Donegal v Dublin AISF 31st Aug 2014

Started by StephenC, August 11, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

There hasn't been nearly as much hype for this as I was expecting

WT4E

Quote from: southdown on August 27, 2014, 12:38:27 PM

Yeah no hype - as you as expected - Think Dublin have really went to the next level of taking fun out of football - with their GAAbots.

But fair play to them they will definitely win the All Ireland IMO (Prob for the next few years too)

Aaron Boone

Quote from: WT4E on August 27, 2014, 01:10:12 PM

Yeah no hype - as you as expected - Think Dublin have really went to the next level of taking fun out of football - with their GAAbots.

But fair play to them they will definitely win the All Ireland IMO (Prob for the next few years too)

Undoubtedly.

macdanger2

Anyone I've talked to about the match is going for a handy Dublin win, that it won't even be a contest.

Personally I think Donegal will give Dublin a good game of it although Dublin may pull away in the last 10-15 minutes.

WT4E

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 27, 2014, 01:34:54 PM
Anyone I've talked to about the match is going for a handy Dublin win, that it won't even be a contest.

Personally I think Donegal will give Dublin a good game of it although Dublin may pull away in the last 10-15 minutes.

Statements like this are also starting to annoy me! good game but pull away in the last 10 minutes!

I suppose the Dubs don't care that no ones really interested in them winning it outside the county? But surely somewhere deep down JG would like his team to be more likeable winners??

GalwayBayBoy

Been overshadowed by the enormous (and tedious) stink over the venue for the Mayo v Kerry replay.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: WT4E on August 27, 2014, 01:39:53 PM

Statements like this are also starting to annoy me! good game but pull away in the last 10 minutes!

I suppose the Dubs don't care that no ones really interested in them winning it outside the county? But surely somewhere deep down JG would like his team to be more likeable winners??

What will we do over elaborate fist pumping, roaring (all done before under caffrey) or look for players to be carded

J70

No one in Donegal is even given us a realistic chance here. Hard to generate excitement when the outcome is pretty much thought to be all but certain. This would be the biggest upset since... I don't know. .. Clare beat Kerry in '92 if we were to pull it off.

screenexile

I don't understand this... what more would you like them to do? They play the best brand of football in the game. Yes they are finally taking advantage of the numerous resources they have but they are entertaining to watch of that there is no doubt. It's up to everyone else to knock them off their perch!

The GAAbot thing is definitely harsh as well. I would have said it about the team in 2011 which was more littered with gym monkeys than the current team which is littered with quality skillful players who are also strong and athletic.

From the Bunker

Quote from: J70 on August 27, 2014, 02:02:04 PM
No one in Donegal is even given us a realistic chance here. Hard to generate excitement when the outcome is pretty much thought to be all but certain. This would be the biggest upset since... I don't know. .. Clare beat Kerry in '92 if we were to pull it off.

Are Dublin being completely over-rated? Since 2011 they have not had it all their own way against Mayo/Kerry/Donegal! All have been narrow defeats or wins. I have to say like Donegal, the hype here (in Mayo) has been underwhelming.

Dont Matter

Admiring the current Dubs squad is similar to admiring Lance Armstrong at his best. Yes they're good, yes they're almost unbeatable but take away the doping (financial in Dubl$ns case) and they'd be just about competitive at the top level.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Thisonegoesto11

If there was , there would be a 'All this typical hype about Dublin' thread (s)

Damned if ye do and all that.

Teams announcements will give us the opportunity to talk about the game more instead of the various comments on Dublin regardless of the thread title.

WT4E

Quote from: screenexile on August 27, 2014, 02:02:19 PM

I don't understand this... what more would you like them to do? They play the best brand of football in the game. Yes they are finally taking advantage of the numerous resources they have but they are entertaining to watch of that there is no doubt. It's up to everyone else to knock them off their perch!

The GAAbot thing is definitely harsh as well. I would have said it about the team in 2011 which was more littered with gym monkeys than the current team which is littered with quality skillful players who are also strong and athletic.

Sorry can't warm to them - I could warm to earlier Dublin teams but not this one and its not a case of not liking them cause they are winning all round them because there were some Kerry teams like that which I really enjoyed watching!

southdown

Considering the following:

Donegal won the AI 2 years ago
Dublin have not yet met a top side this year to date
Donegal have the ultimate blanket at their disposal, think back to how it was used in 2011
McFadden is due a big game
Crazy pressure on the Dubs

This is by no means a foregone conclusion.  Tactically it will be fascinating.

Fuzzman

At the start of the year I was really looking forward to this fixture and was hoping it would be the AI final but it didn't work out that way
I think Donegal will really get into Dublin's faces and harass them like Tyrone did to Kerry in that famous game back in 2002.
There was no breathing space at all and as soon as you got the ball you were surrounded by a pack of wolves. It almost got to the stage where players didn't even want the ball.
I think if Donegal can bring that to the table for the first 35 mins then Dublin for the first time all year will start questioning themselves.
The pressure from the fans who I have witnessed all year is one of major expectancy and pressure and if things aren't going their way they will become restless and that will make it's way onto the pitch, I hope.

However looking into my AIG crystal ball below, I do think Donegal have no where near the fire power to trouble Dublin even if their full back line is a possible weakness should Murphy be played there and his clone played at MF. McFadden has been poor all year and hopefully he does a Mugsy in 2005 and finally wakes up and scores a cracker goal and gets back his mojo.
I think Donegal will maybe be leading at HT 4-3 and then the Dubs will get a goal and suddenly it's all over. It sounds obvious but if Dublin get 2 or 3 ahead of Donegal then will Donegal have the no how to come out and attack. I doubt it.

I just want to see a good tight exciting match as I'm tired of bringing my kids to games all year to see it all over at half time. Even the Dubs are bored with it and most don't even watch the second half. It's become like Watching American sports where it's all about the food and drink.

Are many of ye neutrals coming down for this game?

SouthDown have you been to watch Dublin this year in Croker?