what can I say? If you enjoyed last years All Ireland you are in a small minority so that should tell you something. The fact you can only reference two teams, neither which were as defensive as teams are currently playing highlights the paucity of your argument.

I wouldn't be looking for rule changes yet but if you think everything is fine then you're nuts but on the upside you'll soon have no problem getting tickets for the big football matches as most people won't pay to watch it.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: Zulu on March 31, 2015, 12:12:51 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on March 31, 2015, 12:06:06 PM

If you read my posts I'm not looking for rule changes and if you think commenting on things you don't like in your sport is 'crying' well what can I say? If you enjoyed last years All Ireland you are in a small minority so that should tell you something. The fact you can only reference two teams, neither which were as defensive as teams are currently playing highlights the paucity of your argument.

I wouldn't be looking for rule changes yet but if you think everything is fine then you're nuts but on the upside you'll soon have no problem getting tickets for the big football matches as most people won't pay to watch it.

That post looks a lot like crying to me. :D Last years All Ireland was a very good match. Two teams playing defensively against eachother doesn't happen often. Armagh v Tyrone was superb stuff through the last decade. Tyrone v Dublin was a very good game this year in the league. The wind and rain of recent weeks has ruined all matches. When the weather gets better the games will get better. This whole whingefest will be laughed at come the end of the year.

Zulu

You're entitled to your opinion even if you couldn't be more wrong if you tried!

Teo Lurley

redzone

I was at last years final and it was dire. Felt like goin home after 50 min

Zulu

Teo Lurley

Quote from: redzone on March 31, 2015, 12:30:49 PM
I was at last years final and it was dire. Felt like goin home after 50 min

Are you from Kerry or Donegal?

AZOffaly

Armagh v Tyrone in the 00s wasn't in the same parish as what we've seen in the past couple of years.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: Zulu on March 31, 2015, 12:31:27 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on March 31, 2015, 12:26:28 PM
An opinion can't be wrong. :D

I used to think that too  ;)

:D We'll see who's opinion was wrong at the end of the year!

Teo Lurley

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2015, 12:33:56 PM
Armagh v Tyrone in the 00s wasn't in the same parish as what we've seen in the past couple of years.

Donegal have been apart of some classics also.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2015, 11:42:22 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 31, 2015, 10:52:38 AM
Quote from: take_yer_points on March 31, 2015, 10:44:38 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 31, 2015, 10:35:01 AM
How about we implement the rules we have for a start before introducing new rules.

For a start, players / managers should be made aware that any sort of a jersey pull will be blown up, doesn't matter if it's only for a second if you pull the jersey it's a free. Applied to both forwards and backs equally

Simple enough to enforce as well as it's one offence where you can't "accidentally" grab someone's jersey

And apply the overcarrying rule correctly. If a defender knows an opposition player has to release the ball (whether that be an attempted pass to a team mate, a shot at goal or a solo/bounce) after 4 steps then it makes it a hell of a lot easier to defend against. At the minute it's anybody's guess how many steps will be allowed which makes defending so much more difficult
I would agree with both of those posts.

I would agree with the three posts :) It would also help if refs stopped giving frees to every ball carrier who falls down when any defender comes near.
One rule I'd bring in would be that all place kicks between the 20 metre lines have to be kicked forward - ( 20m thingy to allow you hit a free in from the 13 m out on the sideline  to someone behind you) and of course curtail the effin handpass. Any other frees,sidelines hit backwards - free to other team.
This 4 forwards having to stay in the opposition half is silly, impossible to police and what would be the punishment?
This would mean, you foul and then you retreat and wait for the ball to be kicked to you.  In open play you could kick anyway you liked, but when fouled, you lose this advantage. It would pay to foul.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Teo Lurley on March 31, 2015, 12:35:00 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2015, 12:33:56 PM

Donegal have been apart of some classics also.

They have. Miles apart.