Donegal v Dublin AISF 31st Aug 2014

Started by StephenC, August 11, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Don't be daft, the Roscommon bus can't fly.
It is completely amphibious however.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DuffleKing

Quote from: INDIANA on August 13, 2014, 06:55:14 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 13, 2014, 06:50:39 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 13, 2014, 06:48:08 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 13, 2014, 02:32:52 PM
Can't see anything but a Dublin win. Too many variables for Donegal, Mark McHugh not playing, Lacey injured, Kavanagh not enough game time, McFadden playing absolute pants all year.

Yes the system will stifle Dublin to an extent but I just think the Dubs have too many good footballers this time around. The year the Dubs beat Donegal on the way to win the All Ireland they didn't have the same calibre of player and weren't playing the same type of football as they are now, this years team would beat the Dubs of 3 years ago quite comfortably I'd suggest.

Anyway I think Dubs by about 10!

2011 side versus 2014 side

goalkeeper- same
full back line - two thirds
half back line - two thirds
midfield- half
half forward line - same
full forward line - two thirds

Not a huge difference. And that will give Donegal lots of hope. Donegal can't win playing like 2011 IMO.

To beat Dublin you need a high shot count and a high accuracy rating (greater then 50%). Currently Donegal have neither playing their current system. That's largely down to the players being 3 years older.

If they concede the short kickouts they'll lose. They have to gamble on their own kick-outs as well and kick the ball to midfield and contest and take the risk of leaving themselves exposed at the back. And put a premium on the breaks. They just won't score enough to win the game otherwise.

I think overall we are better then Donegal at the moment. What Donegal lack are an influx of new players. Only really Mc Nicholas has been a find. O Connor will be a really good player as well in time. Minors should provide them with a few- but they need more of that.

It's the only way they can win. Of course, its entirely possible that they just can't win.

Not a hope. They couldn't keep Dublin out in 2011 with a man extra for last 15 minutes of the 70mins. They aren't going to do it 3 years later.

To win they have to gamble early on and get ahead and then try and lock it up as they do in Ulster.

I hope you deliberately missed the point.

Donegal are a competitive team at the top table because they have a coherent and effective game plan - built on defence first. If they came out and attacked, any number of teams could beat them, never mind this Dublin team.

They will play as they've always done because they must. Playing as you advocate will mean a hammering. Maybe they can't win playing as they normally do but it's the approach that gives them a puncher's chance.

You need a high shot count and a high accuracy rating to beat Dublin (as you say) only if you allow Dublin their normal attacking space to create their normal shot count.

Donegal to come out and gamble Sunday week? Yeah, right.

BluestackBoy

There is absolutely no chance in the wide world that Donegal will come out all guns blazing against Dublin. Hell will freeze over first.

I expect to see a variation on the 2011 tactics with more emphasis on keeping the scoreboard ticking. He will try to frustrate Dublin & will hope that they start making poor decisions. If that happens then the game is truly up for grabs.

McGuinness's priority will be to make sure Donegal are still in the game by half time. If they are then, like Dublin, they will back themselves in the third quarter.

It could, of course all go tits up for Donegal but one thing they will be is confident in themselves, each other & in their system. 

Dublin are, of course, deserved favourites, they are a great team & a joy to watch. But in Donegal, under McGuinness, they will get their toughest examination yet.

Looking forward to it.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

INDIANA

We've no chance Jim and the Boys were in the Secret Training Camp all week.

Like the Gestapo IRFU officials were screened before entering the building just in case they had video recorders or phones that might record the action.

All rooms cleaned out by the Donegal Special Guard- devoted Jesuits but related to the Swiss Guards who guard the Vatican.

They didn't spend 30k on it either. Jim claims he won it in a raffle ran by the Dublin County Board Benevolent Fund to help those counties who are professional but actually aren't.

More to follow tomorrow.

rrhf

I wonder Will the referee have seen the nasty stuff in Dublin game. If so they could struggle. Also I have yet to be convinced that this dublin team has a third all ireland in them.  Takes a truly great group to get 3.  I do feel it's been the worst championship for decades.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on August 23, 2014, 12:29:17 AM
We've no chance Jim and the Boys were in the Secret Training Camp all week.

Like the Gestapo IRFU officials were screened before entering the building just in case they had video recorders or phones that might record the action.

All rooms cleaned out by the Donegal Special Guard- devoted Jesuits but related to the Swiss Guards who guard the Vatican.

They didn't spend 30k on it either. Jim claims he won it in a raffle ran by the Dublin County Board Benevolent Fund to help those counties who are professional but actually aren't.

More to follow tomorrow.

Very good Indiana very good.

You missed out on the Knights of Columbanus who are manning road blocks & Opus Dei who are at this very moment carrying out a "re-education" of Joe Brolly.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on August 23, 2014, 08:40:52 AM
I wonder Will the referee have seen the nasty stuff in Dublin game. If so they could struggle. Also I have yet to be convinced that this dublin team has a third all ireland in them.  Takes a truly great group to get 3.  I do feel it's been the worst championship for decades.

It's only a question of when they win 3. Its not this year it will be next year when the Cormac Costello's of this world are given their heads up.

I'm of the opinion this could be Mayo's year.

rrhf

From what I hear Kerry will have a big say in next years championship.  Better win this year to be sure then..

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on August 23, 2014, 11:11:21 AM
Quote from: rrhf on August 23, 2014, 08:40:52 AM

I'm of the opinion this could be Mayo's year.

Agreed. The same people who started 'Are Dublin the best team ever' threads will then be starting 'I knew Dublin were overrated' threads

Farrandeelin

Quote from: INDIANA on August 19, 2014, 10:40:17 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 19, 2014, 10:38:03 PM
Sure rugby was the same in this country back in the amateur days.

In its rocks it was. A former Irish international in the early 90's who I now work with detailed his itinery to me in an international week and it involved one serious night on the piss early in the week. He reckons GAA players now are twenty times fitter then they were.

Jesus no wonder Ireland got the wooden spoon so often back then.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rrhf

Class I remember talking to one irish international at the time professional to me means more pizza less Chinese.   

WT4E

Will it be hard to get tickets for this game (as a neutral)? I see there sold out online. Any ideas where to pick a couple?

donegal lad

Quote from: WT4E on August 25, 2014, 03:53:24 PM
Will it be hard to get tickets for this game (as a neutral)? I see there sold out online. Any ideas where to pick a couple?
There are ones available on tickets.ie now. All upper tier but meant be a limited number available

INDIANA

Donegal had their rooms in the Johnstown House swept by their cleaning team before they left yesterday. True story.

AZOffaly