All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Syferus on May 08, 2015, 10:00:34 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 07, 2015, 07:37:38 PM
Have to say. We all love the under dog! When Meath beat Louth in the 2010 Leinster final we all felt for them. If the shoe was on the other foot. We'd have said wasn't it a good one Louth winning that way. Same rules would have applied if Tipperary had done a Tyrone to Tyrone. We'd all say they did the right thing to close out the game. But it's different when the so called traditional county achieves their goals by adverse means.

In fairness Bunker you're warping the issue most have. Lots of teams close out games by trying to shut up shop but lots of teams don't knee players in head, elbow them in the face or throw them at goal-posts. Tipp were guilty of a stamp in the final but Tyrone's rap sheet this year extends far beyond that and anyone who's trying to isolate the final without the context of the whole campaign is missing the bigger picture. I think this topic is more about player safety than it is about tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOf3s70w-c

nrico2006

Have to say. We all love the under dog! When Meath beat Louth in the 2010 Leinster final we all felt for them. If the shoe was on the other foot. We'd have said wasn't it a good one Louth winning that way. Same rules would have applied if Tipperary had done a Tyrone to Tyrone. We'd all say they did the right thing to close out the game. But it's different when the so called traditional county achieves their goals by adverse means.

In fairness Bunker you're warping the issue most have. Lots of teams close out games by trying to shut up shop but lots of teams don't knee players in head, elbow them in the face or throw them at goal-posts. Tipp were guilty of a stamp in the final but Tyrone's rap sheet this year extends far beyond that and anyone who's trying to isolate the final without the context of the whole campaign is missing the bigger picture. I think this topic is more about player safety than it is about tactics.

Tipp were also guilty of persistent cynical fouling on McShane from kick-outs and on top of the stamp they also had another player who swung a punch at a player too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rois

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 08, 2015, 12:14:56 PM
Tipp were also guilty of persistent cynical fouling on McShane from kick-outs and on top of the stamp they also had another player who swung a punch at a player too.
I was sitting in the front row (getting soaked) on Sat night, and noticed that when McShane put over a wide from an ambitious distance in the first half, a Tipp player ran at least twenty metres to roar in his face about the miss.  Not too classy either and won't have made it on to TV.  That was when Tipp were on top on the scoreboard.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 08, 2015, 10:35:40 AM
This 'sledging' crying is becoming laughable.  In all my years of playing sport I have been called everything under the sun.  Has it ever bothered me?  No.  Why would it?  Some root slabbering at you constantly is like water of a ducks back.  If it gets the better of you then you need to take a look at yourself and how strong you are mentally.

In fairness there is sledging and there is sledging. Some lads take it too far when they get personal. Especially when it's about family. I think most players can take a sledging about themselves.

Fuzzman

Relax folks Relax. Its all over now.

Your cries for help have been answered. Now go back to your own counties and start preparing for the season ahead

http://tyronetribulations.com/2015/05/07/tyrone-gaa-dark-arts-college-closes-as-senior-team-agree-to-take-hammerings-again/

Rodman

Catch yourself on.  All teams are at it and always have been. Tyrone are no different to any other team. Have you never seen Kerrys golden years - the best footballing team ever and each one of them would have taken your life given half a chance.
And your silence to Sligomans posts directed at you about the Roscommon thugs of yesteryear speaks volumes.

Aaron Boone

This time last week the Tyrone squad were going through the final dark arts drills. Most knew the modus operandi from earlier development squads.

Rodman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 08, 2015, 09:18:52 AM
I don't really have an issue with anything Tyrone did in that game in terms of fouling or timewasting near the end. I'd expect any team to do that in the same circumstances. It's probably not right, strictly speaking, but there are rules there to punish fouling, and the ref can add time at his discretion as well, so I think that's fair enough.

The one thing I do have a slight problem with, and I'm wondering what the Tyrone lads thoughts on this are? I know a couple of Tyrone lads away from this board who are a bit embarassed about the 'sledging'. Lets be honest it goes beyond the stuff that is always said to try and put you off.  I don't think Tyrone need to do it, and I'm sure they are not the only ones and it's not a completely new phenomenon as Liam Hayes will tell you, but they seem to have made an art form out of it. Even Ricey McMenamin agreed some of the stuff he used to say and do went beyond the pale.

I hesitate to bring it up because I don't want to be lumped in as 'having a go at Tyrone'. I admire Tyrone and everything they've managed to achieve. I think they have become extremely streetwise over the last 10-15 years and they are a model for other counties to follow, from their underage set up all the way to establishing yourself at senior level.

