Dublin v Derry

Started by twohands!!!, March 26, 2015, 10:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaflad

Quote from: cockahoop on March 30, 2015, 10:57:38 AM
Im sorry lads but that was brutal stuff from derry,i am not niave enough to think we could  go toe to toe with the dubs but by god if thats the tactics were going to use in future i for one wont be paying good money to watch it,the dubs were 100% correct in booing it IMO
The Dubs were booing because they expected to turn up and see their side demolish Derry as in the league final last year. They went in at half time trailing Derry. Dublin played the same defensive tactics as Derry throughout the game.

cockahoop

sure they only booed when derry were on the ball

oakleaflad

Quote from: cockahoop on March 30, 2015, 11:19:21 AM
As above, they were Dublin fans expecting the home team to win. Dublin played the same defensive tactics throughout. Did you see the game?

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: oakleaflad on March 30, 2015, 11:24:35 AM
As above, they were Dublin fans expecting the home team to win. Dublin played the same defensive tactics throughout. Did you see the game?

Did you see the game? We boo'd Derry for bringing that putrid shite to Croke Park as Donegal and Tyrone have done before them   It has fcuk all to do with winning or not winning.

And you are talking through your rear end if you think playing that way is our preferred approach. That was complete nonsense from McIvor afterwards to try and deflect some of the criticism that was coming his way

macdanger2

If the Dublin forwards had been good enough to take their chances, it would have forced Derry to come out and play a bit more. They didn't (probably still knackered from all the point-kicking in Castlebar), Derry saw their system was working and so they persevered. It takes two teams to make a sh*te game of football.

Was Saturday night's game any worse than last years league final when Derry played man to man and got hockeyed??

cockahoop

yes i was at it,why would i comment on something if i didnt see,hear it?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on March 30, 2015, 11:40:26 AM

Did you see the game? We boo'd Derry for bringing that putrid shite to Croke Park as Donegal and Tyrone have done before them   It has fcuk all to do with winning or not winning.

And you are talking through your rear end if you think playing that way is our preferred approach. That was complete nonsense from McIvor afterwards to try and deflect some of the criticism that was coming his way
I did. So you aren't denying Dublin played the same defensive tactics as Derry played throughout the game? At least that makes one Dublin poster on here. The bit i'm confused with though is you admit to booing Derry for their tactics yet it's fine for Dublin to do it? Why so?

I never said that was Dublin's preferred way of playing. Where did you get that from? Derry played the most attacking football i seen last year out of anyone, it got them hammered in the league final and 0 championship wins. I wouldn't say it's Derry's preferred way of playing either but needs must.

oakleaflad

Quote from: cockahoop on March 30, 2015, 11:55:08 AM

yes i was at it,why would i comment on something if i didnt see,hear it?
You seemed to totally miss the point I was making earlier, hence the question.

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: oakleaflad on March 30, 2015, 11:58:26 AM

I did. So you aren't denying Dublin played the same defensive tactics as Derry played throughout the game? At least that makes one Dublin poster on here. The bit i'm confused with though is you admit to booing Derry for their tactics yet it's fine for Dublin to do it? Why so?

I never said that was Dublin's preferred way of playing. Where did you get that from? Derry played the most attacking football i seen last year out of anyone, it got them hammered in the league final and 0 championship wins. I wouldn't say it's Derry's preferred way of playing either but needs must.

I didn't say that we setup same as Derry. In fact i said that claim was patent nonsense from McIvor. We brought players back as game went on but kept at least 3 forwards in Derry half at all times. As Kerry showed last year in AIF the only ay to beat this shite is to close on copy it. Otherwise as happened us v Donegal you get caught on the break.

I like many others wont be paying good money to watch this crap. Nor will I keep going to our away games in Ulster as i have done in the past. This approach might be within the rules but will if not tackled do serious damage to Gaelic football as the most popular sport in the country.  20k in CP last Sat. You wouldn't get half that if they put that game on again any time soon.

Keyser soze

I only saw the game on TV admittedly but it asppeared to me that the booing was happening when Derry kept playing the ball back and forth across the pitch as Dublin had so many men behind the ball that they were unable to play it forward.  I presumed it was Derry fans booing the Dubs for playing the blanket but the commentators said it was the Dubs booing Derry. Why were they booing the team who were trying to attack against a massed defence but couldnt get anywhere as there were so many bodies behind the ball, surely they should have been booing their own team for such shite tactics.

sheamy

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on March 30, 2015, 12:09:59 PM

I didn't say that we setup same as Derry. In fact i said that claim was patent nonsense from McIvor. We brought players back as game went on but kept at least 3 forwards in Derry half at all times. As Kerry showed last year in AIF the only ay to beat this shite is to close on copy it. Otherwise as happened us v Donegal you get caught on the break.

I like many others wont be paying good money to watch this crap. Nor will I keep going to our away games in Ulster as i have done in the past. This approach might be within the rules but will if not tackled do serious damage to Gaelic football as the most popular sport in the country.  20k in CP last Sat. You wouldn't get half that if they put that game on again any time soon.

Surely for the good of the game Dublin should have pushed all their men forward? Derry would have scored more and the game would have been better value for money. No?

This is like a teenager in the playground whose defence is 'sir, but he hit me first'.

McIver was 100% right. One team played one way, the other adapted and played the same. The funny thing is if Dublin hadn't played defensively they'd have lost to an understrength Derry team. They nearly did anyway.

lenny

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on March 30, 2015, 12:09:59 PM

Totally agree and I'm a Derry man through and through. I was offered 4 free tickets for this game but i knew what it would be like so refused them. I watched on Setanta but it was so boring i spent a lot of the time reading the paper. I know there are mitigating circumstances with a large number of players unavailable but if Derry continue to play like that I'll not even be bothered going to see them in the championship either.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

screenexile

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 30, 2015, 03:40:59 PM
https://twitter.com/Woolberto/status/581964268184190976

Colm Parkinson is a twat who was at best an extremely average footballer who thought he was better than he was! He's trying to be a Joe Brolly type character only he hasn't the intellect or wit to do it properly.

Was he not one of "Parnell's Professionals" as well?? A complete muppet!

tbrick18

Quote from: screenexile on March 30, 2015, 04:36:17 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on March 30, 2015, 03:40:59 PM
https://twitter.com/Woolberto/status/581964268184190976

Colm Parkinson is a twat who was at best an extremely average footballer who thought he was better than he was! He's trying to be a Joe Brolly type character only he hasn't the intellect or wit to do it properly.

Was he not one of "Parnell's Professionals" as well?? A complete muppet!

+1

A Joe Brolly wannabe.

I'm not surprised Derry played an ultra defensive setup for this game. We hadnt won a game in the league, got tanked by Dublin last year and are missing the spine of the team.
With a championship looming, a confidence boosting win (or even a close loss) to a Dublin side rated as one of the best in the country would beneficial to the players mentality, in that it would show them they could live with the big boys.
For me there was more at stake her than the result.
I dont like that ultra defensive style of football but we're not the only team at it. All of the top teams play it too, they only difference is that the top teams have a more potent attack than we do so it puts a bit of a gloss on it when they can counter attack effectively. We lack that, so it looks worse than when teams like Kerry, Dublin or Donegal do it.
It's a bit rich Dublin complaining about Derry playing defensively when they do it themselves, albeit perhaps not to the same extend we did at the weekend. But like I said, we were missing the spine of the team and so we didnt have much choice in my opinion.