All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

sligoman, 11 posts by you all anti roscommon, not a word about any other county, that 6-18 to 0-12 hammering we gave ye in kiltoom a couple of months ago must really have hit the spot, see ye in sligo on that five a side pitch of yers in 6 weeks time.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tiempo

Quote from: INDIANA on May 09, 2015, 10:38:00 PM
Quote from: tiempo on May 09, 2015, 08:01:38 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 09, 2015, 07:12:52 PM
Does anyone know what criteria the CCCC use to decide whether to suspend a player based on TV evidence.
It it solely depended on the Sunday game or why isn't young OBrien being hauled up for a hearing for his incident last Saturday?
Is it as watery as ah sure its all over now and sure what does it matter?
Are there clear policies in place for reviewing incidents or just when the notion takes them based on media coverage?

Clear politics. All teams are equal, but some teams are more equal than others. I would like to see a list of all senior inter county retrospective suspensions since the CCCCCCCCCs inception.

Ah poor ould Tyrone. Always the victim eh lads. The propaganda machine North Korean dictators would be proud of.

No-one mentioned Tyrone

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: INDIANA on May 09, 2015, 10:38:00 PM
Quote from: tiempo on May 09, 2015, 08:01:38 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 09, 2015, 07:12:52 PM
Does anyone know what criteria the CCCC use to decide whether to suspend a player based on TV evidence.
It it solely depended on the Sunday game or why isn't young OBrien being hauled up for a hearing for his incident last Saturday?
Is it as watery as ah sure its all over now and sure what does it matter?
Are there clear policies in place for reviewing incidents or just when the notion takes them based on media coverage?

Clear politics. All teams are equal, but some teams are more equal than others. I would like to see a list of all senior inter county retrospective suspensions since the CCCCCCCCCs inception.

Ah poor ould Tyrone. Always the victim eh lads. The propaganda machine North Korean dictators would be proud of.

Tell me a chara, how are those hilariously budding Hannibal Lecters coming on? Not that we're paranoid or anything, but I would have thought a lump taken out of you might have been more injurious than a bit of time wasting (and damned if I can find much about it in the press).  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

larryin89

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 09, 2015, 10:43:52 AM
I recall playing in a Feile Semi final in 1988/89 and the abuse we received from 'good' Galway folk around Headford was not normal. The crew from Mayo that we played were great too. f**k off back north ye black b**tards. Have you any sisters? Shit like that and it was coming from managers nevermind players. It's been happening for years. It's wrong and I agree that if caught players should be censured but when it was happening to us as 13/14 year olds 25 years ago what joke is there?

The term black bastaids was never spoken in Mayo, you're full of shite .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Fuzzman

Indiana, a discussion board is to DISCUSS things and usually somebody asks questions to provoke discussion and mature balanced and of course biased opinions are expressed.
Immature posters who can't think for themselves or don't have any valid counter arguments tend to use childish name calling or mocking tactics.

We have listed several examples of bias against Tyrone and bias for the Dubs with the Dublin based media with especially RTE Sunday game panel having a huge impact on public perception.

Dublin huge fan base are the only county that can continually bring big crowds to Croke park so its in the interest of the GAA that the Dubs are involved as long as possible.

So don't worry Indi, your team will continue to get home matches, a bye to the quarter finals, protection from the media, frees awarded in front of the hill etc etc.
Yes poor Tyrone. The last few years we have to play Donegal/Down away in May in a preliminary round every year and then go round the country as the CCCC deem its unfair we play anyone at home.
In 2005 we played 10 games to win Sam. Kerry played 5.
Fair enough? Yeah we don't really have valid arguments do we?
We have a top player with several all stars who's good name has been dragged through the mud because of Brolly and RTE yet ye have two players who bit other players yet nothing was made of it on the media and most neutrals couldn't even name the lads involved.
I think you would agree biting is much more serious that a rugby tackle yet the biased nature of reporting means we are labeled a cynical team and Dubs are not.
I rest my case you honour.
Yet you have two player

sligoman

Quote from: giveballaghback on May 09, 2015, 11:04:31 PM
sligoman, 11 posts by you all anti roscommon, not a word about any other county, that 6-18 to 0-12 hammering we gave ye in kiltoom a couple of months ago must really have hit the spot, see ye in sligo on that five a side pitch of yers in 6 weeks time.

