The Connaught Thread

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 17, 2015, 10:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 23, 2015, 05:29:15 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2015, 05:20:58 PM
Most Clare people are mad.
Pot, kettle, black.

While we're at it, what about the Athlone situation?

Jesus are the Rozis going to start warring on two fronts?
MWWSI 2017

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2015, 05:30:25 PM
Pot, kettle, black.

??
I think you have me confused with someone else

muppet

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 23, 2015, 05:34:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2015, 05:30:25 PM
Pot, kettle, black.

??
I think you have me confused with someone else

I thought you were a man throwing out some tasty looking bait?
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

Pot, kettle, black.

We'll take the Hudson and Monksland while they're building up their troops around Ballagh.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2015, 05:43:05 PM
Pot, kettle, black.

We'll take the Hudson and Monksland while they're building up their troops around Ballagh.

We will just wait until the damp temperate summer over-stretches their resources.
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2015, 05:45:01 PM
Pot, kettle, black.

We will just wait until the damp temperate summer over-stretches their resources.

Drive them into the Shannon or Connemara?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2015, 05:49:11 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2015, 05:45:01 PM
Pot, kettle, black.

Drive them into the Shannon or Connemara?

The Connemara lads wouldn't be too happy.

Wicklow might take them in. They have a lot in common.
MWWSI 2017

giveballaghback

Lar na parke, your argument and position on the ballagh situation is identical to the position and arguements the unionist majority in the six counties have used for generations to hold on to power, ye are in good company.

muppet

Quote from: giveballaghback on February 23, 2015, 06:56:51 PM
Lar na parke, your argument and position on the ballagh situation is identical to the position and arguements the unionist majority in the six counties have used for generations to hold on to power, ye are in good company.

Really?

Did Mayo somehow transplant Rossies off their land and move them to another part of the country against their will? Did they deny Rossies the right to own land, to practice a religion or to have an education? Did they deny them the right to record their own births, marriages and deaths?

Actually I take one of those back, you were very obviously denied an education.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Pot, kettle, black.

the Ros side of Athlone is a kip
That is the reality of the situation

giveballaghback

lar naparkas muppet spokesman bites sorry strikes again, yere gonna run out of insults if ye are not careful, gives a whole new meaning to mayoforsam. Keep it flying there lads but watch the blood pressure,
as I said let the roaring begin.

seafoid

Is there nothing else to connacht only moaning about Ballagh
FFS.

This is more like it :

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/f128ee6c-1daf-11e4-8f0c-00144feabdc0.html
Philip Stephens, FT chief political commentator

Dry-stone walled, rough-thatched, and cutting a swath through the bracken and gorse, my new home glances down at the narrow Pollagh river as it meanders towards the Moy and gazes up through the mist towards the peak of Sliabh Cairn. County Mayo in the west of Ireland is a place of desolate beauty, of peat bogs, mountains, fog and, yes, rain. Tourists head for the prettified Atlantic coast and stare at the expensive yachts in Westport harbour. Those in the know enjoy rural Mayo as nature intended.

My imagined house sits on the edge of Kiltimagh (Coillte Mach), the place of my mother's birth and where, as a child, I spent countless glorious summers. In the eyes of Dublin sophisticates, this makes me a "Culchie" (Coillte). Kiltimagh gave Ireland the disparaging term for someone struggling to comb the hay from his hair. I have been called worse.
The house is vast, a permanent retreat for the scattered diaspora of Martins and Costellos. In the stone-floored sitting room stands a peat-burning range, its blackened pots simmering with boiled ham and starchy potatoes. There are occasional touches of luxury: the bathrooms are inside and there is central heating upstairs.
The house, of course, would not cost £1m. Nothing like it. But I would use the change to buy and reinstate the town's Savoy cinema: a place of fond memories

weareros

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 23, 2015, 11:44:43 AM
Now you have me well and truly confused as you have gone to great lengths to emphasise a point I've been attempting to make all along.
I think it's fair to say that I accept that county boundaries are political constructs and have no legal standing in GAA circles.
Without going back to the Composition of Connaught or the Grand Jury and Poor Law Union systems and all that, I think it's fair to say that the redrawing of the Mayo/Roscommon boundary did not alter the status of the Ballagh club in any way.
Ballagh affiliated with the Mayo County Board and the subsequent re-jigging of county boundary lines did not and does not the club's right to continue its association with Mayo.
To date, you appear to be the only Rossie, on this board anyway, who grasps this, even if you don't fully accept that fact.
You seem to favour the setting up of another club in the same parish which would affiliate with Roscommon. Therefore, your motives are political, pure and simple.
Is the GAA above politics or are politics above the GAA?
There are democratic procedures open to you and other Rossies in the parish without having to throw your rattles out of your prams when you don't get your own way.
Why not join the club instead of harping about it?
If it's a case of one member one vote, your "side" should be able to gain control of the club in a remarkably short period of time.
As a matter of interest, are you a registered member of the Ballagh club and if not, why not?
Is it not open to you and all other Rossie supporters in Ballagh to work within the structures of the GAA to seek to bring about change?
Seriously, if I were a GAA man in Roscommon, I'd be too embarrassed to publicise the fact that the members of Ballagh prefer to play their football in another county and this has been the case for the last 118 (or so) years.
Doesn't say much about your bleddy bus and all that goes with it, does it? ;D

