NHL 2015

Started by seafoid, February 15, 2015, 04:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Here's what I thought about yesterday. Usual verbiage warning applies, only more so.

theskull1

Great detailed report deiseach. None of the standard journalistic vague patter. Having watched the game, you explained it perfectly to a tee.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

waterfordlad

I'm looking forward to the final now on Sunday. Waterford haven't won the league since 2007 and Cork surprisingly haven't won it since 1998 so both teams will be going all out for the win. None of this it's only the league or shadow boxing talk before we meet in 5 weeks in championship. Neither side has won many national senior titles in recent years so would be good to get some silverware. The weather forecast isn't great but hopefully should be a decent crowd at it.

johnneycool

Quote from: waterfordlad on May 01, 2015, 01:09:40 PM
I'm looking forward to the final now on Sunday. Waterford haven't won the league since 2007 and Cork surprisingly haven't won it since 1998 so both teams will be going all out for the win. None of this it's only the league or shadow boxing talk before we meet in 5 weeks in championship. Neither side has won many national senior titles in recent years so would be good to get some silverware. The weather forecast isn't great but hopefully should be a decent crowd at it.

As with most young teams, can they put consistency to those undoubted talents will be the big question for Waterford.

Cork aren't great at the minute, were played off the park for 50 minutes against the Dubs, but still managed to take the lead before the final whistle, so there's some resolve there in all fairness.
Tough one to call, would like to see Waterford do it for the sake of McGrath who seems to be a level headed type guy, but I'd bet he'd care nothing of a defeat on Sunday if he could reverse the result 5 weeks later.

Canalman

Quote from: johnneycool on May 01, 2015, 01:22:02 PM
Quote from: waterfordlad on May 01, 2015, 01:09:40 PM

As with most young teams, can they put consistency to those undoubted talents will be the big question for Waterford.

Cork aren't great at the minute, were played off the park for 50 minutes against the Dubs, but still managed to take the lead before the final whistle, so there's some resolve there in all fairness.
Tough one to call, would like to see Waterford do it for the sake of McGrath who seems to be a level headed type guy, but I'd bet he'd care nothing of a defeat on Sunday if he could reverse the result 5 weeks later.

Disagree with you there a bit. Reckon Waterford would prefer the win on Sunday and a defeat in  the Munster championship rematch if they were given the choice............... a national title more important to them now I think. IMO of course.

deiseach

I'd prefer to win on Sunday, for what it's worth. A bird in the hand and all that. It would also be nice to round off a slow burner of a league campaign with what would be a well deserved win.

Cue a narrow defeat followed by an absolute hiding.

Roashter

Initially I wasn't that keen on this pairing as I thought (naively) that one or both teams may be holding something back for championship.
However, neither team can afford to ship a heavy defeat and I reckon both teams will be going all out to win.
An interesting decision by Cork to go with a new full back, but they needed to make some change here as Cahalane has been struggling in this position. To be fair to Cahalane he is probably better off out the field but I don't think he is better than any of the other Cork half-backs.

Cork's forwards have been pretty good during the league and are more than capable of putting up big scores. If they can tighten up in defence then the chances of Liam McCarthy returning to Leeside will be greatly improved.
Waterford were very impressive against Tipp, and showed real battle to stay in the game and then push on for the win. If they play with the same intensity again on Sunday they will be very hard to beat. They probably need more scoring forwards though.

Hopefully it will be close on Sunday with only a point or 2 separating the sides. That would be a nice build up for championship!!

CD

I see the complete and utter disregard for rule 1.4 is rampant with both the large and small balls now. At least something the codes have in common.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on May 01, 2015, 03:10:16 PM
I'd prefer to win on Sunday, for what it's worth. A bird in the hand and all that. It would also be nice to round off a slow burner of a league campaign with what would be a well deserved win.

Cue a narrow defeat followed by an absolute hiding.
comhghairdeiseach

Great win for the Blas.

deiseach

lynchbhoy

Delighted for my old blah boy buddies and the mahonys in particular!
Can't see them winning the all Ireland but it's a great start!
Hope they can build on this !

waterfordlad

Waterford always looked in control yesterday and Cork were never ahead in the game and I felt were beaten with about 10 minutes to go. Great workrate from Waterford team and Cork forwards apart from Harnedy and Lehane struggled. Austin Gleeson showed his class with two fantastic points from the sideline in the first half, one a sideline cut and another super run and shot.
I didn't expect us to win so easily and Cork will be looking to get revenge in 5 weeks but we'll enjoy this league title for now.

Gallybander

The league campaign in 1998 was the making of the successful Waterford team of the next 10 years.
I'd dearly love this to be beginning of another great era.

Roashter

Super win for Waterford, they dominated in almost all areas of the field.

Hard to believe how poor Cork were. Harnedy & Lehane were the only 2 forwards to show any real fight. Pat Horgan contributed practically nothing from play & Paudie O'Sullivan was very poor -and this was a big chance for him to stake his place on the team. There are serious question marks over Corks' strength in depth now.

Waterford's defence was excellent, and the keeper made a very good save at a time when a goal for Cork could have changed the momentum. Gleeson was very good at centre-back and will only improve with each game. Good to see Moran & Brick Walsh also play very well.
Waterford still have a bit of work to do as they had some bad wides as well as some aimless clearences into Cork defenders. That is always the danger with bringing players back, but their system is still evolving and they will get better.

Championship game now is really interesting. Waterford on a high and will bring big support. I would be shocked if Cork were as bad again, but then again maybe they are at a level below Waterford.

Premier Emperor

This league win will always have an asterisk beside it because Waterford had an easy path to the knockouts coming through a division of weak counties.
It's just like how Kilkenny benefit from teams in Leinster rolling over for them an giving them a bye to the All Ireland series.