Career v Job

Started by illdecide, September 16, 2014, 09:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on September 17, 2014, 12:12:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2014, 11:46:57 AM
When do you make this choice illdecide? Hopefully he doesn't read the board!! If he doe's he'll make it for you lol

Lol...True enough.

My mother in law picks the kids up at 3 from primary school and minds them until 5:30 then she picks my wife up from her work and brings her and the two kids home. I worked in a Civil Engineering Consultancy before and liked it but the work dried up and found this job in Manufacturing which is not as interesting and very repetitive work but was better than no work.

Never easy, no mater who you listen too the choice is yours along with the wife. Everyone here will have different experiences of that work life balance.

Away from your trade I suppose but employers are (well in most companies now) open to the working from home element. I've had most Fridays at home since I started my last/current job and sitting at the kitchen table in your 'PJ's' working on the computer while stuffing a generous fry down your neck was nice and less stressful than traveling to Ards to do the same work in the office!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on September 17, 2014, 12:12:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2014, 11:46:57 AM
When do you make this choice illdecide? Hopefully he doesn't read the board!! If he doe's he'll make it for you lol

Lol...True enough.

My mother in law picks the kids up at 3 from primary school and minds them until 5:30 then she picks my wife up from her work and brings her and the two kids home. I worked in a Civil Engineering Consultancy before and liked it but the work dried up and found this job in Manufacturing which is not as interesting and very repetitive work but was better than no work.

Typical townie woman not getting a licence!!!

Only kidding,  I reckon that as the economy seems to be on a bit of a rise then other jobs will come up over the next few years,  I would give it till they are out of primary and then see what the options are.  The money won't follow you to the ground but the memories you have and your kids have are irreplaceable so I would cherish every single moment of them. My own father worked as a long distance lorry driver,  was gone 3 out of every 4 weeks, never at home, died at the age of 50. I am sure he would have loved to have it differently but it wasn't and that can never be changed.  Make the most of your time with your kids,  that can never be changed.

Tony Baloney

Depends what your weans are like. I come to work for a holiday and stay long enough to make sure the missus has them in bed before I get home  8)

No Soloing

I went the other way a few years back and quit my job altogether.

When our 1st son was born I was sent out on site usually from Monday - Friday, almost as soon as I got off paternity leave. I worked in Belfast but sites were in Dublin, Galway, Cork among others. I was basically the only person in the company who could do job X and rather train others to help I was used every time. I got completely sick of it and was totally missing my first kid as a baby. Mrs NS used to make videos of her and the baby during the week so show me when I got home on the Friday night.

By the time son #2 came along a couple of years later it had got even worse - I was told within an hour of returning from paternity what the plan for me was. At least this work was usually in NI so I did get home, but not until the baby was in bed. I had anticipated this would happen so Mrs NS & I had already discussed and as soon as her maternity leave was ending I handed in my notice. I havent looked back. We have had a daughter since who is just starting P1 so I am looking to start work again (though not looking to hard at the minute). The time I have been able to spend with my kids has been fantastic. Its a cliché that you dont get those years back - but it's true. 

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 17, 2014, 01:17:50 PM
Depends what your weans are like. I come to work for a holiday and stay long enough to make sure the missus has them in bed before I get home  8)
I've often waited down the road in the car for half an hour just to be sure they are in bed ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Under Lights

Quote from: laoislad on September 17, 2014, 02:07:42 PM
I've often waited down the road in the car for half an hour just to be sure they are in bed ;D

LOL and you're Mr Daddy on the Daddies Thread.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: laoislad on September 17, 2014, 02:07:42 PM

Scenario 1
Text message
Me 'Are the kids in bed yet?'
Her 'No'
Me 'I'll be another hour here, sorry'

Scenario 2
Me 'Are the kids in bed yet?'
Her 'yes'
Me 'See you soon, do you want a bottle of wine?'

Zip Code

Away lads I don't believe the half of it, I bet you can't wait to get home to the younguns.  ;D

Under Lights

Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 02:17:49 PM
Away lads I don't believe the half of it, I bet you can't wait to get home to the younguns.  ;D

Same. My daughter 19 months old and full of lolz at the minute.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Under Lights on September 17, 2014, 02:40:37 PM
Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 02:17:49 PM

Same. My daughter 19 months old and full of lolz at the minute.

Then they grow up and wind you up something shocking lol!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

illdecide

Well Guys i had my mind made up that i was going to take the job until coming out of Croke Park yesterday i got a call from the Director of the company telling me i was successful  and they're looking me to start, he then went on to tell me the starting salary which threw a spanner in the works as it was a lot lower than i was expecting. I told him this and there was a few seconds of silence on the phone...He said there was a bit of room for movement on it but it's def confused the situation for me having made my mind up prior to that...My head is fried today as he's calling back this evening for an answer :-\ :-\

Do i just put it to him straight up what i need to move or how should i approach it? (hope he's not on the Board either...lol)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Zip Code

Bollocks that pay rises are hard to come by in any company if you need 40k for example to move tell him, if your not getting it he will say so - if you go in on 35k - you could be 5 years to get to 40k.

BenDover

Quote from: illdecide on September 22, 2014, 09:45:27 AM
Well Guys i had my mind made up that i was going to take the job until coming out of Croke Park yesterday i got a call from the Director of the company telling me i was successful  and they're looking me to start, he then went on to tell me the starting salary which threw a spanner in the works as it was a lot lower than i was expecting. I told him this and there was a few seconds of silence on the phone...He said there was a bit of room for movement on it but it's def confused the situation for me having made my mind up prior to that...My head is fried today as he's calling back this evening for an answer :-\ :-\

Do i just put it to him straight up what i need to move or how should i approach it? (hope he's not on the Board either...lol)

If you don't ask you won't get, ask for confirmation on final salary before confirming to move. At the end of the day you don't need to move right now so you've nothing to lose by asking them to meet your expectations.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BenDover on September 22, 2014, 11:47:11 AM
Quote from: illdecide on September 22, 2014, 09:45:27 AM

If you don't ask you won't get, ask for confirmation on final salary before confirming to move. At the end of the day you don't need to move right now so you've nothing to lose by asking them to meet your expectations.
Just be straight with him. Are there any other benefits that might make up the shortfall of cash in hand i.e. better holidays, flexi-time etc? Work it all out and tell him what is the minimum you will accept. As Zip Code rightly says if you go in low and even with an inflation busting annual increment it could still be years before you make up the difference in your current expectation and what they are prepared to fork out. It will also really test whether you want to make the move or not!

illdecide

Yes, there are a few additional benefits. It offers private health care for me and the family and i can take my holidays to suit me whereas i have to take them when I'm told here and i believe there are few extra days Holidays in the new post too
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch