Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boscomo

JFC RESULT Bosco 1-10  Dromara 0-9
A scrappy affair played in wet conditions at Drumgath. Teams went in at half time 5 points apeice altough the city team had several wides and Dromara deserved to be level.
Bosco pushed harder in the 2nd period but agian their finishing let them down and the 4th div team where well in it until a masive side line ball from Bosco,s Colie Keenan sailed over the bar and a 60 minute goal form Neil Tumilty sealed a scrappy win for an out of sorts Bosco who on fairness where absent 7 1st team starters.
Dromara gave a good account of themselves and will feel very disapointed.
if in doubt eat it

dundrumite

dundrumite

Boscomo that must be a very different Bosco team that played us in Jack Mackin park. Your going to need to get all your boys fit and eager to go at it for the next rounds,some decent teams still left in the jfc. Dont suppose you heard how  st . micheals done againist mitchells or drumaness vs st. pauls?

thewobbler

I have to say the SFC quarter finals look a really good fare. Even, interesting matches, Mayobridge being in one of their moods aside.

Rostrevor will spend the next 10 days trying to get into the same frame of mind that saw them play Mayobridge off the park in the 2005 final, and if they can reach that frame of mind, will give the Sky Blue a fair run for their money.

Kilcoo vs Longstone will be a frightening pace and should be the pick of the round. 'Stone would appear to have the better individuals, but Kilcoo have a great workrate and team ethic.

Bryansford vs Loughinisland won't be quite as frantic, but there'll be a lot of very decent individuals on show and should be good, hard-hitting stuff. Both sides are capable of playing good open football, but I've a feeling they'll be more interested in stopping each other.

Speaking of which, I reckon Burren and Castlewellan will be a pure war of attrition and could even verge on nastiness. There are a number of players on each side who've seen better days, but are prepared to cut loose and use whatever method necessary to get through. I' say Burren hold more aces, but if Town can their genuine first XV on the field, this could be their day.

boscomo

dundrumite..........st.micheals v mitchels ended in a draw i beleive.
yes agree that we have had major  manpower problems but the 15 that played got us through, we where missing -----a coleman, n conlon, s fox, f downey, n mulvaney, n sheilds , t mcdonald ( all possable starters) n tumilty, k mccrink, and m dougan all came on tonight after layoffs with injuries, will have a full compliment for Ballykillner match.so we will be back to how we where playing when we met your goodselves.
if in doubt eat it

Smiler An Dun

Mitchells 1-13 St. Michaels 1-13

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 14, 2007, 05:15:34 PM
Jut read over on the message board on hoganstand that the Ulster Council and Croke Park are trying to put on a match involving the PSNI before the All Ireland U21 hurling semi in Newry. Any truth in this or is it typical hoganstand?

Yes its true, Shamrocks club were only notified at the start of the week and it was presented to them as a fait d'acompli. The U10 hurlers from the club were due to play Na Fianna from Dublin in a friendly prior to the match but that is now taking place in Derrylecka as prominence is given to a "mickey mouse" game between BT and the PSNI as a PR stunt.
Croke Park, Ulster Council and County Board all involved in this and kept the club in the dark about it - no consideration for the club who will have to deal with the aftermath, potential vandalism to the club house etc by "dissidents" annoyed by the PSNI playing in the town. Will there be sniffer dogs etc at Pairc Esler on Saturday, what about the safety of the kids that use the facility on Saturday morning from U12/10 hurling.
Shamrocks are washing their hands of the event and all club memebrs have been instructed not to attend and the clubhouse will be locked - don't know who is going to steward probably just a crowd from the Ulster council - wouldn't be surprised if there were protests outside and indeed inside the ground. I think it is demeaning to the Derry and Dublin teams that an All Ireland semi final should eb used in this manner to promote a PR stunt.  >:(

thewobbler

1. Talk about a storm in a teacup.
2. Seamrogai enjoy a huge financial and infrastructure boost from being associated with the county ground. They shouldn't act like spoilt bastards because their under-10 hurlers can't play a friendly match on the ground. It worth repeating that it's their under-10 hurlers who can't play a friendly match.

stpauls

what date is this match to take place between the police and BT?

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Wobbler you clown it has nothing to do with the U10s or indeed the senior challenge that is just a by product of the situation its that the club wasn't even consulted about this game. If you are so keen for it to take place why not host it in Ballyholland!

Reality is that this is a PR stunt, why weren't one of the Ulster League semi finals put on before this game, never heard of an inter-firms match before an All Ireland semi final in my life. This is the payback by the Ulster Council for their funding from the British Government - given that its a county ground surely it should have been discussed at the county board meeting?

