Career v Job

Started by illdecide, September 16, 2014, 09:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muck Savage

Quote from: illdecide on September 22, 2014, 04:10:14 PM
Yes, there are a few additional benefits. It offers private health care for me and the family and i can take my holidays to suit me whereas i have to take them when I'm told here and i believe there are few extra days Holidays in the new post too

Tell him straight out what you need, if he does't give the money forget it. A case of Show me the money. Most of these guys start low and have 10-15% wiggle room.

Hardy

Does the new job involve decision making?

pullhard

Quote from: Hardy on September 23, 2014, 10:26:27 AM
Does the new job involve decision making?

Prehaps illdecide should rename name himself ;)

Ulick

Got a "let's talk" phone call this morning after knocking back a job offer last Friday.  :D

quit yo jibbajabba

This is worse than the last episode of Friends................"DID SHE GET OFF THE PLAAAAANE"  ;D

Rois

Quote from: Ulick on September 23, 2014, 11:17:53 AM
Got a "let's talk" phone call this morning after knocking back a job offer last Friday.  :D
Has it changed your mind?

Ulick

Quote from: Rois on September 23, 2014, 11:40:57 AM

Not yet but it's nice to be wanted.
They've pretty much said to scrap their initial offer, put my terms to them and negotiate. Wasn't so much the salary which was disappointing but the rest of the package: no paid sick leave (is this common in the south?), only 19 days holiday (5 of which had to be taken over Christmas), 6 months probation, nothing in writing about ability to work remotely.     

imtommygunn

6 months probation is pretty much standard.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ulick on September 23, 2014, 12:02:36 PM

They've pretty much said to scrap their initial offer, put my terms to them and negotiate. Wasn't so much the salary which was disappointing but the rest of the package: no paid sick leave (is this common in the south?), only 19 days holiday (5 of which had to be taken over Christmas), 6 months probation, nothing in writing about ability to work remotely.   

That sounds slack enough Ulick. Whatever about salary, you should be paid sick leave up to a certain amount per year. Then if you are out long term, you usually have insurance to cover salary. But you certainly shouldn't be unpaid if you are out sick a day! Also 19 days seems harsh. We get 23. I understand the Christmas shutdown thing, we used to have that as well, but it was only 3 days, and hence we got 23 days holidays instead of 20. When the restriction was lifted about Christmas, we kept the 3 days as normal holidays.

6 months probation is common, and hang tough for remote working. If they don't want to allow that, you'll end up in a shit situation if you are relying on it to help with lifestyle etc.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Ulick on September 23, 2014, 12:02:36 PM

No sick pay is common enough.(except in the very well paid and the public sectors) The 19 days holidays is odd. Working Time Act says 4 week holidays providing employee works at least 1365 hours P/A  or 8 % of the hours worked up to a max of 4 working weeks.

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Bingo

What gerrykeegan said (came in to post that but he got their first).

In ROI, sick pay, paternity pay aren't covered under legislation.

AZOffaly

Sick Pay lads? I've never heard of someone having to be unpaid if they are out with the flu or something.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2014, 12:29:21 PM
Sick Pay lads? I've never heard of someone having to be unpaid if they are out with the flu or something.

Do you not remember this?

Statutory sick pay would damage jobs and growth according to an employers group.

The government is keen to put the responsibility for sick pay back on employers which is something that could save the Department of Social Protection €90 million

But employers group IBEC is warning such a move will affect companies" bottom lines making Ireland a difficult place to do business.
Government priorities

Brendan McGinty is the Director of HR Services with IBEC.

He says they have asked business people themselves to quantify the possible losses.

"Employers - when they evaluate the potential effects of a statutory sick pay scheme, are telling us that 42% are saying it would affect heir sustainability - but about half are stating that such a move would affect their ability to recruit new staff; and about 47% saying it would affect their ability to retain existing staff" he said.

Mr. McGinty is also questioning the priorities of government.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

imtommygunn

No sick or paternity pay... Gees - all pretty standard up north.

Yeah there should be EU directives to get more than 19 days holiday though stat days count in that too so they may have covered themselves there.

Remote working is usually discretionary.

AZOffaly

I'll take yer word for it lads, ye obviously know better than I. However I've never had a job that didn't pay me if I got sick for a few days, there was usually a limit in the year. Thankfully I have rarely missed a day sick, but if I did I would not want to be unpaid. I know some public servants use their sick days almost as extra holiday entitlements, but that doesn't happen anywhere I've worked in the private sector.

Also, there's been paternity leave (usually 3 days) in the benefits in all my jobs. (I've only actually moved myself once, but I'm working for my 5th different company at this stage due to mergers and takeovers).

So, if there's nothing in law about paternity leave and sick pay, there are certainly competitive benefit packages out there which include both, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to question that in my view.