Connacht Club SFC,IFC and JFC 2014

Started by Collie Brolly, September 30, 2014, 12:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 03, 2014, 04:39:18 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 03, 2014, 03:37:27 PM
The junior final is getting a lot of play in the media. Will be a big crowd at it I'd say.

Islanders to meet in novel Connacht club JFC final

03 November 2014

The Island men of Aran and Achill will face off in a truly unique Connacht club JFC final on Sunday week, November 16.

In the semi-finals, Aran Islands of Galway cruised to a 4-18 to 0-6 victory over Sligo's Owenmore Gaels at Markievicz Park, while Mayo representatives Achill Island defeated Roscommon's Michael Glavey's by 1-16 to 1-14 after extra-time in Elvery's MacHale Park yesterday.

While the final is set to take place on the mainland, Achill Island corner back Colm Cafferkey has joked that it could be played on one of the islands off the West coast.

"It might be Inishbofin and they've a good pitch in Inishturk as well," he remarked in the Western People.

"This is a novel final. We've seen them (Aran) in the Comortas Peil and we've played against them in Sevens tournaments and they're a serious outfit. We know how hard they work to keep football alive on the islands – we know how hard it is for us and we've got a bridge.

"We're looking forward to meeting them and we'll be confident and ready for battle."

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/aran-islands-achill-island-1759533-Nov2014/

Imagine the play it would get if my oil tanker suggestion was acted on.....

Could play it on the pitch on Clare Island.

GalwayBayBoy

Junior final will be in Tuam I believe.

galwayman

Galway champs travelled to play the Mayo champs last year so Aran would be due a "home" game.
Pearse Stadium is closed at the minute so is not an option

From the Bunker

The Aran/Achill Final is a great opportunity to do something novel like have the final on one of the west coast Islands. I wonder would either Island find it an inconvenience travel wise if it was held on one of the Islands?

Mano

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 03, 2014, 07:24:44 PM
So we lost the senior by 5 pts, the intermediate by26 points an the junior by 24 points.  What a shambles.  Dark days for sligo football.

Hopefully calry can do better in the hurling.

Would be concerned about Intermediate and junior results but have never been competitive at these levels before

At senior level, a mixture of bad luck/apparent disrespect for Aughawillan/Connaught competition and poor refereeing resulted in Tubbers defeat. 3 Tubber players went on holidays the week of the Aughawillan game including key player Brian curran. A harsh black card was given to Stephen Gilmartin just after half time and Tubber were reduced in numbers when the wing forward got a black card and a red even though referee was the only person in the ground who had a record of a first booking for the player.

sligoman2

Quote from: Mano on November 04, 2014, 01:10:48 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on November 03, 2014, 07:24:44 PM
So we lost the senior by 5 pts, the intermediate by26 points an the junior by 24 points.  What a shambles.  Dark days for sligo football.

Hopefully calry can do better in the hurling.

Would be concerned about Intermediate and junior results but have never been competitive at these levels before

At senior level, a mixture of bad luck/apparent disrespect for Aughawillan/Connaught competition and poor refereeing resulted in Tubbers defeat. 3 Tubber players went on holidays the week of the Aughawillan game including key player Brian curran. A harsh black card was given to Stephen Gilmartin just after half time and Tubber were reduced in numbers when the wing forward got a black card and a red even though referee was the only person in the ground who had a record of a first booking for the player.

It's still a terrible record even with the absentees, bad calls etc.  Worse still I think lost all ages at home but I could be wrong
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

commonman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 04, 2014, 01:03:26 PM

are both the junior and intermediate finals down for 16 November. As far as I know the croans killanin game is in tuam, is it a double header I wonder?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: commonman on November 05, 2014, 09:48:23 AM

are both the junior and intermediate finals down for 16 November. As far as I know the croans killanin game is in tuam, is it a double header I wonder?

I thought the intermediate game was in the Hyde?

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 05, 2014, 01:32:59 PM
Quote from: commonman on November 05, 2014, 09:48:23 AM

I thought the intermediate game was in the Hyde?

That's what I heard.

GalwayBayBoy

Actually GBFM have announced it's a double header in Tuam @ 12 and 2.

galwayman

Yeah double header in Tuam.
Last time Galway & Ros champs played at this level was in Kiltoom in 2011 so Galway champs due a "home" game this time

sligoman2

Quote from: galwayman on November 05, 2014, 04:27:10 PM
Yeah double header in Tuam.
Last time Galway & Ros champs played at this level was in Kiltoom in 2011 so Galway champs due a "home" game this time
[/quote

Enjoy the games, I hear they have freshly painted seats in the stands in tuam. ;D :( >:(
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Really looking forward to the Brigids-Tubber game. One of first really big inter-county club games of the season. Both will have designs on the All-Ireland, nevermind the Connacht title. Brigids and Tubber's county form has been stellar this year. Paddy Mulvihill has added an extra dimension to an already very good Brigids attack, he can play anywhere from midfield up and tracks back and wins a lot of dirty ball from his default position of FF.

COC is probably the best player in the country at winning soft frees (that's said both ruefully and admiringly) and he's automatic on them when he gets them. Discipline will be key for both sides, though, as Senan and Frankie are quality free-takers themselves.

Hopefully Brigids' wealth of experience at this level will tell when this game comes down to the final ten or fifteen minutes.

manfromdelmonte

Would anyone give the Willies a chance today in Carrick?

10/1 odds

Corofin to win by 4-6 points is 11/2

PadraicHenryPearse

Stranded in Galway after stag. Any chance any had two state seats that's heading to castlebar???