Most naturally talented

Started by gaafan123, November 19, 2006, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: Bomber on September 17, 2008, 10:55:41 PM
Watched those youtube videos. Benny Coulter was unreal in them. Totally dominated them and scored at will. Serious player even at that age. Don't think I have ever seen anyone dominate games in such a way like those two Under 16 finals on youtube.

I have watched him since the 1999 minors and just never figured out why Down never played him midfield or half forward for the senior team for a decent period of time. I know he played a bit in the half forward line for them but has played mostly in the full forward line. I know he gets plenty of goals but I always believed he would be better further out the field dictating play and running at people?? He is not the biggest but is very strong and has a good leap and could get away at midfield I believe at county level.

Also he was pointing 45's off the ground when he was 16/17, whats wrong he doesn't anymore. Can he not do it anymore or just doesn't?

never mind the u-16 finals, did any of you watch the 1993 U-12 final where Coulter was flying at corner forward and Sexton and Michael Walsh were runnin the show. Great to think that those men were playin as kids, then in Croker in the Minor final, then on County senior teams--that was some u-12 team
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

screenexile

Yeah it's a pity that none of them can string 2 decent games together for the Senior Team.

Natural Talent well there are a few. I remember when I was really young watching Eamon Burns and James McCartan in a McRory final that was awesome one year. Paul McFlynn also played McRory football for St. Mary's and was always a naturally intelligent and class footballer. Gerard Cassidy also another who never quite fulfilled his promise from his younger days. Martin Clarke can also be included although I don't think we will see him in a Down jersey again.

In terms of players who are household names well you'd have to say Canavan, Gooch, Maurice Fitz, Declan Browne, Geraghty, McHugh, Tohill ( :( as much as I hate him he was a class footballer).

Canalman

Kevin O'Brien of Wicklow by acountry mile. Absolute class.

Other notables, Mickey Linden, Mikey Sheehy,Larry Tompkins and especially Matt Connor.

Onlooker

Matt Connor was a brilliant player and going back a few years, Frank McGuigan was a supreme talent.  Maurice Fitzgerald was class and my own county man Declan Browne is up there with the very best.  Greg Blaney did not score as much as those mentioned but was an outstanding player.  I am giving away my age, but Sean O'Neill was an exceptional forward on the great Down team of the 1960's.

blanketattack

Is Blaney considered better than Linden? I always thought that Linden was considered the best Down player of that era?

Down Gael

Blaney was the playmaker. he seemed to always be aware where his corner forwards were. He rarely gave a bad pass. He was also as hard as nails. Its very hard to pick out an individual on the Down team from 91-94, there were so many outstanding players, but Blaney was just that wee bit special.

mylestheslasher

When I think "naturally talented" I always think forwards for some reason.

Some of my favorites would be (in no particular order except for Maurice Fitz who is no 1...

Maurice Fitz
Gooch
Frankie Dolan (when on form)
Stevie McDonald
Canavan
Ciaran McDonald

On the debate on Cavan. Aidan Connolly was a tremendous footballer but as Lynchboy said, he destroyed himself with drink and with that his reputation too. Larry a naturally gifted footballer, I don't know. An exciting footballer yes, naturally gifted to a point I suppose. Pierson can be exceptional but hasn't done it enough to warrant being on that list. Cavans most naturally gifted footballers of the last 20 yrs is Dermot McCabe.(Stephen King & Damian Reilly would be top if it was 25 yrs!)

thewobbler

Naturally talented is a strange concept.

I see Kieran McDonald mentioned above. A naturally brilliant striker of a football, yes...but a natural footballer? I don't know. Players like Brian McGuigan, Greg Blaney and Trevor Giles were the fulcrums of winning All-Ireland teams because they naturally understood how to play football - maintaining possession, releasing players at the right time, always available to take the ball from their defence. McDonald was poor on all those counts. In my mind that would make them all better natural footballers, miles ahead of McDonald.

mouview

Oh come on! Michael Donnellan was the most naturally talented, most *physically* consummate player of this era. Maurice Fitz would be his only peer.

Hardy

Quote from: mouview on September 18, 2008, 01:56:17 PM
Oh come on! Michael Donnellan was the most naturally talented, most *physically* consummate player of this era. Maurice Fitz would be his only peer.

Donnellan? A runner.

Canalman

Forgot to add Colin Cooper.......a class act. Don't know him personally so I will not refer to him as "Gooch"......unlike the RTE commentators.....very unprofessional imho.

GaillimhIarthair

In no particular order -

Matt Connor, Michael Donnellan, Maurice Fitz. 

its me again

When I think "naturally talented" I always think forwards for some reason.

Some of my favorites would be (in no particular order except for Maurice Fitz who is no 1...

Maurice Fitz
Gooch
Frankie Dolan (when on form)
Stevie McDonald
Canavan
Ciaran McDonald

On the debate on Cavan. Aidan Connolly was a tremendous footballer but as Lynchboy said, he destroyed himself with drink and with that his reputation too. Larry a naturally gifted footballer, I don't know. An exciting footballer yes, naturally gifted to a point I suppose. Pierson can be exceptional but hasn't done it enough to warrant being on that list. Cavans most naturally gifted footballers of the last 20 yrs is Dermot McCabe.(Stephen King & Damian Reilly would be top if it was 25 yrs

is this Frankie Dolan from Roscommon?(apologises if this is obvious!!!!)

i know but not through football is he that good?

mylestheslasher

guy crouchback

maurice fitz and a mention for kieran mc donald.