I for one don't want to see sniffer dogs patrolling the inside of the county ground but that is exactly what will happen on Saturday! No need for the game and it demans the All Ireland semi hosting a media circus event like this on before it

amallon

These dissident republicans have feck all support as it is, if they started threatening GAA members or damaging GAA property they'd destroy whatever little community support they have.  Its not going to happen.  You'll get the odd Celtic supporting bar stool republican giving off that will be the height of it. 

P.S. Anyone got the list of dates and venues for the next round of the championship.  I've heard the Bridge play Rostrevor in Newry on the Friday night (24th).  6:30 kick off
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

stpauls

DATE   AROUND A POUND                      VENUE   REFEREE
   INTERMEDIATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP                        
Thurs 23 Aug 6 45 pm   Daragh Cross      V   Dundrum         St Johns   P Brownlee
Sat 25th Aug 6 00pm   Tullylish         V   Ballyholland         Saval   H P Mc Cusker
Sun 26th Aug 4 15pm   Downpatrick      V   Saval         Clonduff   N Cousins
Sat 25th Aug 4 15pm   Ballymartin         V   Carryduff/Bredagh      DownpatrickS Lowey

DATE   POWERADE SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP            VENUE   REFEREE
Sun 26th Aug 6 00pm         Castlewellan      V   Burren         Clonduff   C Reynolds
Thurs 23rd Aug 6 45p        Klicoo         V   Longstone         Newcastle   G Tumelty
Sat 25 Aug 6 00pm         Bryansford      V   Loughinisland      DownpatrickS O Hanlon
Fri 24th Aug 6 45pm         Mayobridge      V   Rostrevor         Burren   P Brannigan

DATE   JUNIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP               VENUE   REFEREE
Sun 26th Aug 1 00pm   Ballykinlar         V   Bosco         Kilcoo   M Curran
Sun 26th Aug 1 00pm   Bright         V   St Johns         Daragh CrossL Morgan
Sun 26th Aug 1 00pm   Mitchels/St Micheals      V   Aghaderg                      Annaclone   P D Doyle
Mon 27th Aug 6 45pm   Drumaness         V   Aughlisnafinn      Liatroim   P Mc Clorey

redandblackjack

Quote from: thewobbler on August 15, 2007, 10:12:53 AM
1. Talk about a storm in a teacup.
2. Seamrogai enjoy a huge financial and infrastructure boost from being associated with the county ground. They shouldn't act like spoilt bastards because their under-10 hurlers can't play a friendly match on the ground. It worth repeating that it's their under-10 hurlers who can't play a friendly match.

Hold on there wobbler......there is hardly a boost to the shamrocks when their youth team CAN NOT play on their home pitch is there???? Since the pitch has been re laid etc NO juvenile team is even allowed to train or play on the pitch! Take a walk down smart arse and see the state the back pitch has been left in since the stand was built!

The powers that be came along and TOLD the shamrocks that this match was being played- end of! This sort of shite has been going on long enough!
Spoilt you say? How about you and a few other Harps up the road come down and look after the place on Saturday then or indeed take the game to your place!

Oh and by the way, what infrastructure boost are you talking about? The Stand? Catch a grip..
Financial boost you say..... as the only club in Newry to promote all gaelic games do you begrudge them it?

thewobbler

Lads, with the greatest respct, you are trying to make something out of nothing. If you want to make it out that Shamrocks are somehow oppressed as a result of having excellent facilities handed to them on a plate, well I suppose that is your right. Don't expect too much sympathy from around the county though.

Quotethere is hardly a boost to the shamrocks when their youth team CAN NOT play on their home pitch is there
It isn't a play park, it's a stadium. Not even a ground, but a stadium. It comes with a responsibility. Anyway, like all clubs in this county who have a second pitch, my own club tries to encourage as much training and matches as possible on that second pitch. This is why they are built.

QuoteSince the pitch has been re laid etc NO juvenile team is even allowed to train or play on the pitch!
Is this really the case? That no juvenile teams play on the pitch? But the seniors train on it? Are you sure the county board in all their supposed evilness can enforce this rule? For example, they let our reserves play a league game on it a month ago - do they really differentiate between reserve football and minor football or under-16 football? I'd love an honest answer here. As for training - well, if you have a second pitch, you should be doing most of your training on it. That's only common sense.

QuoteTake a walk down smart arse and see the state the back pitch has been left in since the stand was built!
Take a walk across some of the fields that held Championship football last week and you'll understand that Shamrocks no.2 pitch isn't the only victim of wet weather and over-consumption.

QuoteThe powers that be came along and TOLD the shamrocks that this match was being played- end of! This sort of shite has been going on long enough!
Again, you have to take the rough with the smooth. Sometimes its nice that a larger body wants to take care over your grounds, sometimes it's a pain in the arse that they want to share those grounds.

QuoteSpoilt you say?
When you get state of the art changing rooms built for nothing on your grounds next year, you do realise that around the same time there'll be members of clubs all across this county selling £100 tickets in the hope that they can build something half as good. Spoilt is too strong a word, but it is certainly a nice arrangement you have got going on.

QuoteHow about you and a few other Harps up the road come down and look after the place on Saturday then or indeed take the game to your place!
Can we have the intercounty matches as well while you're giving things away?

Really though, I may be misinformed here, but as the host club for Championship occasions receives 10% of the gate towards costs etc., I assume this arrangement carries on at other levels too. Newry always gets bigger games and bigger gates than anywhere else. If I'm wrong, and in fact the Shamrocks make nothing out of hosting games, then I take my hat off to your club and to how well they continually mobilise stewards and ticket collectors for matches. If I'm right though, you shouldn't behave like a spoiled child when you are asked to give a little bit extra back.

QuoteOh and by the way, what infrastructure boost are you talking about? The Stand? Catch a grip..
The stand, the prunty pitch, the floodlighting, the changing rooms in the pipeline. Shamrocks have the best facilities in the county and haven't had to pay too much to have that privilege. But I suppose you'd swap it all just for the right to host juvenile friendly matches whenever you want?

QuoteFinancial boost you say..... as the only club in Newry to promote all gaelic games do you begrudge them it?
For a South Down club, Shamrocks dedication to hurling is tremendous, and a credit to the club.  But your club simply are not the victims of some horrible atrocity as is portrayed above. They do better out of the arrangement with the county board than vice versa, and this shouldn't be forgotten.

-------------------------------------------------------

QuoteWobbler you clown it has nothing to do with the U10s or indeed the senior challenge that is just a by product of the situation its that the club wasn't even consulted about this game. If you are so keen for it to take place why not host it in Ballyholland!
All covered above

QuoteReality is that this is a PR stunt, why weren't one of the Ulster League semi finals put on before this game, never heard of an inter-firms match before an All Ireland semi final in my life.
Why get so upset about a PR stunt? At the end of the day, if it helps encourage acceptance of our games, it is a worthwhile experiment. Besides, A while ago I'd never heard of camogie and County Championship on the one bill, but it happens now.

QuoteThis is the payback by the Ulster Council for their funding from the British Government
Honestly now, do you really think that the British government could give a hundredth of a damn about this game? Really?

Quotegiven that its a county ground surely it should have been discussed at the county board meeting?
The reason why there is a management committee is so that trivial decisions such as pitch arrangements don't have to be passed by the county board.

QuoteI for one don't want to see sniffer dogs patrolling the inside of the county ground but that is exactly what will happen on Saturday!
I'm not quite sure of any dissident republican's motives, but placing devices in a GAA ground is no way to win support from nationalists - and almost everyone involved in this weekend's fixtures is a nationalist. Would even a crazed republican really take the risk leaving a device in Pairc Esler, in the hope that the PSNI sweep the place and find it, which if they don't, it will be one of the four year olds running around the terraces during a game who finds it?

QuoteNo need for the game and it demans the All Ireland semi hosting a media circus event like this on before it
I'm a Gael who lives not far from Pairc Esler, but only for reading this thread I would simply have had no idea this game was taking place. Some media circus that. This is old news. It's all been done before. Maybe not on Shamrocks ground, but all over Northern Ireland. I doubt very much if either local station will even cover it. If they send cameras, they'll only have to feature the hurling as well, and neither station is seemingly very keen on doing that.

--------------------------------------

Anyway, here's my final point. This isn't a Ballyholland vs Shamrocks thing, and I'd really hope that you don't continue trying to drag this down as some petty local rivalry. I just honestly think that the two Shamrocks contributors here are making an awful lot of noise, but have no argument of substance as to why the county board are wrong here. It's a storm in a teacup.

downgael

QuoteSince the pitch has been re laid etc NO juvenile team is even allowed to train or play on the pitch! Take a walk down smart arse and see the state the back pitch has been left in since the stand was built!

Last Sunday morning Shamrocks U10's played Mayobridge U10's on the Pitch