Limerick vs Kilkenny 2014 All Ireland semi final

Started by Dag Dog, August 07, 2014, 11:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 10, 2014, 06:35:13 PM
The trip was clearly outside the large square, yet Duignan and Canning were puzzled as to why no penalty was given. They had the benefit of several replays and still couldn't get it right.

There is also something in the rules that is a bit grey, regarding the start of a foul and where it finishes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Delighted that Hickey proved me wrong.
Limerick lost their shape in the final 10 mins which lost them the game.

They were also guilty of turning into traffic all the time instead of into space where there was usually men free. Small coaching points like that decide matches

theskull1

Wonder why there wasn't more ball targeted toward Dowling. He seen very little play in the second half.

In open play though I thought the better team lost.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Canalman

Great game. That second half seemed to go by in a blink.

That old failing of Limerick's.............. the "crowd pleasing" solo with the ball instead of letting it go quickly imo cost them dearly.

Reffed very well imo but I think there could/should have been 3 red cards in the game............. 2 faceguard interferences and the two strikes in the second half.

Have to point out that Limerick gave an exhibition in how to lose gracefully and went up hugely in my estimation and I rate them highly anyway.

theskull1

A lot of people Ive spoken to, thought the ref was brutal in that he blew nothing.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

gallsman

Quote from: theskull1 on August 11, 2014, 12:51:48 PM
A lot of people Ive spoken to, thought the ref was brutal in that he blew nothing.

On the contrary, in those conditions I thought it made for an excellent game by letting it flow. I was in the lower Cusack on the 65 at the very back row and was still getting battered by the rain. The wind was fierce as well.

Zulu

I thought he was poor. Conditions had nothing to do with a lot of what he missed. I don't know how a ref can have a good game and miss 3 fairly clear cut reds, whatever about the two face guard pulls O'Grady committed two clear yellow card offences and should have been sent off. He also missed a number of very clear fouls and he also appeared to play advantage when the real advantage was to get the free. 

deiseach

The trip was clearly outside the large square, yet Duignan and Canning were puzzled as to why no penalty was given. They had the benefit of several replays and still couldn't get it right.

They had me doubting myself, so certain were they that it was a penalty. The ref was fortunate Limerick didn't get a last-minute goal. Kilkenny folk managed to work themselves into a complete state last year over perceived slights against King Henry's honour. Imagine what they'd be like if they had something real to complain about!

didlyi

I thought he was poor. Conditions had nothing to do with a lot of what he missed. I don't know how a ref can have a good game and miss 3 fairly clear cut reds, whatever about the two face guard pulls O'Grady committed two clear yellow card offences and should have been sent off. He also missed a number of very clear fouls and he also appeared to play advantage when the real advantage was to get the free.
[/quote]

Yes he played advantage but the real advantage was not  to get a free. If it was Richie Hogan would have got a free and not a goal in the first half. He was fouled a few times on the way in. Had a free been blown Limerick might be in the final now.

Rossfan

Maybe the whistle never got delivered.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnneycool

He blew nothing, agreed, but at least he seemed to be even handed in his lack of rule application which he may have been allowing due to the weather and underfoot conditions. The obvious exception was the Donal O'Grady second yellow which Brian Cody can afford to be magnanimous about as they still prevailed, not so sure if the Cats had been on the other end of the scoreline he would have been though!

On the game itself, I have criticised Limerick for some of their distance shooting, but they were far more accurate at it on Sunday and if only they'd had a few more goes at it in the dying minutes instead of passing it laterally and then into a crowded Kilkenny defence although I've a theory that on a windy day its harder to score a point at the hill 16 end due to the fact that the Hogan stand doesn't go all the way to the endline leaving strong winds to blow right across the hill, Kilkenny also hit some bad wides into these goals in the first half, just me and my wild theories...

Also,
The Richie Power goal, the madness of O'Grady to flail at a ball he was miles from for a needless free, secondly Tom Condon allowing Power to get the run on him, FFS, make sure that the forward never gets near the ball especially if it has enough on it to make its way directly to the keeper. The silly mistakes cost them the game, but in all fairness I think they played the better hurling, but Kilkenny had the know how and experience to hang in for the win and thats all that matters..

FWIW, the introduction of Richie Power won KK this game as they were on the back foot to this point, Henry was a rallying point, but Richie did all the hurling. He'll need to be fit for the final..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: deiseach on August 11, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

They had me doubting myself, so certain were they that it was a penalty. The ref was fortunate Limerick didn't get a last-minute goal. Kilkenny folk managed to work themselves into a complete state last year over perceived slights against King Henry's honour. Imagine what they'd be like if they had something real to complain about!

By the letter of the law, Henry should have went for a red card when he came on, butt of the hurl into the ribs right away. No fecking need. I still believe due to the conditions he did rightly bar the glaring  miss on the O'Grady, though he could have been slightly unsighted on that and not a hundred percent sure on which player did it, from the comfort of watching the telly it was easy but it was hammering down and dark, two players converged on Power. Not saying that's the case but could have been a reason
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2014, 11:35:55 AM
By the letter of the law, Henry should have went for a red card when he came on, butt of the hurl into the ribs right away. No fecking need. I still believe due to the conditions he did rightly bar the glaring  miss on the O'Grady, though he could have been slightly unsighted on that and not a hundred percent sure on which player did it, from the comfort of watching the telly it was easy but it was hammering down and dark, two players converged on Power. Not saying that's the case but could have been a reason

It's possible I guess, but he had a big chat with the umpires and they spotted (correctly, in my opinion) that it was outside the area. And even if they didn't spot the strike with the hurley, it was foul with a player clear through on goal. How could that not be a yellow card? Are referees instructed that if two players converge on a player and you can't be sure who committed the foul that no card be issued?

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2014, 04:34:12 PM

It's possible I guess, but he had a big chat with the umpires and they spotted (correctly, in my opinion) that it was outside the area. And even if they didn't spot the strike with the hurley, it was foul with a player clear through on goal. How could that not be a yellow card? Are referees instructed that if two players converge on a player and you can't be sure who committed the foul that no card be issued?
I'd assume they are, otherwise it just becomes a lottery.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2014, 04:34:57 PM
Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2014, 04:34:12 PM

I'd assume they are, otherwise it just becomes a lottery.

You have to be 100 percent sure, if you don't see and for whatever reasons no one within your team (umpires linesmen) sees it then you can't give it. He had a chat with O'Grady also, but could have said I thought it was you but not sure, next thing and you are off!!! As a referee its sometimes difficult to actually get the right person all the time if players converge and tackle someone. He'd have no reason not to yellow card him, makes no difference to him surely