So this is a genuine question. And this is for the Tyrone lads not the Tyrone haters!! Do ye think Tyrone engage in close to the bone verbal sledging? If so, do ye think this is ok, or no big deal? And if not, what would you consider to be too close to the bone to say on a field?

Sure we don't know for sure what is being said. Regardless, sledging never bothered me, sure its done to try and put you off your game. As long as one understands that then it shouldn't put someone off their game....its more likely that the person doing the sledging will be the one to loose focus. 

larryin89

So where do you draw the line with what's acceptable or not , or is there no limits to it all. Deceased members of your family , fair game?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rodman

Quote from: larryin89 on May 09, 2015, 12:03:06 AM
So where do you draw the line with what's acceptable or not , or is there no limits to it all. Deceased members of your family , fair game?

Sledging is done to get a reaction, dont react and it will soon become pointless, no matter what is said.  Players should be prepared for it and be prepared not to allow it react and affect their game.

So do you really think players are going to the trouble of finding out who is deceased in the family of their direct opponent in odrder to mention it to them during the game?  If that happens, then yes, thats not acceptable and players should make those details public knowledge as any player doing that needs psychological help.

Syferus

Quote from: Rodman on May 08, 2015, 11:33:33 PM

Catch yourself on.  All teams are at it and always have been. Tyrone are no different to any other team. Have you never seen Kerrys golden years - the best footballing team ever and each one of them would have taken your life given half a chance.
And your silence to Sligomans posts directed at you about the Roscommon thugs of yesteryear speaks volumes.

Some you Tyrone lads are fairly desperate to deflect from this topic if you're clinging onto the words of an alt account made for the express purpose of responding to a single user's posts to validate your point-of-view.

tiempo

Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2015, 12:35:56 AM

Some you Tyrone lads are fairly desperate to deflect from this topic if you're clinging onto the words of an alt account made for the express purpose of responding to a single user's posts to validate your point-of-view.

omaghjoe

Lets be fair now, as I said earlier sledging should not happen it is petty and childish, and from my own personal experience detracts more from the perpetrator's game than anyone else.

If Tyrone lads were at it on Saturday they should not have been. I know at least one player on that team who has a bit of a rep for it and he or anyone else who does it needs a good kick up the rear end, as it adds nothing.

If anyone mentioned deceased family members they should get a slap in the mouth, that's what I would have done back in the day anyway. Red card or not, wouldn't care, football is not that important to let something like that go unpunished in my book. I heard a rumour of this actually happening to a Tyrone player during a senior championship game a few years back but don't know if its true or not.

But that's exactly the thing, we don't anything about what is said out there, we know stuff is said but we aren't sure what, so probably best to leave out the speculation.

As far as I am concerned its the same as the street, slagging is all fine and well but we all know there are boundaries (some are fuzzy I admit) and if someone says the wrong thing they should get a slap, unfortunately the end result is unjust in either scenario, on the pitch... a red card, or in the street.... charged with assault or worse.

BennyHarp

Ah come on lads, seriously, are we suggesting this is only a Tyrone thing? Some of you fellas really need to catch a grip. I've experienced that sort of nonsense at every level I've played and just laughed it off. The worst culprit bring the current Donegal manager who was quite happy to spit in your face etc to try and put you off your game. I think, once again, it's fairly desperate to be levelling this just at Tyrone.

Syferus, what about those treacherous thugs who played for Roscommon in the past? Any comment yet? I'm seriously beginning to think you may not be old enough to even know who these lads are as you seem to have very little knowledge on the subject!

I think I'll pay close attention to Roscommon games this year to see how well behaved they are.
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2015, 12:35:56 AM

Your talking sh*te there now,... that might imply you were talking sense at one point so actually I'll start again...

Still talking sh*te, :D.... Speaking for myself I have answered genuine posters read my posts. However you and the like who have a clear vendetta about Tyrone, I have had a laugh at rubbing their faces in it.... but sure if you want to tell yourself that go ahead.

If you can answer Sligoman's post and maybe admit that every county including your own behaves inappropriately at times, and that you were f**ked off that Tyrone hammered yis in the semi so ye decided to troll them on gaaboard, well then maybe then we have the basis for a conversation.

However I don't think that would interest you in the slightest, you prefer to play pious pete. Let me ask you this: Where or what do you think its gonna get ye? Your hypocrisy laughed at a few more times on here, along with a few more insults so you can go, "There you see what they're like, there's all the evidence you need, it quite obvious that they are teaching them the dark arts at a young age in Tyrone"

Actually I have just had a thought......maybe Tyrone people are just better slaggers than the rest of Ireland? Is that it? goin by the evidence on this thread that's the case anyway