Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 22, 2014, 06:51:00 PM
If you don't believe in an afterlife,and the two distinctly opposite potential destinations,why would you fear it?

Also there is nothing wrong with a faith motivated by a healthy fear,as it is the prime motivator in this life.

Is fear the explanation for your blind loyalty to Sean Brady?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

No,neither is it the prime factor in my belief.

Myles Na G.

If you don't believe in an afterlife,and the two distinctly opposite potential destinations,why would you fear it?

Also there is nothing wrong with a faith motivated by a healthy fear,as it is the prime motivator in this life.
If 'love' of God is motivated by fear, is that love worth anything? If a woman says she loves her husband only because she knows he'll physically harm her if she doesn't, what sort of love is that?

The Iceman

Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 22, 2014, 07:42:37 PM

If 'love' of God is motivated by fear, is that love worth anything? If a woman says she loves her husband only because she knows he'll physically harm her if she doesn't, what sort of love is that?
We're talking about semantics here I think?
A husband loves his wife so much he makes sure to treat her like a queen. A husband is afraid of hurting his wife so he always treats her like a queen.

Everything we do is done on the scale of fear or love. In some shape or form it boils down to either.

Pre-vatican II Catholicism was all about hell fire and brimstone. Post Vatican II Catholicism is more about love.
But there is room for both.

I love God and want to spend eternity in that love so I live my life in accordance.
(I love God and) I'm afraid to do anything that would seperate me from that eternity.

I think Tony leaves the love part out but it doesn't mean it isn't there?

Either God exists or He doesn't.

If He does then a lot of us are in trouble.
If He doesn't then none of this matters. We're all just worm food?

My belief isn't based on hedging my bets.
You're free to choose your own too.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ONeill

Strip everything away...it is.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: The Iceman on September 22, 2014, 08:18:42 PM

A husband loves his wife so much he makes sure to treat her like a queen. A husband is afraid of hurting his wife so he always treats her like a queen.

Everything we do is done on the scale of fear or love. In some shape or form it boils down to either.

Pre-vatican II Catholicism was all about hell fire and brimstone. Post Vatican II Catholicism is more about love.

I love God and want to spend eternity in that love so I live my life in accordance.
(I love God and) I'm afraid to do anything that would seperate me from that eternity.

With respect, I don't think it is semantics. Love is only love, imo, if it is freely given, without any hint of threat or duress. The God of the major religions demands that we love him and threatens to torment for all eternity those who refuse. You yourself say in your post that if God exists 'then a lot of us are in trouble'. Your God is a colossal, cosmic bully, one who trades on threat and intimidation.

ONeill

...and he's a tout too and we know what happens touts around these parts.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Best comparison is the relationship between an earthly father and son.There is a natural love there but punishment if the son does wrong,and the love grows as the years go by.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 22, 2014, 08:45:20 PM
Best comparison is the relationship between an earthly father and son.There is a natural love there but punishment if the son does wrong,and the love grows as the years go by.

What sort of parent sends his son to hell for all eternity?
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 22, 2014, 08:41:57 PM

With respect, I don't think it is semantics. Love is only love, imo, if it is freely given, without any hint of threat or duress. The God of the major religions demands that we love him and threatens to torment for all eternity those who refuse. You yourself say in your post that if God exists 'then a lot of us are in trouble'. Your God is a colossal, cosmic bully, one who trades on threat and intimidation.

I say I'm in trouble because I'm under no illusion that I lead the perfect life.
The church teaches God created everything. And we messed it up. And continued to mess it up until He made one last covenant with the blood and Death and Resurrection of His Son. He gave us the opportunity to again be with Him for all eternity. But let it be our choice.
If you end up in hell you can't blame God for being harsh. That's like the teenager complaining in their rooms for being grounded for smoking weed....

God doesn't want your fear - just your love. Your life will be a reflection of that Love. And the world would be a better place and eternity in Heaven is the promise.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Myles Na G.

Quote from: The Iceman on September 22, 2014, 08:59:12 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 22, 2014, 08:41:57 PM

I say I'm in trouble because I'm under no illusion that I lead the perfect life.
The church teaches God created everything. And we messed it up. And continued to mess it up until He made one last covenant with the blood and Death and Resurrection of His Son. He gave us the opportunity to again be with Him for all eternity. But let it be our choice.
If you end up in hell you can't blame God for being harsh. That's like the teenager complaining in their rooms for being grounded for smoking weed....

God doesn't want your fear - just your love. Your life will be a reflection of that Love. And the world would be a better place and eternity in Heaven is the promise.
We messed up? Surely if God created us, he's the one who messed up, since he created something capable of sin? What's more, even as he was in the act of creating us, he must've known that he was creating a sinful creature, since he's omniscient. And if he knew that he was creating a sinful creature, he also knew that he was creating many of us to burn in eternal hell fire, no? And if he knew that, why did he continue? Why create mankind when he must've known that many of his 'children' would end up in hell?

theskull1

Remember IM... its men who have taught you this.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

Exactly.Do I detect that the non believers while trying all they know to ridicule any belief in God have just this tiny little bit of a nagging doubt at the back of their minds,that little voice that won't go away that keeps saying "What if I'm wrong?"

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 22, 2014, 09:12:52 PM
Exactly.Do I detect that the non believers while trying all they know to ridicule any belief in God have just this tiny little bit of a nagging doubt at the back of their minds,that little voice that won't go away that keeps saying "What if I'm wrong?"

Who are you talking to?

You are defending the Catholic Church specifically Tony, not belief in God.
MWWSI 2017

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2014, 07:06:48 AM
the immaculate conception is as credible as the resurrection,and I believe in both.
So you don't believe that Jesus Christ fulfils the prophecy of coming from the House of David?

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2014, 12:14:34 PM
I happen to believe a man died on the cross and Rose again 3 days later (if this was a fairytale it has been perpetuated for a hell of a long time), that is reason enough for me to believe.

Do you belive in Adam & Eve (this is a genuine & serious question)?