The only thing I advocate is for Roscommon people living in Ballaghaderreen to have the right to represent their native county, without having to transfer to another part of Roscommon (as Sean Kilbride had to do). I would not call that politics, I would call that a normal state of affairs for most GAA footballers in the land and I think one could only truly understand that if they lived in a county, their own beloved county, supported that county through thick and thin, only to be told by a callous provincial council that if you live in that part of your county, then you can only represent your neighbor and your most bitterest rival on the GAA field. I would say if most people on this board were given that choice and that choice only, then I'd say their provincial council would have damned them to a life of GAA hell.

I also would not ever wish for the current club to be forced to play in Roscommon and I would want Ballagh people who support Mayo (about 50% of the parish) to forever retain their right to maintain this tradition and represent Mayo (de hoors!). My football days are long over but I did play with the Ballaghaderreen GAA club and have many happy memories, but such were my football skills that neither Mayo nor Roscommon wanted me, although I did if truth be told get invited to a Mayo minor trial but was too busy chasing the girls back in those days. Thankfully I was a feckless youth and therefore my primrose and blue purity was never stained.

That's my final say on the matter. The title of the thread is Connacht and whatever about our disagreements about GAA, there's no finer province in Ireland for beauty, storytelling and the character of the people.

larryin89

Quote from: weareros on February 24, 2015, 02:09:14 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 23, 2015, 11:44:43 AM
Now you have me well and truly confused as you have gone to great lengths to emphasise a point I've been attempting to make all along.
I think it's fair to say that I accept that county boundaries are political constructs and have no legal standing in GAA circles.
Without going back to the Composition of Connaught or the Grand Jury and Poor Law Union systems and all that, I think it's fair to say that the redrawing of the Mayo/Roscommon boundary did not alter the status of the Ballagh club in any way.
Ballagh affiliated with the Mayo County Board and the subsequent re-jigging of county boundary lines did not and does not the club's right to continue its association with Mayo.
To date, you appear to be the only Rossie, on this board anyway, who grasps this, even if you don't fully accept that fact.
You seem to favour the setting up of another club in the same parish which would affiliate with Roscommon. Therefore, your motives are political, pure and simple.
Is the GAA above politics or are politics above the GAA?
There are democratic procedures open to you and other Rossies in the parish without having to throw your rattles out of your prams when you don't get your own way.
Why not join the club instead of harping about it?
If it's a case of one member one vote, your "side" should be able to gain control of the club in a remarkably short period of time.
As a matter of interest, are you a registered member of the Ballagh club and if not, why not?
Is it not open to you and all other Rossie supporters in Ballagh to work within the structures of the GAA to seek to bring about change?
Seriously, if I were a GAA man in Roscommon, I'd be too embarrassed to publicise the fact that the members of Ballagh prefer to play their football in another county and this has been the case for the last 118 (or so) years.
Doesn't say much about your bleddy bus and all that goes with it, does it? ;D

The only thing I advocate is for Roscommon people living in Ballaghaderreen to have the right to represent their native county, without having to transfer to another part of Roscommon (as Sean Kilbride had to do). I would not call that politics, I would call that a normal state of affairs for most GAA footballers in the land and I think one could only truly understand that if they lived in a county, their own beloved county, supported that county through thick and thin, only to be told by a callous provincial council that if you live in that part of your county, then you can only represent your neighbor and your most bitterest rival on the GAA field. I would say if most people on this board were given that choice and that choice only, then I'd say their provincial council would have damned them to a life of GAA hell.

I also would not ever wish for the current club to be forced to play in Roscommon and I would want Ballagh people who support Mayo (about 50% of the parish) to forever retain their right to maintain this tradition and represent Mayo (de hoors!). My football days are long over but I did play with the Ballaghaderreen GAA club and have many happy memories, but such were my football skills that neither Mayo nor Roscommon wanted me, although I did if truth be told get invited to a Mayo minor trial but was too busy chasing the girls back in those days. Thankfully I was a feckless youth and therefore my primrose and blue purity was never stained.

That's my final say on the matter. The title of the thread is Connacht and whatever about our disagreements about GAA, there's no finer province in Ireland for beauty, storytelling and the character of the people.

Not a lot wrong with that post , choice of county in this situation should be allowed.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .