The Connaught Thread

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 17, 2015, 10:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on February 22, 2015, 09:14:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 22, 2015, 05:55:51 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on February 22, 2015, 04:57:22 PM
Are you trying to let on you are educated lar napark or are you enda in disguise?

Yes he is Enda in disguise. Well done. In fact Enda is every single Mayo poster here.

Except for Farr. He is Michael Ring.  ;D
Re the Ballagh situation - If the Rossies don't like it then they should have put Ring on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m1EFMoRFvY
but it's a bit of a joke at this stage

1898 - the Brits are responsible

The Brits had damn all to do with it. Nationalist politician, John Dillon made the decision because of lower water rates. His son James Dillon went on to lead Fine Gael and continued to sign any correspondence as Ballaghaderreen, Co, Mayo. Mayo Blueshirts caused it all. But the Brits did create the county boundaries and as I've said, they gave Galway and Mayo a tremendous advantage over the other three counties, as ye both have more than twice the population of us. At least Galway have made some fist of winning All-Irelands. Mayo on the other hand - even picking from the second largest town in Roscommon and they still can't win shite.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shrewdness on February 22, 2015, 09:12:33 PM
Some of my fellow Rossies on here may also have noticed that the 'Mayo Sympathisers( and that's all they are) around Ballagh are even more bitter towards Roscommon Gaa than real Mayo Gaa supporters... It's remarkable to see people from one county turn against their own and support a neighbouring county... I know of an old man from just outside Ballagh who firmly believes that it's Ballagh Gaa's refusal to play in their own county that has jinxed Mayo in their long wait to win Sam. He takes great pride in reciting that fact every year.

Is that old man Rossfan?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: weareros on February 22, 2015, 09:37:54 PM
Are you trying to let on you are educated lar napark or are you enda in disguise?

Yes he is Enda in disguise. Well done. In fact Enda is every single Mayo poster here.

Re the Ballagh situation - If the Rossies don't like it then they should have put Ring on it

The Brits had damn all to do with it. Nationalist politician, John Dillon made the decision because of lower water rates. His son James Dillon went on to lead Fine Gael and continued to sign any correspondence as Ballaghaderreen, Co, Mayo. Mayo Blueshirts caused it all. But the Brits did create the county boundaries and as I've said, they gave Galway and Mayo a tremendous advantage over the other three counties, as ye both have more than twice the population of us. At least Galway have made some fist of winning All-Irelands. Mayo on the other hand - even picking from the second largest town in Roscommon and they still can't win shite.

History can be tough, really tough.

The best way for you to channel your exertions would be to focus on building a time machine to go back and fix everything. You might even make a quid or two out of your time machine, if you put your mind to it.

But please let us know how you get on.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Ah, feck it anyway!
There goes my resolution to accept the inevitable and give up trying to drum anything into anyone in your God-forsaken land. It lasted all of ten minutes btw.
You say the Brits had nothing to do with it, whatever "it" is.
Then you go on to say that "the Brits did create the county boundaries and as I've said, they gave Galway and Mayo a tremendous advantage over the other three counties,..."
Apart from the fact that you said nothing of the sort, how do you reconcile both statements?
Was it Johneen Dillon the bastard, or was it the Brits who grabbed a large stretch of our county and landed the poor inhabitants in with your shower?
So the implication seems to be that getting rid of Ballagh gives us a tremendous advantage over the other three counties.
You can't be seriously expect the good people there to want to have anything to do with you after that.
I mean ye have had 118 years to try and persuade the people of Ballagh to play ball with you and they are not for turning.
With an attitude like yours, can anyone blame  them?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

weareros

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 22, 2015, 10:37:53 PM

Ah, feck it anyway!
There goes my resolution to accept the inevitable and give up trying to drum anything into anyone in your God-forsaken land. It lasted all of ten minutes btw.
Then you go on to say that "the Brits did create the county boundaries and as I've said, they gave Galway and Mayo a tremendous advantage over the other three counties,..."
Apart from the fact that you said nothing of the sort, how do you reconcile both statements?
Was it Johneen Dillon the b**tard, or was it the Brits who grabbed a large stretch of our county and landed the poor inhabitants in with your shower?
So the implication seems to be that getting rid of Ballagh gives us a tremendous advantage over the other three counties.
You can't be seriously expect the good people there to want to have anything to do with you after that.
I mean ye have had 118 years to try and persuade the people of Ballagh to play ball with you and they are not for turning.

You are confusing two different points - the creation of the county system, and changes to county boundaries that were made over time. For someone who's had high praise for himself as an educator, you don't seem to understand that Irish county boundaries are arbitrary demarcations on a map. They are replicas of the English county/shire system and so our current county system has its origins in the Normans and the Tudors, with various modifications along the way. My point is that it was a Mayoman and a nationalist Mayoman at that who was primarily responsible for the transfer of Ballaghaderreen to Co. Roscommon. I was of course pointing out that when Norman and British administrators adopted their county system to Ireland, they gave yourselves and Galway the biggest slices of the Connacht pie. Go back in history and Roscommon had a bigger slice. One can stand for example in the lovely village of Cong and have one foot in Galway and one foot in Mayo - it's just a man made division. There's some natural boundaries. The Shannon is one such natural boundary. That said, if you cross the Shannon and go to the Roscommon side of Athlone, you are still not in Roscommon but in Westmeath. Again, that's a man-made decision and a foolish one at that, because even the dogs in the street know when you cross the Shannon you are in a totally different land. At the end of the day, Ballaghaderreen is in Roscommon because such boundaries are man-made and when it was in Mayo it was equally because of a man-made line on a map - and you can be sure that boundary was not created by a Fior-Ghael but some British administrator who couldn't wait to get the fu(k out of Connacht after he set up a few administrative units. Mayo and Roscommon were not created by some absolute God but by invader. But in the event the counties are God's fault, byjaysus didn't he give us poor Rossies an awful shower of neighbours.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: weareros on February 23, 2015, 01:15:22 AM

Ah, feck it anyway!
Was it Johneen Dillon the b**tard, or was it the Brits who grabbed a large stretch of our county and landed the poor inhabitants in with your shower?

