Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

i could see Doyle being out for a good while thats why ive left him out. As for Ambrose id say he could be a bit longer recovering  than Dee Rafferty. So say for talk sake, Ambrose Out and maybe Peter Turley in.

Bearly on loose

Well you only named 31 there brick by my reckoning, no number 7?  maybe that was left vacant for the aforementioned Doyle, or maybe even Doran as suggested by 5times?
Anyway the panel is to be named i Hilltown tonight and not last night by all accounts.

There are some names on Brick's list that i wouldn't pick, but you never know.

Also Scullion is unlikely to be on it, has he not decided he hasn't the time no commit to the county this year?

Brick Tamlin

scullion is a shoe-in, figured in full back lin against Meath at weekend.
As for that Gap in defence or the 7th on the list, add in Paul Shields maybe (Although injured).
Tell me who ye disagree with, try and draw up your own list and see how you get on.

thewobbler

I'd imagine that James Colgan, John Boyle and Paul McComiskey will all move up to the senior squad once the under-21 season is finished. All should be in contention for a Championship place in my opinion.

I honestly don't think Mark Rooney has the pace to play corner-back at senior level 5ivetimes.

Brick, I'd say Decky Rooney (Burren) is a cert for the squad. I'd be surprised too if Peter Telford doesn't make this cut, and Stephen Kearney will be there if his injury isn't to bad.

MadMick007

What about the two Hurlers, McGourty and Johnston, i take it they are  not up to scratch

Brick Tamlin

sorry have to go against your Colgan choice there, solely on the basis that i cant see Ross taking on any player that isnt over 21 unless its absolutely called for, maybe later in the season, why should we be pressurising or relyin on the likes of him to save the day, there should be enough players to choose from above 21 without ruining younger guys .
say Colgan was to be drafted in right now and had a stinker of a season then where does that leave him (or anyone else for that matter) next season. Let him enjoy his Sigerson and U21 days and college first. Sure look what happened the class of '99, they still havent "graduated" or "come of age" - and if i hear once more that "this is the season they come of age" il eat my hat - friggin Van Wilder didnt take as long to graduate!!!

Mark Rooney - really cant see him being near the senior squad in the immediate future.

Brick Tamlin

only left two hurlers out because county hurling management will get first dibs on them, anyway magic wouldnt be there, mcgourty however impressed id say and would be in

goldenyears

brick, i reckon u must have read my earlier post, so i agree too - no u21s/minors will be in the senior panel at all. I totally agree with it, makes a refreshing change not to force young lads thru before their time, no matter how good.

s kearney is a definite based on form to date; interesting to hear how it all pans out.

i believe th fixtures will be announced soon, senior mgt have run thru them and have given approval albeit with a few changes

johnneycool

This post is not about how good or bad facilities are that each club in Down owns or uses; it is about the facilities they think they own or even are convinced they have more rights to use than any one else.

The majority of clubs have their own pitch and facilities all developed from hard work through fund raising and other means that are honest and true to their club. Showing the wealth of their club is important to members as they are proud of their club's achievement. No matter how bad the accounts are club grounds will portray the success of the club and its members off the field to the general public.

The point is people connected to clubs have a sense of pride in their club and their achievements are honoured and praised by all. However, in Down we have several clubs were the pitches and facilities all belong to the county board. All the club is doing is paying admin fees annually and collecting money at the gate which is most likely more than others due to attracting big championship games and playoff games.

Should all clubs not be forced to purchase their own grounds and leave county grounds for ounty football or hurling?

This would also put an end to county teams over using club grounds for training.

As a matter of interest other than Bryansford, what other club in Down play on a ground owned by the county board?

Don't say the marshes as the county board don't own it either.

Brick Tamlin

Goldenyears dont flatter yourself  :)  :) , ive always believed we shouldne be relying on younger guys so much.

also i dont know what it is, but im not feeling the Stephen Kearney vibe at all, dont get me wrong, very talentd player but just cant see it at minute also his injury will surely hamper his chances. Who knows maybe Ross will give the injured players an even longer break and leave them off the named panel but intend to use them at a later stage.

thewobbler

So, using the old 2 players for each position method, we're looking at:

Goalkeepers (2)
Mickey McVeigh - cert
Bernard Connell - cert
(I'd prefer Pete Travers and Brendan McVeigh myself)

Full-backs (6)
Brendan Grant - cert
Darren Cunningham - cert
Martin Cole
Adrian Scullion
Daniel McCartan
Eoin Henry
(I'd still like to see Andrew Kane tested in the no.3 jersey. Stephen Toner a possibility. Dee Rafferty could easily be drafted back if needed. Henry and Cunningham could well end up starting vs Cavan.)

Half-backs (6)
Paul Murphy - cert
Alan Molloy - cert
Damian Rafferty - cert
Liam Doyle
John Clarke
James McGovern
(Any of Mark Doran, Paul Shields, Kevin McGuigan could well make it. If Doyle is committed to playing at 6, it's good news. If not, Shields should get a serious run there. McGovern is useful to have around as he can play anywhere.)

Midfielders (4)
Dan Gordon - cert
Benny Coulter - cert
James Colgan - cert
Jackie Lynch
(Possibly McClean, either of the Peter Turleys, Peter Telford or McGourty too. Personally I'd have Telford and McClean over Lynch. In the future, I see Colgan as a centre-back rather than a midfielder.)

Half-forwards
Mickey Walsh - cert
Declan Rooney - cert
Ronan Sexton - cert
Aidan Carr - cert
Stephen Kearney
John Boyle
(Possibly Barry Doran, Mark Poland, Conor Laverty as well. There's a distinct lack or workhorses here apart from Sexton, and this could see Murphy pushed up to a wing-forward berth. I'm not sure about Carr, and wouldn't have him in the no.11 jersey ahead of Boyle, Kearney or Walsh - but he will make it.)

Full-forwards
Ronan Murtagh - cert
Daniel Hughes - cert
Eoin McCartan - cert
Fintan McGreevey
Paul McComiskey
Brendan Loughran
(Conor Gribben and Jason Brown will go close, but neither is physical enough for Championship football. The first three will be Down's full-forward line vs Cavan if they're fit.)

goldenyears

dan hughes is not a cert! watch this space

amallon

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Brick Tamlin

Some interesting observations  -

Agree with the Goalkeeping issue - Best two goalies in Down right now and for some time have been
1) Pete Travers &
2) B Mc Veigh.

- strange that Andrew Kane hasnt been seen at all thsi year in the shakeup - id have him in there ahead of alot of fellas too.
- You have one or two guys down as certs that i definitely have to disagree with, take for instance Paul Murphy & Declan Rooney as certs and then John Clarke & Adrian Scullion not - cant agree with ye there.
- I wouldnt have telford near it, or any downpatrick players - just dont think they have anyone of county standard in their ranks - think the twins would be more useful.
- Colgan has to be groomed for no 6 jersey - isnt as strong a midfielder as he is half back, also i think he is a quality player and definitely worth his place/salt, but he is also way overrated especially in our own county.
- Dee Raff has to be in there after injury clears up, Toner's "Rapin" against Packie Downey just proves he isnt strong enough yet i think.

Brick Tamlin

heres a challenge for all - try naming the actual panel and starting 15 against Louth -  :) :)