Limerick vs Kilkenny 2014 All Ireland semi final

Started by Dag Dog, August 07, 2014, 11:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2014, 06:03:26 PM
You have to be 100 percent sure, if you don't see and for whatever reasons no one within your team (umpires linesmen) sees it then you can't give it. He had a chat with O'Grady also, but could have said I thought it was you but not sure, next thing and you are off!!! As a referee its sometimes difficult to actually get the right person all the time if players converge and tackle someone. He'd have no reason not to yellow card him, makes no difference to him surely

I'm not questioning his honesty, I'm questioning his competence and that of his umpires. Looking at the incident again last night, I saw nothing to contradict my initial impression that it was a desperately poor decision - that's the one I came to without the benefit of replays or being really close to the action. There is no excuse for not seeing what O'Grady had done and who had done it. The rain was not coming down in sheets like it was earlier and there was no converging of players. How about penalising the guy lying in a heap on the ground? Bottom line, any assessment of his performance has to include an extremely fat black mark for failing to spot that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: deiseach on August 13, 2014, 09:31:52 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2014, 06:03:26 PM
You have to be 100 percent sure, if you don't see and for whatever reasons no one within your team (umpires linesmen) sees it then you can't give it. He had a chat with O'Grady also, but could have said I thought it was you but not sure, next thing and you are off!!! As a referee its sometimes difficult to actually get the right person all the time if players converge and tackle someone. He'd have no reason not to yellow card him, makes no difference to him surely

I'm not questioning his honesty, I'm questioning his competence and that of his umpires. Looking at the incident again last night, I saw nothing to contradict my initial impression that it was a desperately poor decision - that's the one I came to without the benefit of replays or being really close to the action. There is no excuse for not seeing what O'Grady had done and who had done it. The rain was not coming down in sheets like it was earlier and there was no converging of players. How about penalising the guy lying in a heap on the ground? Bottom line, any assessment of his performance has to include an extremely fat black mark for failing to spot that.

I'm not defending what he 'didn't do' I'm looking at the possibility that he honestly didn't see it. His team of linesmen and umpires should have but didn't it seems which makes him look like a fool. I would say he will get a mark against him for that.

What I have noticed this while back is the same referees are getting all the big games, surely there are enough lads at that level (National referee's) that could be given the chance. Even the big referees are doing the line more and more. be pretty disappointed if you are assessed well all year and not get a shot at these big games.

I've a big game at end of month to do, pressure to get everything right and keep everyone happy can (for some) be difficult. He's been unfortunate to not give a call here and for the Antrim games against Offaly give a call that wasn't, one proved the reason for a team losing out the other didn't
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

If an Ulster referee missed everything that was missed on Sunday would more people be making more of it?

I'd say they would. Ulster hurling referees just aren't sexy enough for the big games  ;D
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

deiseach

I saw a few football fans on Twitter having a good old snigger at the idea that went around last year at the time of the Seán Cavanagh incident that there ain't any black card worthy incidents in hurling. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on August 13, 2014, 10:45:14 AM
If an Ulster referee missed everything that was missed on Sunday would more people be making more of it?

I'd say they would. Ulster hurling referees just aren't sexy enough for the big games  ;D

Big Declan took some stick from Ger when doing a final in Croke one year. Gave some stick because he was from Ulster and County Down.

Quote from: deiseach on August 13, 2014, 10:47:54 AM
I saw a few football fans on Twitter having a good old snigger at the idea that went around last year at the time of the Seán Cavanagh incident that there ain't any black card worthy incidents in hurling. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Black card might come in next year along with the advantage rule
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Zulu

Quote from: didlyi on August 11, 2014, 10:51:49 PM
I thought he was poor. Conditions had nothing to do with a lot of what he missed. I don't know how a ref can have a good game and miss 3 fairly clear cut reds, whatever about the two face guard pulls O'Grady committed two clear yellow card offences and should have been sent off. He also missed a number of very clear fouls and he also appeared to play advantage when the real advantage was to get the free.

Yes he played advantage but the real advantage was not  to get a free. If it was Richie Hogan would have got a free and not a goal in the first half. He was fouled a few times on the way in. Had a free been blown Limerick might be in the final now.
[/quote]

I disagree entirely. It was only luck that Kilkenny got a goal from that advantage. There was no way the ref saw the foul and said to himself this is a good goal scoring chance so I'll leave it go. When the fouls occurred there was no goal chance so the ref should have blown for the free.