Career v Job

Started by illdecide, September 16, 2014, 09:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on September 16, 2014, 10:47:31 PM
I live a half a mile from the school...forgot to mention that.

Feck!!! What is the world coming tooo!!!!! Let them walk lazy feckers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

illdecide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 16, 2014, 10:53:33 PM

Would you let  a 9 & 6 year old walk by themselves to school along a main busy road?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The Iceman

I'll stand by my original questions: What is your ultimate goal for you and your family? Will this new job help you get there?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on September 16, 2014, 10:56:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 16, 2014, 10:53:33 PM

Would you let  a 9 & 6 year old walk by themselves to school along a main busy road?

When I was that age I walked to school every morning (with my two younger sisters) down the Falls road during the troubles, why are we so hung up on this? Yes my girls get dropped off as the neighbour works in the school. But on Fridays (my day to get the youngest, whos' 10) she walks home. Mental how attitudes change. Did you walk to school?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Zip Code

Quote from: illdecide on September 16, 2014, 09:03:05 PM
Okay so you have a job that's close to home and it allows you to drop the kids off to school in the mornings and still be in work for 9, it pays okay but is damn hard work but I like it like that as the day flies in. The job is nothing you'd blow about to a chick if you were chatting her up at the Bar but a steady job is not easily gotten these days. Now an opportunity may have appeared for me to get back to the work I used to do (proper career) but its not much more than I'm currently getting but I will have to travel to the city for it as well as the additional cost of the travelling, I'll also be unavailable to bring my two kids to school in the mornings which my wife has not got a licence to drive.

What would you do in my situation if I was offered the new post?

illdecide - in 2011 I was in a very similar position to you - bit the bullet and took the job, 2012 was the worse year of my life, the job ceased to matter as the stress and worry about the kids and wife far outweighed any career progression, salary rise.  The kids were going to the breakfast club at 8 and staying in the after school club until 6, it broke my heart, my youngest was 2 she was in nusery from 8 to 6 and days I left without seeing her and came home, after 7 on occasions and she was in bed. Thankfully I got a new job in 2013 which allowed me to be closer to home, I wouldn't change now until they were all at the big school.

You have 900 weeks until your child is 18, I wasted 68 of them on the M1!

Under Lights

Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 07:25:19 AM
Quote from: illdecide on September 16, 2014, 09:03:05 PM
Okay so you have a job that's close to home and it allows you to drop the kids off to school in the mornings and still be in work for 9, it pays okay but is damn hard work but I like it like that as the day flies in. The job is nothing you'd blow about to a chick if you were chatting her up at the Bar but a steady job is not easily gotten these days. Now an opportunity may have appeared for me to get back to the work I used to do (proper career) but its not much more than I'm currently getting but I will have to travel to the city for it as well as the additional cost of the travelling, I'll also be unavailable to bring my two kids to school in the mornings which my wife has not got a licence to drive.

What would you do in my situation if I was offered the new post?

illdecide - in 2011 I was in a very similar position to you - bit the bullet and took the job, 2012 was the worse year of my life, the job ceased to matter as the stress and worry about the kids and wife far outweighed any career progression, salary rise.  The kids were going to the breakfast club at 8 and staying in the after school club until 6, it broke my heart, my youngest was 2 she was in nusery from 8 to 6 and days I left without seeing her and came home, after 7 on occasions and she was in bed. Thankfully I got a new job in 2013 which allowed me to be closer to home, I wouldn't change now until they were all at the big school.

You have 900 weeks until your child is 18, I wasted 68 of them on the M1!

Fantastic post Zip.

God14

I honestly think you should stay put.

haranguerer

Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up. Good luck in the new job!

DennistheMenace

Stay in your current job and keep an eye out for opportunities around home. The kids make all the difference and with the economy seemingly on the way up it should be a trigger for more jobs in the horizon. Big decision regardless.

orangeman

Quote from: illdecide on September 16, 2014, 10:34:11 PM
I forgot to add the guy I work for is a miserable hoor and appreciates no one. I'm not even allowed to take a call on my mobile or get out for a message (school play etc). I have to take my holidays when he decides or when he takes his and I don't think I've had a 30 min lunch uninterrupted since I started there.

The other post is in Belfast and I'd be home for 6 every evening, the only difference is I just wouldn't be available to bring the kids to school in the mornings. They're 9 and 6.

Tell him you're leaving cos he's a miserable hoor and that you don't enjoy working there anymore, that although you appreciate the work the conditions are appalling and that you're moving on principally cos whilst the job is fine, every other aspect of the job is not but that if there a change you might stay.

Try that. If he tones down, you'll be £ up and better conditions. If he's not happy move on.

Life's too short to be trying to please grumpy old men like that.

Bingo

The kids won't be 9 and 6 forever. In no time, they'll be well fit to go to school on their own.

If this is the only factor, its a no brainer to me and one that can be overcome.

Milltown Row2

I've different conditions to yourself as in my kids will soon be 14 and 11. They are only looking you to give them money and drive them places and then sit in the other room on the phone all day !!! ah the life of a teenager lol.

But I've always taken a chance with a job, I suppose I've been lucky in that my industry has been very busy and there is a lot of jobs in that sector, so if my new job goes tits up I'll be not too hard pushed in getting back to same job

Whatever you do look at it long term, will I be making more money down the line to pay for college fees, able to buy them their first car, their weddings and the ability for a nest egg for when you retire. The kids will still love you regardless you'll make even more time for them at the weekend

Anyway good luck, and not bad to be in a position that you have the choice of work

Zip Code

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2014, 10:06:29 AM
I've different conditions to yourself as in my kids will soon be 14 and 11. They are only looking you to give them money and drive them places and then sit in the other room on the phone all day !!! ah the life of a teenager lol.

But I've always taken a chance with a job, I suppose I've been lucky in that my industry has been very busy and there is a lot of jobs in that sector, so if my new job goes tits up I'll be not too hard pushed in getting back to same job

Whatever you do look at it long term, will I be making more money down the line to pay for college fees, able to buy them their first car, their weddings and the ability for a nest egg for when you retire. The kids will still love you regardless you'll make even more time for them at the weekend

Anyway good luck, and not bad to be in a position that you have the choice of work

Sweet Jesus, are you for real, like myself my kids will be buying their own first car, paying for their own wedding and taking out the loans for the college fees!!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 10:08:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2014, 10:06:29 AM

Sweet Jesus, are you for real, like myself my kids will be buying their own first car, paying for their own wedding and taking out the loans for the college fees!!!

Why wouldn't I? If I have it they'll get it. I've never had that luxury but would love to give them that. It may not be the case but I'm willing to put myself into a position that if they need that something extra then yeah.

And well done you on the car wedding and college fees. I'm sure its made you a wonderful person