Limerick vs Kilkenny 2014 All Ireland semi final

Started by Dag Dog, August 07, 2014, 11:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dag Dog

I have a feeling Limerick will cause an upset. Kilkenny have looked comfortable this year, but haven't got a proper test.
Maybe some of the unrest in the Kilkenny camp will cause them to lose focus?

They will expect to beat Limerick and we haven't worried them in recent years.
They'll underestimate is and Limerick will win by 4.  8)

johnneycool

Quote from: Dag Dog on August 07, 2014, 11:11:59 AM
I have a feeling Limerick will cause an upset. Kilkenny have looked comfortable this year, but haven't got a proper test.
Maybe some of the unrest in the Kilkenny camp will cause them to lose focus?

They will expect to beat Limerick and we haven't worried them in recent years.
They'll underestimate is and Limerick will win by 4.  8)

There's certain aspects of Limericks play that I like and aspects IMO they need to improve upon, the main one being their shooting for points 70 yards out, its yielded quite a few wides in both the Munster final and the quarter final against Wexford.
Kilkenny will crowd out that area of the field so shooting from here will be far more hurried than it was vrs Wexford and with that more likely to have less of a success rate. Drop some in on top of Downes and the odd one into the spaces for Mulcahy to run onto a bit more to keep Kilkenny on their toes.
They'll also need to win a good bit of aerial ball in their half forward line to create the chances they'll need to win, not impossible by any means as the big Galway men showed earlier on in the year but a few goals will need to be got to open up a lead.

Whilst the Limerick fullback line is as good as there is about at the minute, their half backs need to follow the runs of the Kilkenny half forwards and midfield who get a good few goals by bursting into that area from deep onto the ball, either passed to them or breaking off an aerial delivery, no matter how good a fullback line is the support needs to be following up, something for McNamara in particular to be weary off.

This Kilkenny team isn't the invincible on of a few years back, but they are still the ones to beat, Limerick can do it, but need a good start to settle in early and get going, Kilkenny get a good start and open up a gap and Limerick may well struggle to get into the game.

Limericks brain will need to match their brawn to prevail, TJ will need to be sharp along the line and make the necessary changes when needed as Cody is the best in the business at setting his team up to exploit weaknesses in the opposition.

waterfordlad

Kilkenny fans are confident for Sunday but I reckon Limerick have a decent chance. They can score plenty and have a good full back line and will want to make up for last years semi final defeat. Hopefully we will have a good, close game unlike the 2 quarter finals.
Good luck to the Waterford minors v Kilkenny as well and it would be nice to beat the Cats in the semi final for the 2nd year in row.

manfromdelmonte

That Limerick full back line is waiting to be taken apart.

I can only see one winner

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 08, 2014, 01:32:18 AM
That Limerick full back line is waiting to be taken apart.

I can only see one winner

Fullback lines don't defend in isolation hence my comment that the half back line will need to be wary of the Kilkenny lads running onto the ball coming back out or across the goals as IMO most of the Kilkenny goals are actually scored by half forwards and midfielders bursting into the area.
There's only so much a full back line can do about that.

AZOffaly

Limerick full back line would be one of the strongest units left in it I'd think. Seamus Hickey's best position is in there, he absolutely ate that McGovern lad in Thurles, Ritchie McCarthy is obdurate and hard to break down, and Tom Condon has been one of the better corner backs since he came on the scene.

If Kilkenny get a run on from the half forward line, then yes the Limerick full back line will be under duress, but I can't see them being rattled one on one.

Milltown Row2

Unlucky on Waterford, they had a great spell in the second half but Kilkenny managed to steal a draw and win handy in extra time. Great game in fairness and Shane Bennett for Waterford has plenty of promise
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2014, 10:25:20 AM
Limerick full back line would be one of the strongest units left in it I'd think. Seamus Hickey's best position is in there, he absolutely ate that McGovern lad in Thurles, Ritchie McCarthy is obdurate and hard to break down, and Tom Condon has been one of the better corner backs since he came on the scene.

If Kilkenny get a run on from the half forward line, then yes the Limerick full back line will be under duress, but I can't see them being rattled one on one.
I think Hickey is a loose hurler. He carries the ball too much and isn't a tidy corner back.

armaghniac

Limerick unlucky to end up behind at HT. It would be have a great response to have got a goal at the other end just before HT.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Obvious

Refreshing to see the best side in hurling pushed all the way if only we seen more of that in football.

Wildweasel74

Was the ref Blind with that hack at the end, shocking stuff from the ref with the call and a card?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 10, 2014, 05:23:50 PM
Refreshing to see the best side in hurling pushed all the way if only we seen more of that in football.

The best side in Hurling had years of not being pushed all the way!

Bord na Mona man

It was never a penalty, but it's surprising how poor pundits and commentators are at seeing such basic aspects of the game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 10, 2014, 06:03:40 PM
It was never a penalty, but it's surprising how poor pundits and commentators are at seeing such basic aspects of the game.

Explain?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bord na Mona man

The trip was clearly outside the large square, yet Duignan and Canning were puzzled as to why no penalty was given. They had the benefit of several replays and still couldn't get it right.