Donegal v Dublin AISF 31st Aug 2014

Started by StephenC, August 11, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Thing is, Dublin will also be putting the Donegal players under severe pressure. I see lots of blind alleys and turnovers.

From the Bunker

Quote from: southdown on August 27, 2014, 02:31:21 PM
Considering the following:

Donegal won the AI 2 years ago. A fresher Donegal won the AI 2 years ago!
Dublin have not yet met a top side this year to date Donegal have yet to meet a top side also
Donegal have the ultimate blanket at their disposal, think back to how it was used in 2011 A 2011 fresher team with McFadden at 100%

McFadden is due a big game McFadden is due a big game for the last two years
Crazy pressure on the Dubs I actually think there is no Pressure on the Dubs, 2 AI's in three years, Playing at home in front of a Huge partisan crowd. The Pressure is on Donegal. This will be the end for quite a few player if they lose.

This is by no means a foregone conclusion.  Tactically it will be fascinating. Agreed

From the Bunker

Quote from: J70 on August 27, 2014, 03:07:39 PM
Thing is, Dublin will also be putting the Donegal players under severe pressure. I see lots of blind alleys and turnovers.
Yeah, the pressure won't be one way! Don't be fooled that Dublin play out and out attacking football!

Fuzzman

Yes but that is the only flaw in this Dublin team. A bit like Kerry before they met Tyrone. That try as they may in training you can't replicate that intensity(Spillane accent) and all of Dublin's matches bar the first 20 mins v Monaghan they got it so handy.
Dublin are used to getting time on the ball and looking up and kicking a nice foot pass into space.
How will they fare when they're swarmed immediately by 5 players each time?

This is the only part of this game I'm looking forward to but I fear it won't last too long.
As soon as Dublin get a lead they really kick on then and their HUGE confidence kicks in and then there's no stopping them

If Dublin score a goal watch how the whole team then enthuses confidence and belief. They go for goals far more than any team. You rarely see tehm fist passing it over the bar any more. MDMA used to do this a lot, now he shoots for goal as well.

WT4E

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 27, 2014, 02:45:39 PM

Are many of ye neutrals coming down for this game?

Yeah I'm heading fuzzman - through convience really not through choice - Just hope its a competitive game (which I don't think it will be) would have preferred to see the Kerry Mayo game but couldn't get!

mackers

McFadden is due a big game
I really don't get this.  One of McGuinness' greatest mangerial feats was getting McFadden to play the way he did in 2012.  IMO he played way above himself that year.  My abiding memory of McFadden is of him being caught on TV laughing and joking on the bench after being subbed in the game vs Armagh in Cross when his team were taking a tanking out on the field.  Doesn't like the physical stuff which is amazing as you think he'd be getting it all the time in training.
Vastly overrated player.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

J70

Quote from: mackers on August 27, 2014, 03:49:42 PM
I really don't get this.  One of McGuinness' greatest mangerial feats was getting McFadden to play the way he did in 2012.  IMO he played way above himself that year.  My abiding memory of McFadden is of him being caught on TV laughing and joking on the bench after being subbed in the game vs Armagh in Cross when his team were taking a tanking out on the field.  Doesn't like the physical stuff which is amazing as you think he'd be getting it all the time in training.
Vastly overrated player.

Well, your "abiding memory" is a misinformed one. It was a rueful laugh on McFadden 's part as he had just been asked to wait around after the game for an on - pitch presentation recognizing his 100th senior appearance.  He even got grief from the Armagh lads, warming down after the game, asking him if it was a man of the match award!

McGuinness did in fact get much more out of him than any other manager in 2011 and 2012, but that was in terms of consistency.  The talent has always been there. As for not liking the physical stuff, have you ever watched Ulster football? The man is simply off - form,  perhaps,  given how long he has been at it,  irreversibly.  Doesn't help either that he us double - marked all the time.

Jinxy

Was reading an article about the amount of gear the college football teams were bringing over.
The size of the playing group and coaching stuff is staggering.
It's like a military operation.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

WT4E

Quote from: Jinxy on August 27, 2014, 04:16:02 PM
Was reading an article about the amount of gear the college football teams were bringing over.

I heard they were amazed by the same things in the Dublin set up!!!

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on August 27, 2014, 04:16:02 PM

Like Sapian so.

* dons helmets

MWWSI 2017

mackers

Quote from: J70 on August 27, 2014, 04:05:46 PM
Well, your "abiding memory" is a misinformed one. It was a rueful laugh on McFadden 's part as he had just been asked to wait around after the game for an on - pitch presentation recognizing his 100th senior appearance.  He even got grief from the Armagh lads, warming down after the game, asking him if it was a man of the match award!
I'll take your word for it as you seem to be well informed.  It was bad looking at the time.
Most top forwards in the country are double teamed (esp when they play Donegal which is why I said you think he would be used to it in training), I don't think that's a viable excuse for him.  Granted he has shown flashes of talent, I remember one outstanding performance against Tyrone in '00s.  Just think he has a suspect temperament and for Donegal to pin their hopes on such a player leaves them in a bad place.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Farrandeelin

We need something to put a bit of jizz into this thread. Anybody have any ideas? Dont Matter and his tables of money even? :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

Quote from: mackers on August 27, 2014, 04:28:17 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 27, 2014, 04:05:46 PM
I'll take your word for it as you seem to be well informed.  It was bad looking at the time.
Most top forwards in the country are double teamed (esp when they play Donegal which is why I said you think he would be used to it in training), I don't think that's a viable excuse for him.  Granted he has shown flashes of talent, I remember one outstanding performance against Tyrone in '00s.  Just think he has a suspect temperament and for Donegal to pin their hopes on such a player leaves them in a bad place.

Nah, we are not pinning our hopes on him, which partly explains our virtual complete lack of hope! You can't turn form on and off. He has done nothing since the Down game last year,  when a few marvelous, long range, grab-it - and - shoot points were the winning of the game. His next performance against Monaghan,  when he couldn't hit a barn door,  was a big reason we lost,  although we were well beaten all over the field. Disagree on the physical stuff though- he is a big, well built, man,  and thrived in 2011-12 when often on his own up front.

heffo

Considering the following:

Donegal won the AI 2 years ago
Dublin have not yet met a top side this year to date
Donegal have the ultimate blanket at their disposal, think back to how it was used in 2011
Crazy pressure on the Dubs

This is by no means a foregone conclusion.  Tactically it will be fascinating.

Really? From where?

They've won two AI's, this exceptional team should win some more over the next few years. I've yet to hear anyone from Dublin think they're under pressure for Sunday

heffo

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 27, 2014, 02:45:39 PM

Does that guy from London who pays for all Donegals training weekends and warm weather training camps abroad pay in Sterling?