Connacht Club SFC,IFC and JFC 2014

Started by Collie Brolly, September 30, 2014, 12:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revsperminute

Connacht Senior Football Club Championship
Quarter Final (26/10/14)
Tubbercurry (Sligo) -v- Aughawillan (Leitrim)

Semi Final (09/11/14)
Ballintubber (Mayo) -v- St. Bridgets (Roscommon)
Winner of Quarter Final -v- Corofin (Galway)

Final (23/11/14)

Connacht Intermediate Football Club Championship
Quarter Final (19/10/14)
Dromahair (Leitrim) 0-06 v Ballyhanuis (Mayo) 3-13

Semi Final (02/11/14)
Calry/St Joseph's (Sligo)} -v- Killanin (Galway)
Ballyhanuis (Mayo)  -v- St. Croans (Roscommon)

Final (16/11/14)

Connacht Junior Football Club Championship
Semi Final (19/10/14)
Owenmore Gaels (Sligo) 0-06 v Arann Islands (Galway) 4-18

Semi Final (02/11/14)
Achill Island (Mayo) -v- Michael Glaveys (Roscommon)

Final (16/11/14)
Semi Final Winners -v- Arann Islands (Galway)

Connacht Intermediate Hurling Club Championship
Semi Final (27/10/14)
Ballyhanuis (Mayo) -v- Four Roads (Roscommon)

Final (09/11/14)
Semi Final Winner -v-  Cappataggle or Ahascragh (Galway)

Connacht Junior Hurling Club Championship
Semi Final (27/10/14)
Calry/St. Josephs (Sligo) -v- Carrick (Leitrim)

Final (08/11/14)
Semi Final Winner -v- {(Spideal -v- Ballygar) or (Sylane -v- [Annaghdown or Skehana]) (Galway)}

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on October 19, 2014, 04:09:44 PM
Brigids 1-07 Fhailes 0-01 HT in the Ros Senior final.

Frankie with 1-05 of that. To think Maughan thought Frankie was finished eight years ago. He's kicking for fun today. In terms of pure talent we've produced few players that compare to him.

Brigids with the wind but they're far superior. Will take a miracle for Fhailes to get back into this one.

Did any of the managers after Maughan recall him to the colours?

Syferus

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 20, 2014, 06:22:08 PM

Frankie with 1-05 of that. To think Maughan thought Frankie was finished eight years ago. He's kicking for fun today. In terms of pure talent we've produced few players that compare to him.

Brigids with the wind but they're far superior. Will take a miracle for Fhailes to get back into this one.

FOD was the only meaningful manager in the post-Maughan era on that front and he wanted him back. Sure he fecking played with Frankie and brought Seamie O'Neill back into the fold and in all fairness to Seamie he was no where near as committed a player as Frankie. He was turning 34 by the time FOD was done and there was never going to be any chance of a return after that.

He was completely disillusioned with county football after the most tanned man in Ireland was done with him.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on October 20, 2014, 07:58:11 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 20, 2014, 06:22:08 PM

FOD was the only meaningful manager in the post-Maughan era on that front and he wanted him back. Sure he fecking played with Frankie and brought Seamie O'Neill back into the fold and in all fairness to Seamie he was no where near as committed a player as Frankie. He was turning 34 by the time FOD was done and there was never going to be any chance of a return after that.

He was completely disillusioned with county football after the most tanned man in Ireland was done with him.

Had Senan Kilbride a good game Syf? He usually does the bizz for Brigids, but for whatever reason cannot transform that for Roscommon.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

Frankie D couldn't stand up to Maughan, no? Ah well. There's no shame than that. Maughan's broken bigger men.

Syferus

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 20, 2014, 10:05:10 PM

Frankie D couldn't stand up to Maughan, no? Ah well. There's no shame than that. Maughan's broken bigger men.

The problem was he stood up to Johnny and Johhny didn't like that. You were either in lock-step with Johnny to you were the enemy. Made Tommy Carr look like a quality manager by comparsion.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: sligoman2 on October 19, 2014, 10:21:14 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 18, 2014, 03:12:09 PM
FT

Connacht Junior Football Championship

Owenmore Gaels 0-06  Oileáin Árann 4-18

Jaysus Christ owenmoresider - that's a shocking defeat - any reports on this match?
I'm more shocked that you're shocked, I was hinting towards something like this in my previous post - in fairness there are few clubs in the province that would have as impressive a back catalogue of suffering championship hidings as we do, and in a situation where ordinarily you would expect the Galway junior champions to beat their Sligo equivalents, it would be more so when it's a Sligo team that didn't even win it (still didn't need the cheapshot in the Weekender about that though). Not really trying to excuse it, it was a terrible performance on our part, but it was against a quite strong Aran side, and our sights had been firmly set on the previous weekend's game, which had ended in a crushing defeat.