Couldn't give a damn, we lost fair and square. I'm just here to show the irony in Roscommon lads preaching about the way to play the game. Tyrone beat you fair and square, it was a relatively quiet game with few incidents. Yet you the likes of Syferus and others coming on here cribbing about them and the way they play football. To hear a Roscommon lad criticising another team for how they got themselves over the line is the ultimate in hypocrisy. This could have been nipped in the bud fairly quickly if Syferus tried to address the issue but a bit like yourself, you don't want to talk about Roscommon's shame yet feel it perfectly reasonable to jump on a crusade against another county.

If Syferus was so outraged at the handbags the Tyrone full forward was involved in with the Roscommon player them God help us with what his reaction would have been like with what Grehan and O'Neill used get up to on a football pitch. Of course it's much more likely that his outrage and fear for the way the game is going is merely a pretence for a very bad loser.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: larryin89 on May 10, 2015, 01:30:31 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 09, 2015, 10:43:52 AM
I recall playing in a Feile Semi final in 1988/89 and the abuse we received from 'good' Galway folk around Headford was not normal. The crew from Mayo that we played were great too. f**k off back north ye black b**tards. Have you any sisters? Shit like that and it was coming from managers nevermind players. It's been happening for years. It's wrong and I agree that if caught players should be censured but when it was happening to us as 13/14 year olds 25 years ago what joke is there?

The term black bastaids was never spoken in Mayo, you're full of shite .

It was also said to me on Croke Park one St Paddys day by a mayo man but I had the last laugh that day too!!

weareros

Quote from: sligoman on May 10, 2015, 08:59:12 AM

Couldn't give a damn, we lost fair and square. I'm just here to show the irony in Roscommon lads preaching about the way to play the game. Tyrone beat you fair and square, it was a relatively quiet game with few incidents. Yet you the likes of Syferus and others coming on here cribbing about them and the way they play football. To hear a Roscommon lad criticising another team for how they got themselves over the line is the ultimate in hypocrisy. This could have been nipped in the bud fairly quickly if Syferus tried to address the issue but a bit like yourself, you don't want to talk about Roscommon's shame yet feel it perfectly reasonable to jump on a crusade against another county.

If Syferus was so outraged at the handbags the Tyrone full forward was involved in with the Roscommon player them God help us with what his reaction would have been like with what Grehan and O'Neill used get up to on a football pitch. Of course it's much more likely that his outrage and fear for the way the game is going is merely a pretence for a very bad loser.

First of all myself and many Roscommon contributors congratulated Tyrone. They were by far the better team, scored amazing points against us and won fair and square.

That said: Don't know if you are a bot or a troll but you leave out one important fact when you refer ad nauseam to past Roscommon county players as thugs. Invariably when the likes of Frankie Dolan stepped out of line (and for the most part it was the same for someone like Eamon O'Hara), they ended up getting hefty suspensions. The last time Frankie Dolan verbally abused an official he got a 48 week ban, later reduced to 20 weeks, still a sizable ban. When he took a swing at a Galway selector who should not have been on the pitch, he was given a 3 month ban. Do most punches we see nowadays get 3 months bans? Does verbal abuse get a 5 month ban?

Of course Tommy Carr (who I remember as a Dublin manager running onto the pitch and verbally abusing a ref and pushing his head in his face) decided to end Frankie's county career and John Maughan too, due to his reputation - so Frankie was given the ultimate ban in the end even though he was still one of the best forwards in Connacht. I would say he had the last laugh when he won an All-Ireland and displayed his footballing skills for all to see. I doubt he is too worried that a keyboard warrior like you has little to contribute other than call him a thug.  Grehan was a hard player, not a dirty player. But he once was caught in the act of stamping (even though Galway player in act of sportsmanship denied he was stamped). End result: 3 month ban for Grehan in championship season. Do stamps and real stamps at that we see in games today get 3 months bans? Any bans from the U21 game for instance?

