Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: No1 on January 21, 2007, 09:20:17 AM
Rosie/Ciaran Sloan are one and the same.

Jimmy O'Reilly is taking Kilclief hurlers this year.

I'm hearing Finty lived up to his reputation against Laois on sunday and got a boot up the hole from his immediate opponent who he took a swipe at. I think the ref ignored it as the game was as good as over anyway.

The general feeling is that the players just aren't there to compete in Div 1 this year especially with Dule and Magic missing.

Andy Savage really needs a partner in midfield as Ciaran Coulter is not even related to a midfielder at this level. The obvious choice is Darren Flynn but he's too similar in style to Andy and that's not good, plus he runs too much with the ball and doesn't let it into the forwards quick enough.

I'd stick with Courtney as he's young enough to learn, my only concern is that the guys along the line haven't a good reputation for one on one coaching and he may be left to learn the hard way. Big Aaron the bollocks never bothered his hole to turn up and to be perfectly honest he needs to be told to buck up or piss off. He was made sit on the bench for Ballygalget a few times last year for his poor attitude and it seemed to work as he was one of our better players later in the year.

I've always had a concern about Gerard Coulters management style. He's old school, go out and play, no real game plan or tactics and it seemed to be that case on sunday. Playing against a gale in the first half, it's common enough to drop a forward in behind the half backs to cover in front of the fullback line and bring your half forwards down the field and leave two flyers up front. This needs to be worked on in training and although its early yet he and his associates don't seem to be sorting those things out. I hope I'm wrong as I'm not expecting this team to set the world alight but you need to see and improvement and the team gelling if we are going to do anything in the Christy Ring in the summer.

Bacon

I see Ciaran Sloan started in the corner. How did he do JC? Is Magic out long term? I thought he missed the match because of a skiing holiday. I'd also heard before christmas that courtney was injured and would be out for months. Good to see that wasn't true. Div 1 hurling will do our lads little good this year. Laois, Antrim and Dublin are taking things seriously and they are the sort of counties that we need to keep up with.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

johnneycool

Quote from: Bacon on January 23, 2007, 01:49:15 PM
I see Ciaran Sloan started in the corner. How did he do JC? Is Magic out long term? I thought he missed the match because of a skiing holiday. I'd also heard before christmas that courtney was injured and would be out for months. Good to see that wasn't true. Div 1 hurling will do our lads little good this year. Laois, Antrim and Dublin are taking things seriously and they are the sort of counties that we need to keep up with.

Ciaran Sloan started in full forward and I'm sure he wasn't exactly snowed under with the amount of ball coming his way. From what I hear he was OK but as it was his first game at that level I wouldn't be too concerned. It's a big step up for anyone playing senior hurling let alone Div1 in Down. Once again god knows what kind of direction or guidance he got from the management.
It's good to see Dingy back and 1-4 from play isn't bad for his first game in 6 months. He'll need to weigh in with scores against the better defenders in the NHL for Down to put up any kind of showing

Magic was off skiing but he'll be no use to man nor beast until Ross decides whether he's going to cut it at the football and from all accounts he had a mare against UUJ so it's very likely he'll be giving the hurlers his undivided attention shortly.

Guillem2

http://www.downgaa.net/downgaa/general/news/2007/jan/jan22nd1.htm
Here's a link to a report on the Down website on the Walsh cup match against Laois. Who to f*** is Michael Coulter? Is he Martin Coulter's wee brother? Don't tell me the Down Official website doesn't know the names of their own county hurlers.
They really are going to the dogs!
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

johnneycool

Quote from: Guillem2 on January 26, 2007, 09:23:58 AM
http://www.downgaa.net/downgaa/general/news/2007/jan/jan22nd1.htm
Here's a link to a report on the Down website on the Walsh cup match against Laois. Who to f*** is Michael Coulter? Is he Martin Coulter's wee brother? Don't tell me the Down Official website doesn't know the names of their own county hurlers.
They really are going to the dogs!

Michael Coulter is Dingy AKA Martin Coulter Jnr. That report must of been lifted out of somewhere else, possibly hoganstand.com. I must say I'm surprised to see a report on the game at all on the web site as it's not renowned for its hurling coverage. The hurling PRO used to be Matt Fitzpatrick but I'm not sure if he's still involved. Matt was well known for getting names wrong.

Lecale2

"Matt was well known for getting names wrong."

Matt's reports are legendary! Last year he had Eoghan Sheehan coming on as a sub for Down Juniors in the SHC. Eoghan retired 15 years ago!

Johnnie99

Maybe so, but he'll always thank you for the cups of tea he gets at half time at games!!!

Why is it every week he has to comment on this, could he not just bring a flask??!!

Whitehair

Anythings possible with the  down juniors, i went to watch a championship match a few yrs ago as a hungover 16/17yr old, about 5min before throw in i was approached sayin they only had 14 players and wud i do corner back and mark Dingy, i declined the corner back role and played corner forward, brian canavan and paddy hardy and to come on when a few lads got injured, hardly in their prime!

Pangurban

Johnie99 is spot on, Matts obsession with the Tea and Sandwiches is getting past a joke. Time he copped himself on

Square Ball

Quote from: johnneycool on January 05, 2007, 02:15:09 PM
Quote from: Bacon on January 04, 2007, 05:08:53 PM
County Board are looking for high caliber coaches to look after the new hurling development squads that are starting in March. If any of the hurling posters know anybody who may be interested could you let them know to pass their names to Sean Og through the club secretary. The commitment will be something like 8 Saturday mornings through the season with a possible weekend away as well so it can be fitted in along side other commitments.

sometimes the tail does need to hit the dog up the bollocks to get things started  ;)

I konw there was a bit push to get as many of our senior players to take the level 1 coaching course with the child protection element to follow shortly. A good few took it up and it was made abundantly clear all over the weekend of the course that there would be roles for everyone in and outside the club in the coming year.
Hopefully some take up the challenge to address the major deficiences we have in our juvenlie set up.

has there been any further development with this? has there been as uptake for the coaching course, hope it doesn't die a death as there seems to be a will at the moment to make it work and they shouldn't loose the momentum
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DownFanatic

Down U-21 B Final

Naomh Seosamh (Ballykinlar, Dundrum, Aughlisnafin) 0-10  An Riocht 2-06

Im fcukin gutted. It was the one that got away. Anyway it bodes well for the future.

Cloc Mor

Think Down were playing Meath again today.  Anyword how it went?

greygoose

Does anyone know when fixtures for football leagues will be released for forthcoming year.

Also when the championship draws will be made for 2007.

thewobbler

The Down panel was being cut to 32 last night for the National League. Has anyone heard who is in or out?

Brick Tamlin

for what its worth heres who i think will be the 32 man squad for National League.

1) Mickey Mcveigh.
2) John Clarke.
3) Brendan Grant.
4) Adrian Scullion.
5) Martin Cole.
6) Paul Murphy.
8) Alan Molloy.
9) Damian Rafferty.
10) Daniel Mc Cartan.
11) Dan Gordon.
12) Benny Coulter
13) Ambrose Rodgers.
14) Michael Walsh
15) Ronan Sexton.
16) Daniel Hughes.
17) Ronan Murtagh.
18) Eoin Mc Cartan.
19) Conor Laverty.

20) Bernard Connell.
21) Barry Doran.
22) Jackie Lynch.
23) Aiden Carr.
24) Colm Murtagh.
25) James Mc Govern.
26) Kevin mc Guigan.
27) Mark Poland.
28) Eoin Henry.
29) Conor Gribben.
30) Brendan Loughran.
31) Darren Cunningham.
32) Fintan Mc Greevy.

Unlucky
- Peter Turley Saval
- Martin Mc Clean
- Joe Doran
- Paul Shields
- Stephen Toner

im bound to be leaving somone "established" out of that list....but off the top of me head thats what i think will roughly make up the bulk of the panel.

anyone else care to guess.?