The game was over by HT, 1-11 to 0-3 to Aran with us having had wind advantage, though it was blowing strongly towards the cemetery corner. Had some good passages of play after the break but Aran kept tagging on the scores, what annoyed me greatly though was them running in goals late on when the game was long over as a contest, and indeed they also hit the bar straight after their fourth. We had already discovered we weren't anywhere near their level without having to rub it in. For their sake I hope they can find those goals as easy in the final - Mary's did the flat track bully routine here in their senior quarter final, running in three goals in the last couple of minutes of a game already over, but when they needed goals in the final they weren't able to get one. They are a decent side though and I don't imagine Achill or Glaveys will have it easy in the final. BTW that game on Saturday was the semi, as Leitrim have no rep.

Two other things:
-Aran brought tremendous support to Sligo for it, obviously great pride in the team exists there and fair play to them for that, ours would have probably fitted in on the subs bench, but that is a familar tale.
-Not that it would have changed the attendance, but I don't see how our own ground, which was deemed fit to hold an FBD game earlier this year, could not have hosted this game, the moronic insistince on playing every game in the county ground really ought to be stopped, there are plenty of grounds in each county capable of hosting the crowds that attend them. The Ballagh/Curry game in 2012 was the worst example of this, with Charlestown located beside the two, but they got brought to Castlebar anyway.

Farrandeelin

I see Tubbercurry lost to Aughawillan. Anybody at the match? Have Corofin anything to be fearful about?

galwayman

Owenmoresider - re your point on not being able to host the game in your own ground...
I'm fairly sure that Connacht club fixtures have to be played at one of a number of "nominated" county grounds.
So I can only assume that Sligo nominated Mark Park & didn't include your clubs ground as a nominated venue.
I played in the Connacht junior final last year myself & we were to have "home" advantage.
We had a choice between Pearse Stadium in Galway city,Tuam Stadium & Duggan Park in Ballinasloe as they were the 3 nominated/designated county grounds in Galway.

So based on this I assume it was because your county board had nominated other grounds as their designated county ground.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on October 26, 2014, 07:55:12 PM
Owenmoresider - re your point on not being able to host the game in your own ground...
I'm fairly sure that Connacht club fixtures have to be played at one of a number of "nominated" county grounds.
So I can only assume that Sligo nominated Mark Park & didn't include your clubs ground as a nominated venue.
I played in the Connacht junior final last year myself & we were to have "home" advantage.
We had a choice between Pearse Stadium in Galway city,Tuam Stadium & Duggan Park in Ballinasloe as they were the 3 nominated/designated county grounds in Galway.

So based on this I assume it was because your county board had nominated other grounds as their designated county ground.

After Corofin went kung-fú fighting with the ref following Brigids beating them in the Connacht final in Kiltoom JP and the boys decreed no club could host inter-pro games even if they were official county grounds.

I would have loved to see the dancing the Bekan boys would need to have done had Mitchels beaten Ballintubber..

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on October 26, 2014, 08:26:41 PM

After Corofin went kung-fú fighting with the ref following Brigids beating them in the Connacht final in Kiltoom JP and the boys decreed no club could host inter-pro games even if they were official county grounds.

I would have loved to see the dancing the Bekan boys would need to have done had Mitchels beaten Ballintubber..
MacHale Park isn't owned by Castlebar Mitchels anymore.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 26, 2014, 09:48:59 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 26, 2014, 08:26:41 PM

MacHale Park isn't owned by Castlebar Mitchels anymore.

Still listed as their home ground on their website, and I assume a venue they use for a lot of home games. I doubt the decree went into the finer points of clubs owning or not owning their home grounds.

Farrandeelin

They use one of the pitches behind the stand for their home games. Munnelly Park I believe its called.

sligoman2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 26, 2014, 07:37:19 PM
I see Tubbercurry lost to Aughawillan. Anybody at the match? Have Corofin anything to be fearful about?
I listened to the match on the radio, I would think that Tubber would be upset with the amount of red and black cards handed out.  Game was tied with a few mins to go, then aughawillan went up a point which led to an all out attack from tubber that broke down and led to an easy goal for augh.

I don't think corofin have any worries, it didn't sound like a great game.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

galwayman

I'd expect Corofin to have too much for Aughawillan.
Ballintubber or Brigids would be a big test for them then.

It's hard to know how much (if at all) Corofin have improved since last year but I guess we will find out over the next few weeks.
They're a very good side but I don't think there's an All Ireland in them.
I personally think in a tight game against one of the other top sides in the country - they lack a bit of quality up front.Lundy and Sice are top class but I wouldn't class any of their inside forwards in the same bracket.
That could be their undoing I fear.