Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

T Fearon

I'm not trivialising just putting into perspective.Ironically the reason why the anti Catholics on this thread can read and write is attributable to their catholic education.

imtommygunn

Ironically again you seem to struggle to read or interpret a lot of what's written.

ONeill

Quote from: T Fearon on September 19, 2014, 11:17:27 PM
I'm not trivialising just putting into perspective.Ironically the reason why the anti Catholics on this thread can read and write is attributable to their catholic education.

Why do you believe in the Immaculate Conception?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on September 19, 2014, 10:15:50 PM
Iceman,I commend your post,but I have never condoned the irrefutable wrongdoings of the Church (though  you'll not find any acknowledgement here of the good things the church has done in health,education,social cohesion and morality etc,which far outweighs the harm caused by a relatively few number of perverts masquerading as clergymen).

I quite simply object to the utter demonisation of Sean Brady (who never abused anyone ) for his involvement at a relatively junior level in an investigation 40 years ago.

Also I think it's unfair to rake over events of 50 or 60 years ago,when the emphasis of the Church was penance and atonement fir sins.Life was a lot tougher in terms of punishment across the board in those days,as a young lad In primary school I was regularly on the receiving end of a cane whack across the fingers,imagine the outcry if that was happening nowadays.
Come off it Tony, if the feckers you are defending had only half of Iceman's integrity, the Irish Catholic Church wouldn't  be in so much trouble today.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

T Fearon

Lar Naparka exactly what is the issue with the modern Catholic Church in Ireland? Like every other organisation it has evolved and civilised.On here we have people going back in time  ( when attitudes were different and the church emphasis was more on the purging of sin rather than compassion) to find things to hammer the church with.Back in the day Governments still had the death penalty but thankfully like the church,most have modernised.

Shane the immaculate conception is as credible as the resurrection,and I believe in both.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: T Fearon on September 19, 2014, 12:13:51 AM
I believe life without faith is meaningless,and would be gutted to think that after our last breath there is nothing.Naturally therefore I want my eternal existence to be pleasant
Therein lies the root of religion. People find it hard to accept that this life is all we may have, therefore they have to invent a belief system that promises pie in the sky when we die. God didn't create man in his image, quite the reverse. Man created God in his. Think about it: if the God of most of the major religions exists, he is responsible for creating and sustaining the cosmos and all life in it. He is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent (if that's a word), so far beyond our understanding that the gap between us and him is greater than between us and a single cell amoeba. Yet man has reduced him to a kind of headmaster figure, one who waits in the sky to punish those who commit such heinous crimes as refusing to believe in him or worship him at church on sundays. The Lord of the universe has become an uptight, spiteful wee man who sometimes answers prayers, sometimes doesn't, depending on the mood he's in. He has become the sort of indecisive wee man whose will can be changed if only we can get enough of the faithful to pray  or enough masses said. We have made him the kind of tyrant who punishes trangressors for all eternity, despite the fact that he must've known when he was creating us that he was setting us up to fail. He punishes us for all eternity for committing 'sin', even though sin is something that he himself has created. Sin didn't exist before God created life, remember, so if God created life he created sin too. And he must've known that sin would result from his creation, because he's omniscient. Yet he still blames us for his creation and punishes us for ever and ever and ever. Nice. Which is why I believe such a God doesn't exist, that he has been created by man in his own image.

T Fearon

No one said religious beliefs are logical or even totally comprehensible,but the disbelieving are far too quick to dismiss religion and God on the basis of it being illogical or unscientific.

I happen to believe a man died on the cross and Rose again 3 days later (if this was a fairytale it has been perpetuated for a hell of a long time), that is reason enough for me to believe.

muppet

If ever there was a justification for religion, it is this:

Imagine a Tony without the fear of God?
MWWSI 2017

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Myles Na G. on September 20, 2014, 09:27:34 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 19, 2014, 12:13:51 AM
I believe life without faith is meaningless,and would be gutted to think that after our last breath there is nothing.Naturally therefore I want my eternal existence to be pleasant
Therein lies the root of religion. People find it hard to accept that this life is all we may have, therefore they have to invent a belief system that promises pie in the sky when we die. God didn't create man in his image, quite the reverse. Man created God in his. Think about it: if the God of most of the major religions exists, he is responsible for creating and sustaining the cosmos and all life in it. He is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent (if that's a word), so far beyond our understanding that the gap between us and him is greater than between us and a single cell amoeba. Yet man has reduced him to a kind of headmaster figure, one who waits in the sky to punish those who commit such heinous crimes as refusing to believe in him or worship him at church on sundays. The Lord of the universe has become an uptight, spiteful wee man who sometimes answers prayers, sometimes doesn't, depending on the mood he's in. He has become the sort of indecisive wee man whose will can be changed if only we can get enough of the faithful to pray  or enough masses said. We have made him the kind of tyrant who punishes trangressors for all eternity, despite the fact that he must've known when he was creating us that he was setting us up to fail. He punishes us for all eternity for committing 'sin', even though sin is something that he himself has created. Sin didn't exist before God created life, remember, so if God created life he created sin too. And he must've known that sin would result from his creation, because he's omniscient. Yet he still blames us for his creation and punishes us for ever and ever and ever. Nice. Which is why I believe such a God doesn't exist, that he has been created by man in his own image.

Nice passage Myles. Staying off the topic of the thread, I remember doing philosophy of religion for a-level. As a result most of the class started to doubt the existence of 'God'. It was a Christian brothers school and as you can imagine this went down Like a lead balloon. The teacher was quickly asked to explain himself, who admitted he just wanted his pupils to think for themselves.

T Fearon

It all boils down to this.Do you believe Jesus existed,was crucified, and then rose from the dead? If you do that is surely irrefutable proof of the existence of  God, if you don't then you need to ask yourself why this myth has been perpetuated for so long effectively conning billions of people for over two thousand years.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 21, 2014, 12:03:21 PM
It all boils down to this.Do you believe Jesus existed,was crucified, and then rose from the dead? If you do that is surely irrefutable proof of the existence of  God, if you don't then you need to ask yourself why this myth has been perpetuated for so long effectively conning billions of people for over two thousand years.

If one believes that (as they are perfectly entitled to do - and there is certainly very strong evidence for the first two claims)................how does that make it 'irrefutable proof of the existence of  God'?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Well rising from the dead surely proves there is a divine power

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 21, 2014, 12:14:26 PM
Well rising from the dead surely proves there is a divine power

Hardly. It is simply one of the possibilities.

But your point was that 'believing' Jesus rose from the dead is 'irrefutable proof'.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2014, 12:09:57 PM

If one believes that (as they are perfectly entitled to do - and there is certainly very strong evidence for the first two claims)................how does that make it 'irrefutable proof of the existence of  God'?

Evidence? Even strong evidence?

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on September 21, 2014, 12:34:57 PM

Evidence? Even strong evidence?

That Jesus existed and was crucified?

There are many accounts from different sources that he both existed and that he was crucified.

MWWSI 2017