You are confusing two different points - the creation of the county system, and changes to county boundaries that were made over time. For someone who's had high praise for himself as an educator, you don't seem to understand that Irish county boundaries are arbitrary demarcations on a map. They are replicas of the English county/shire system and so our current county system has its origins in the Normans and the Tudors, with various modifications along the way. My point is that it was a Mayoman and a nationalist Mayoman at that who was primarily responsible for the transfer of Ballaghaderreen to Co. Roscommon. I was of course pointing out that when Norman and British administrators adopted their county system to Ireland, they gave yourselves and Galway the biggest slices of the Connacht pie. Go back in history and Roscommon had a bigger slice. One can stand for example in the lovely village of Cong and have one foot in Galway and one foot in Mayo - it's just a man made division. There's some natural boundaries. The Shannon is one such natural boundary. That said, if you cross the Shannon and go to the Roscommon side of Athlone, you are still not in Roscommon but in Westmeath. Again, that's a man-made decision and a foolish one at that, because even the dogs in the street know when you cross the Shannon you are in a totally different land. At the end of the day, Ballaghaderreen is in Roscommon because such boundaries are man-made and when it was in Mayo it was equally because of a man-made line on a map - and you can be sure that boundary was not created by a Fior-Ghael but some British administrator who couldn't wait to get the fu(k out of Connacht after he set up a few administrative units. Mayo and Roscommon were not created by some absolute God but by invader. But in the event the counties are God's fault, byjaysus didn't he give us poor Rossies an awful shower of neighbours.
Now you have me well and truly confused as you have gone to great lengths to emphasise a point I've been attempting to make all along.
I think it's fair to say that I accept that county boundaries are political constructs and have no legal standing in GAA circles.
Without going back to the Composition of Connaught or the Grand Jury and Poor Law Union systems and all that, I think it's fair to say that the redrawing of the Mayo/Roscommon boundary did not alter the status of the Ballagh club in any way.
Ballagh affiliated with the Mayo County Board and the subsequent re-jigging of county boundary lines did not and does not the club's right to continue its association with Mayo.
To date, you appear to be the only Rossie, on this board anyway, who grasps this, even if you don't fully accept that fact.
You seem to favour the setting up of another club in the same parish which would affiliate with Roscommon. Therefore, your motives are political, pure and simple.
Is the GAA above politics or are politics above the GAA?
There are democratic procedures open to you and other Rossies in the parish without having to throw your rattles out of your prams when you don't get your own way.
Why not join the club instead of harping about it?
If it's a case of one member one vote, your "side" should be able to gain control of the club in a remarkably short period of time.
As a matter of interest, are you a registered member of the Ballagh club and if not, why not?
Is it not open to you and all other Rossie supporters in Ballagh to work within the structures of the GAA to seek to bring about change?
Seriously, if I were a GAA man in Roscommon, I'd be too embarrassed to publicise the fact that the members of Ballagh prefer to play their football in another county and this has been the case for the last 118 (or so) years.
Doesn't say much about your bleddy bus and all that goes with it, does it? ;D

Rossfan

No need for big long posts - Ballagh is in Co Roscommon. Its GAA club opts to remain in the 19th century backwardness.
No Rossie wishes to be associated with that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

the blueshirts weren't around in 1898.
the Brits were in charge

Anyway what difference would it make having Ballagh in Ros ? why don't ye claim the other side of Athlone and
get more bang for your whining buck ?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2015, 12:31:25 PM
No need for big long posts - Ballagh is in Co Roscommon. Its GAA club opts to remain in the 19th century backwardness.
No Rossie wishes to be associated with that.

Good man Ross. Your'e a man of few (sensible) words and you got it right this time.
There really is no point going back to fight the Land War one more time.
I don't give a damn about Johneen Dillon (or about Ballaghadereen either.)
It may be a dump but it's our dump until the natives decide otherwise. That's democracy for you.

BTW, what sucks about Roscommon football?
If Mayo is so backward, how come the Ballagh Gaels are still giving ye the two fingers after 118 years of entreaties, threats and general micking about. People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones and all that.

seafoid

Is Boyle nicer than Ballagh ?

mjg

Seafoid climb down of the backs of the mayo men an stand on your feet like a good lad.Dont be embarassing galway people

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: weareros on February 23, 2015, 01:15:22 AM

Ah, feck it anyway!

So when you cross a bridge in Limerick are you in Clare?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Technically no, but actually yes. There's ongoing war over that, but it's not as passionate as the 1,0000 years war over Ballagh. Most Clare people would tell you, for example, that Thomond Park and the Gaelic Grounds are in Clare.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2015, 05:20:58 PM
Most Clare people are mad.
Pot, kettle, black.

While we're at it, what about the Athlone situation?