What causes a lot of anger today are players indulging in all sorts of things (stamps, verbal abuse, premeditated elbows into the face and the like) and it results in no bans. They get away with it.

Finally you mentioned earlier Cake's gamesmanship in 2004. What he did was shake Paul Taylor's hand before the penalty? Hardly thuggery. As I mentioned EOH punched David Casey in the balls. Would consider that worse. While he got away with it that time, EOH always found himself getting plenty of suspensions. He was a great player and Rossies supported Sligo in their droves when ye won Connacht in Hyde Park and I was happier than any to see Eamon bury the ball in the net. I just think some counties and some players get picked on because of reputations while lots of others simply get away with it. Very little consistency by the GAA.

INDIANA

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 10, 2015, 08:49:22 AM
Indiana, a discussion board is to DISCUSS things and usually somebody asks questions to provoke discussion and mature balanced and of course biased opinions are expressed.
Immature posters who can't think for themselves or don't have any valid counter arguments tend to use childish name calling or mocking tactics.

We have listed several examples of bias against Tyrone and bias for the Dubs with the Dublin based media with especially RTE Sunday game panel having a huge impact on public perception.

Dublin huge fan base are the only county that can continually bring big crowds to Croke park so its in the interest of the GAA that the Dubs are involved as long as possible.

So don't worry Indi, your team will continue to get home matches, a bye to the quarter finals, protection from the media, frees awarded in front of the hill etc etc.
Yes poor Tyrone. The last few years we have to play Donegal/Down away in May in a preliminary round every year and then go round the country as the CCCC deem its unfair we play anyone at home.
In 2005 we played 10 games to win Sam. Kerry played 5.
Fair enough? Yeah we don't really have valid arguments do we?
We have a top player with several all stars who's good name has been dragged through the mud because of Brolly and RTE yet ye have two players who bit other players yet nothing was made of it on the media and most neutrals couldn't even name the lads involved.
I think you would agree biting is much more serious that a rugby tackle yet the biased nature of reporting means we are labeled a cynical team and Dubs are not.
I rest my case you honour.
Yet you have two player

Ah poor ould tyrone. They want a different set of rules for themselves then for everyone else.

For Tyrone football please see the below check-list

- 14 men behind the ball - check

- writing opponents girlfriends phone numbers on their hands and reciting them to opponents in games - check

- sledging and abuse to opponents - check

- refusal to discuss any rule changes- check

- Systemic and deliberately coached fouling patterns during games even to the point of passing fouls around- check

- Complete denial of all the above and a carefully orchestrated advertising campaign designed to actually make the rest of the GAA Community feel at fault for all of Tyrone's shortcomings- check

tippabu

Good piece from the independent

United by the love of football
Dermot Crowe tells a tale of two strangers whose paths crossed in Parnell Park

Like a lot of people in the GAA, Dom Browne and Owen Roe O'Neill had a great deal in common. They lived around 200 miles apart but on Saturday week last both were headed in the direction of Parnell Park in the hope of seeing their county triumph in the final of the All-Ireland under 21 football championship. Dom Browne travelled with his wife and son from Knockavilla in west Tipperary. Owen Roe O'Neill and his wife left Killyclogher just outside Omagh. They were seated in roughly the same area of the main stand.

The day would have tested any follower's fortitude: grey and sullen, with heavy unrelenting rain. Live television coverage offered a way out but neither man considered that a viable option. Dom Browne was 80 and had a devotion to football impressive in someone from an era steeped in hurling tradition. In 1952, he won an All-Ireland minor hurling medal with Tipperary on a star-studded team that demolished Dublin in the final. A ridiculously precocious half-forward line featured Liam Devaney, Tony Wall and Seán McLoughlin.

In the final, a 9-9 to 2-3 rout of Dublin, Dom scored a goal playing at full-forward. He won a succession of West Tipp senior hurling titles in the '50s. Yet football seemed to cast a spell on him and he travelled frequently to support their county teams. He attended every All-Ireland senior football final since 1948. Earlier this year he was on Tipperary's National League trips to Armagh and Drogheda.

Owen Roe O'Neill turned 68 in March and originally came from Benburb. He also appeared to go against the fashion, showing a preference for hurling in a county where it is a minority sport. In 1966, he won a Tyrone senior hurling championship with Benburb when the club relied on seminarians from the local Priory to fill their teams. Later he moved to Killyclogher and became active in promoting hurling. Two of his sons represented the county in the code, one winning a junior All-Ireland medal. In 2001, his nephew, Ryan O'Neill, won an All-Ireland minor football medal with Tyrone.

Both followers were retired. Dom Browne, named as John on early team sheets but later taking the second name of Dominick, ran a pub and hardware store in Knockavilla that he inherited from his father for a long number of years. In recent years he kept a small farm holding. He was a teetotaller and non-smoker. O'Neill worked as a fireman and had also taken retirement, his eight children reared.

In spite of his passion for football, Browne had to miss the Tipp under 21 semi-final win over Dublin at Tullamore. On Holy Thursday he was walking in the grounds of Rockwell College with his wife, Eileen, when he took ill. As a result he had three stents placed in his heart and made a good recovery. Nothing would stop him going to see Tipp bid to win the title for the first time.

"He decided he was going to go the final, it did not even come into his head to say no," explained his son-in-law John McCormack, a member of the Munster Council refereeing panel. "I was fortunate enough to be with him when the minors won the All-Ireland (football title in 2011) and when Tipperary won the Tommy Murphy (in 2005), those were the two he took great pride in. The tears ran down his face those two days."

For Owen Roe O'Neill, there was the added appeal of having two Killyclogher footballers, the goalkeeper Sean Fox and corner-forward Mark Bradley, on the team facing Tipperary in the under 21 final. He joined the procession from the North to Donnycarney, hoping to see Tyrone become the first winners of the championship since Cormac McAnallen was captain in 2001. Dom Browne, as he usually did, travelled on the Friends of Tipperary Football bus, one of two commissioned for the day. He went with his wife and son John to Cashel and joined the bus there.

"He'd always go to all the away league games, he loved Tipperary football," says Michael Power, the chairman of the Friends of Tipperary Football Association. "A lovely quiet man, himself and his wife Eileen would travel together. Very quiet unassuming man, but he had it at heart - he loved Tipp football. And coming from a hurling background and hurling area as well.

"We parked the buses at St Vincent's GAA club, they put on tea and sandwiches for us when we came up. Dom came in and we were just having a chat with him; I said, 'You are flying now' and he said, 'I wonder how will I be after the match?' He went to all the games. He travelled to most of the away games. He would be a real Tipperary supporter. His passion was the football.

"He just loved, I suppose, the commitment the footballers gave. When you are playing in the lower divisions, you know yourself, it is about the pride they have in the jersey. They wouldn't be in the limelight. Hopefully we will right that." His son-in-law, John, says he fell in love with football: "I don't know what it was. He was a great man for the underdog."

Dom Browne and Owen Roe O'Neill sat down to watch a first half taut with tension and excitement, at the end of which Tipperary led by two points. The teams went off to the shelter of the dressing rooms for their half-time break.

John Browne sat between his mother and father. At some point late in the half his father had placed his hand to his head and said he wasn't feeling well. His son immediately went looking for medical assistance. Before long word circulated that a supporter was receiving attention and a medical emergency was declared. The match would be delayed. Tipp went back out for the second half at one stage but had to return to the dressing room.

"The emergency services, the Guards, were absolutely fabulous," says John McCormack. "Ciarán McDonald, the Tipperary senior footballer, is a doctor and he was near and rushed over and tried to revive him. I think the first time Dom was in Parnell Park, Ciarán was captain of the Tipperary under 21 team against Donegal (2010 All-Ireland semi-final). They spent 30 to 35 minutes trying to resuscitate him."

The wake at Dom Browne's house on Wednesday had people filtering through for six-and-a-half hours. John Costello, on behalf of the Dublin County Board whose offices are situated at Parnell Park, was among the people calling to pay their respects. Never is the GAA family more supportive of one another and above tribal differences than at a time like this. Some years ago at Parnell Park, an umpire suffered a heart attack and the Dublin team doctor, Noel McCaffrey, treated him at the scene. He died later. Never before had the venue experienced a situation where two men suffered cardiac arrest at the same match, within moments of one another.

While Dom Browne was being attended to, Owen Roe O'Neill, who had never previously had heart trouble, also suffered cardiac arrest while seated beside his wife, Mary. The Tyrone team doctor Michael Logan, a brother of the team manager Feargal, went to his aid and after a lengthy effort, managed to revive him. He was taken to hospital where he had a stent placed in his heart and was closely monitored over the following week.

His sister Frances couldn't go to the game. She watched it on television and saw the long delay which placed the match in doubt before it eventually restarted around 40 minutes over schedule.

"He went to Beaumont and then they took him to the Mater and they put a stent in. He got out of intensive care yesterday," she said on Wednesday. "Because of the severity to the collapse they did a brain scan and thank God that has come back ok. He is going for another scan, hoping to do it soon. They need to see if there is any damage to the heart. He may need another stent or pacemaker. He was just very lucky, we are most thankful to everybody - he has four brothers and six sisters. He comes from a big family. So you can imagine when you get a shock like that.

"He has eight children. Five sons, they are all hurlers, three daughters. He has always been very involved in the GAA. As much as he loves football, he is really interested in the hurling. His nephew was nearby and came over.

"The girl beside him was a cardiac nurse out of Beaumont hospital. They were able to get the Tyrone doctor, it was his intervention that brought him back. It was hard work to get him back. It took everything they had. It was just so unfortunate for the other family."

Dom Browne was taken to the city morgue. His son John has spoken of the wonderful compassion shown by gardaí caring for him and his mother while the emergency was under way. Later, the bus that took them to the game waited until they were ready and they travelled back home. Dom Browne died doing what he loved, watching his county football team. He departed as his team led an All-Ireland final against Tyrone and playing some wonderful football. There is some comfort in that for his family.

Michael Power heard the news later that evening. "My daughter was with me at the game, she's an occupational therapist, and she said if you were going to get a heart attack it was probably the best place to get one, lots of people and facilities near, you were near to everything. Everything was done as quickly as possible. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

"He was after missing the win over Dublin, he wasn't at that you see. I think he was adamant he was going to this match one way or the other. It was just before half-time. I think he turned to his son John and said, 'I think I am in trouble'".

Brendan Harkin is secretary of Killyclogher and a Tyrone County Board officer who attended the same game but moved to the other side as the stand had nearly filled when they arrived 40 minutes before throw-in. "Owen does the scoreboard for all the home games. He is very involved in fundraising. He is chairman of the hurling committee of the club.

"The other dimension to this is the defibrillators being available is as a result of the legacy of Cormac McAnallen. As a result of that, every ground has one, every club in Tyrone has one. The interesting thing there is Owen Roe played for Benburb, it is beside Cormac, they are practically neighbours. It was Cormac's legacy's that helped save his life."

McAnallen's brother, Donal, was at the match. "I was within 20 yards of the man who died," he says. He also knows the man who survived. "He is one of the longest-serving hurling disciples left in Tyrone."

Dom Browne was buried in Knockavilla on Thursday, where he was life president of the local Kickhams GAA club. "He was stuck in the heart of it there, with the GAA and having the pub and shop over so many years," says club chairman Tony Farrell. "A great man to go to all matches."

His son-in-law, John, says that it would have mortified him "to think he would have held up the match for half an hour - he would not want to be the centre of attention. He wouldn't be looking for any headlines."

A neighbour and former local school principal Danny Morrissey, described him as "a GAA man though and through since his childhood. He retired I'd say from the game at about 25, which was very young at the time. I was very friendly with him as a young lad, he was the type of person who always had time to talk to everybody, especially about the GAA.

"He was a great admirer of the Down team that came in 1960 and '61, I remember as a young lad he telling me all about them and how good they were. So his football interest in not new to me, I am not surprised by it. It is very much a hurling country around here. I doubt if he played football himself.

"I can remember as a young lad, Dominick talking to me about Patsy O'Hagan, a very stylish Down footballer of the time, and Dom was very taken by him. He took me on my first trip to Croke Park in 1968, the All-Ireland against Wexford. He loved social dancing. I had a couple of family bereavements and he was a great man to attend these events. He was very, very loyal in that respect."

