Career v Job

Started by illdecide, September 16, 2014, 09:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zip Code

Yip made me work hard to get what I want.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 10:22:51 AM

Course, well done, the hardest worker on the board. But you are being silly to suggest giving your kids a helping hand is wrong
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2014, 10:27:15 AM

Course, well done, the hardest worker on the board. But you are being silly to suggest giving your kids a helping hand is wrong

Not wrong MR2 but I remember lads at uni who didnt have a loan and instead got Mum/Dads handout every week which was double what the rest of us had. Needless to say they didnt use it wisely. All depends on the individual and how they manage their money though.

Zip Code

Of course I will help my kids, I never said helping out your kids is wrong - you can quote where you think I said that. 

thebigfella

Take the job and tell your wife to walk the kids to school as it's only half a mile.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 17, 2014, 10:30:46 AM

Not wrong MR2 but I remember lads at uni who didnt have a loan and instead got Mum/Dads handout every week which was double what the rest of us had. Needless to say they didnt use it wisely. All depends on the individual and how they manage their money though.

All depends how you bring them up surely? I never had a washer and going to college was never going to happen. Left school and worked (continuing to) hard all my days, so the value of hard work (while my friend students at the time did feck all ;) ) isn't lost on me or my kids. But if (big fecking if) I have the chance to give them a helping hand then so be it.

Zip you said your kids will be buying their own car wedding and college fees, fair fcuks to you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Zip Code

Yip, I will provide for them, help them with their studies, ensure as far as possible they want for nothing as they grow up.  In that way they should be fully capable of buying their first car and paying for their own wedding - I don't know one single person who didn't pay for their own wedding - but if you are that loaded fair play to you.

Ethan Tremblay

Interesting conversation, happened across an article on the guardian website during the week,

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

Number 2 regret was working too hard and missing children's formative years. 

Although only a half mile walk, its something you will not do again when they head off to secondary school!
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 10:55:40 AM
Yip, I will provide for them, help them with their studies, ensure as far as possible they want for nothing as they grow up.  In that way they should be fully capable of buying their first car and paying for their own wedding - I don't know one single person who didn't pay for their own wedding - but if you are that loaded fair play to you.

I didn't pay for my wedding, I was lucky enough in that her parents (very traditional and smart with the money they worked hard for) paid for it all, I'm probably a little older than you so it wasn't strange for the daughters parents to pay for weddings, different now but I'll be putting money aside for it just in case. As for being loaded nope certainly not. Two good enough wages but lie everyone else mortgages and credit cards bills leaves us with not much to save.

But you are missing my point, If I do have the money to do it then I will give them that helping hand. I've had to pay for everything I wanted in my working life (bar the wedding), my kids will tell you themselves they are bored of me telling them about hard work!!

Zip Code

As would any parent including myself, your initial post indicated it was a given you will be paying, so apologies for the crossed wires. On the issue off paying for your wedding, had my wife's parent offered I would have flatly refused but then everyone is different.  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 11:16:51 AM
As would any parent including myself, your initial post indicated it was a given you will be paying, so apologies for the crossed wires. On the issue off paying for your wedding, had my wife's parent offered I would have flatly refused but then everyone is different.  ;)

I did, but I'd no say in the matter, I did pay for the rent of the suits  :P

Zip Code

In laws like that would have made me run for the hills.  ;)

Milltown Row2

When do you make this choice illdecide? Hopefully he doesn't read the board!! If he doe's he'll make it for you lol

Rudi

Would be in a similar position as yourself Illdecide. Pay is well below average for the position I am in, not to mention working with the same gobda's for far to long. It has a negative impact on mental health. Have talked to a large number of people about moving. All of them reckon I should stay (as I have 2 young kids) and develop a a way of coping with the negative impact of work. Have to agree family first and work a distant second. Developing that coping mechanism is a challenge I am beginning to relish. Post by Zip Code is a good one.

illdecide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2014, 11:46:57 AM
When do you make this choice illdecide? Hopefully he doesn't read the board!! If he doe's he'll make it for you lol

Lol...True enough.

My mother in law picks the kids up at 3 from primary school and minds them until 5:30 then she picks my wife up from her work and brings her and the two kids home. I worked in a Civil Engineering Consultancy before and liked it but the work dried up and found this job in Manufacturing which is not as interesting and very repetitive work but was better than no work.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch