Change one historical GAA event

Started by Orior, April 18, 2007, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

QuoteI noticed you left  "game of football" out of that sentence. A very apt omission

What are you on about?

stew

In that Kerry Tyrone game Tyrone were magnificent in the first half and they blew kerry away with some fantastic passages of play, naturally in the second half they decided to sit on their lead and make a mockery of proceedings by holding up play, going to ground very easily and cheating when all they had to do was play football and they would have won going away. This was the day soccer style playacting was introduced and the refs did not know how to handle it in that game or the AIF in the next one. This is a huge part of Mickey Hartes legacy, well that, two All Irelands and threatening to sue the association at every farts turn. Mickey is a walking enigma. :o
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AhFeckRef

Carrick On Shannon 1995.

Reality!
Leitrim, reigning provincial champions, loose by a late late injury time point to Galway after a terrible match in Pairc Sean.

Alternative ending!
Leitrim, reigning provincial champions, draw with Galway after a terrible match in Pairc Sean.
Next weekend they repeat the heroics of the two years before and snatch a victory from Galway in their home ground Tuam Stadium.

After a poor Connaught Final Leitrim retain their title and proceed to meet Tyrone in the All Ireland Semi Final.
The team have crossed swords before in recent league outings.
After a titianic strugle Leitrim overcome the Tyrone team to reach the All Ireland Final against last years Semi Final opposition Dublin.
Young Tyrone player Peter Canavan has a nightmare day when he is marked out of it by Seamus Quinn. As a result he decides to hang up his boots from  inter county football to concentrate on his teaching career.

The all Ireland final sees a much improved Leitrim team match Dublin blow for blow and a late late Mickey Quinn point snatches victory as Leitrim goes on to win it's first all ireland to scenes of wild extatic celebrations in Croke Park.

:'( ::) :'(

Gnevin

Quote from: AhFeckRef on April 23, 2007, 10:42:45 AM
Carrick On Shannon 1995.

Reality!
Leitrim, reigning provincial champions, loose by a late late injury time point to Galway after a terrible match in Pairc Sean.

Alternative ending!
Leitrim, reigning provincial champions, draw with Galway after a terrible match in Pairc Sean.
Next weekend they repeat the heroics of the two years before and snatch a victory from Galway in their home ground Tuam Stadium.

After a poor Connaught Final Leitrim retain their title and proceed to meet Tyrone in the All Ireland Semi Final.
The team have crossed swords before in recent league outings.
After a titianic strugle Leitrim overcome the Tyrone team to reach the All Ireland Final against last years Semi Final opposition Dublin.
Young Tyrone player Peter Canavan has a nightmare day when he is marked out of it by Seamus Quinn. As a result he decides to hang up his boots from  inter county football to concentrate on his teaching career.

The all Ireland final sees a much improved Leitrim team match Dublin blow for blow and a late late Mickey Quinn point snatches victory as Leitrim goes on to win it's first all ireland to scenes of wild extatic celebrations in Croke Park.

:'( ::) :'(

Its Change one historical GAA event , not the entire fabric of the universe
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

nrico2006

The 95 All Ireland Final, Charlie Redmond should have got off the pitch when he was sent off and Paddy Russell should for once make a good decision and allow Tyrones genuine equalising point to stand.

The 2005 Ulster Final should have been won by the better team, and not won by Armagh due to the incorrect dismissal of the teams top 2 forwards (SON & Canavan) when the side were comfortably leading.  How the ref sent Canavan off for being dragged around the ground amazes me still, and how the hoor who dragged him was only shown a second yello in comparison with Peter the Greats straight red is unbelievable(I also feel for Marsden 03 - disgrace, still sickens me seeing Jordan play acting on the floor like a bitch!).  If the referee did his job properly then he could have stopped the most irritating GAA picture ever from being taken:

QuoteCirca 1970 Mr Fitzgerald of Kerry and Mr Canavan of Ballygawley should have been sterilised

Good one!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

armaghniac

An extra point for Kerry in the drawn Munster final 2006. Their defeat by Cork forced them to get their act together, whereas they might have cruised on and been beaten by Armagh in the AI semi-final.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI noticed you left  "game of football" out of that sentence. A very apt omission
QuoteWhat are you on about?

as in,  I dont consider the 2003 semi-final as a "game of football"

Jinxy

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2007, 12:32:29 PM
The 95 All Ireland Final, Charlie Redmond should have got off the pitch when he was sent off and Paddy Russell should for once make a good decision and allow Tyrones genuine equalising point to stand.

The 2005 Ulster Final should have been won by the better team, and not won by Armagh due to the incorrect dismissal of the teams top 2 forwards (SON & Canavan) when the side were comfortably leading.  How the ref sent Canavan off for being dragged around the ground amazes me still, and how the hoor who dragged him was only shown a second yello in comparison with Peter the Greats straight red is unbelievable(I also feel for Marsden 03 - disgrace, still sickens me seeing Jordan play acting on the floor like a bitch!).  If the referee did his job properly then he could have stopped the most irritating GAA picture ever from being taken:

Never saw that Geezer pic before. I did hear a rumour though, the last thing he shouted at his team-mates before charging out of the dressing room at half-time was "Lets win this one for the hardworking photographers out there!!"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

Quoteas in,  I dont consider the 2003 semi-final as a "game of football"

Why? Because the other team tried to take the ball of your team and didn't let them run through them? Sad.

Kerry, as well as many other things, are well known for taking defeat with good grace and your whinging is out of sync with most of your county mens attitudes. Get over it already. I'm sure ye will beat Tyrone again in the championship some day.

An Cloch Scoilte

Ray Cosgrove pointing the last minute free in the '02 semi against Armagh.
Dubs winning the replay and Armagh still being on 1 All-Ireland!!!! ;)

full back

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on April 25, 2007, 11:47:21 AM
Ray Cosgrove pointing the last minute free in the '02 semi against Armagh.
Dubs winning the replay and Armagh still being on 1 All-Ireland!!!! ;)

Eh?  ???

An Cloch Scoilte

OOPs my mistake meant to say NO All-Irelands!!! :o

Mike Sheehy

QuoteKerry, as well as many other things, are well known for taking defeat with good grace and your whinging is out of sync with most of your county mens attitudes. Get over it already. I'm sure ye will beat Tyrone again in the championship some day.

Once again you show your hypocrisy. Were you not whinging for years after Armagh beat sligo ?

ONeill

You're right. There was only one team in it (had the balls for it) that day.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magpie seanie

QuoteOnce again you show your hypocrisy.

Excuse me?

QuoteWere you not whinging for years after Armagh beat sligo ?

I think you'll find that its usually Armagh contributers (and in particular one rather rotund one) who jabber at me about that. For instance, I didn't mention it on this thread until one of the Armagh boys did.

You really don't like me do you?