Nobody really had a bad word to say about John 'Dom' Browne. And nobody, certainly, could accuse him of being a sunshine supporter. He was loyal as they come. Loyal to the last. Tipperary and the GAA have lost a true follower.

Jinxy

Was just about to post that.
Lovely article.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

giveballaghback

Now larrin89 knows how much I love Mayo but I can honestly say this, in over 50 years attending ros-mayo clashes at county and club I never had an issue with either their players or supporters other than their annoying chants of mayooooo mayooooo when they are beating the lard out of us. Mayo and Galway are our biggest opponents and the teams we really love to beat but they are salt of the earth gaa supporters whom I have the height of respect for, the abuse given to them here to justify northern thuggery is untrue and unwarranted.

orangeman

sligoman

Quote from: weareros on May 10, 2015, 01:19:01 PM
Quote from: sligoman on May 10, 2015, 08:59:12 AM

First of all myself and many Roscommon contributors congratulated Tyrone. They were by far the better team, scored amazing points against us and won fair and square.

That said: Don't know if you are a bot or a troll but you leave out one important fact when you refer ad nauseam to past Roscommon county players as thugs. Invariably when the likes of Frankie Dolan stepped out of line (and for the most part it was the same for someone like Eamon O'Hara), they ended up getting hefty suspensions. The last time Frankie Dolan verbally abused an official he got a 48 week ban, later reduced to 20 weeks, still a sizable ban. When he took a swing at a Galway selector who should not have been on the pitch, he was given a 3 month ban. Do most punches we see nowadays get 3 months bans? Does verbal abuse get a 5 month ban?

Of course Tommy Carr (who I remember as a Dublin manager running onto the pitch and verbally abusing a ref and pushing his head in his face) decided to end Frankie's county career and John Maughan too, due to his reputation - so Frankie was given the ultimate ban in the end even though he was still one of the best forwards in Connacht. I would say he had the last laugh when he won an All-Ireland and displayed his footballing skills for all to see. I doubt he is too worried that a keyboard warrior like you has little to contribute other than call him a thug.  Grehan was a hard player, not a dirty player. But he once was caught in the act of stamping (even though Galway player in act of sportsmanship denied he was stamped). End result: 3 month ban for Grehan in championship season. Do stamps and real stamps at that we see in games today get 3 months bans? Any bans from the U21 game for instance?

What causes a lot of anger today are players indulging in all sorts of things (stamps, verbal abuse, premeditated elbows into the face and the like) and it results in no bans. They get away with it.

Finally you mentioned earlier Cake's gamesmanship in 2004. What he did was shake Paul Taylor's hand before the penalty? Hardly thuggery. As I mentioned EOH punched David Casey in the balls. Would consider that worse. While he got away with it that time, EOH always found himself getting plenty of suspensions. He was a great player and Rossies supported Sligo in their droves when ye won Connacht in Hyde Park and I was happier than any to see Eamon bury the ball in the net. I just think some counties and some players get picked on because of reputations while lots of others simply get away with it. Very little consistency by the GAA.

I'm just adding balance to an argument, Syferus bemoaning the way Tyrone behaved on the field of play is a little bit rich when Roscommon had players who regularly crossed the line. You talk about Roscommon players not getting away with it? You could clearly hear some of the things Dolan would call the referee in matches, if he paid the ultimate price in the end it was a long time coming. Curran would do anything and everything to get inside an opponent's head. It wasn't just shaking his hand, he delayed the penalty by about two minutes and the aim was to put a player off his game, it is gamesmanship and I accept that is part of it, I'm simply bringing these incidents up as a point of balance.

In 2004 Seamie O'Neill levelled O'Hara with a punch right after the final whistle in full view of the referee he got away with it, I don't think I saw a match involving Roscommon where O'Neill wasn't throwing punches at an opposition player. It was hard to pick out who was a bigger thug between himself and Grehan but again I'm only bringing these incidents and examples up as a point of balance - Roscommon people are in no position to lecture other counties about the wrongs of cynicism, diving, cheating, gamesmanship and even defensive football with they way ye lined out against Armagh last year.