USPGA

Started by ONeill, August 06, 2014, 09:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossie11 on August 12, 2014, 09:03:08 AM
Quote from: heganboy on August 12, 2014, 04:01:06 AM
Quote from: Muck Savage on August 12, 2014, 12:31:43 AM
Quote from: Rossie11 on August 11, 2014, 10:00:17 PM
Mcilroy would do well to take more from Mickelsons book in terms of class and he will have the success as well as having the love of all golf fans across all globe.

Lads,
going to have to go with a significant disagreement on this one and its not just about "class" or "love of all fans". Mickelson is a professional sportsman, of the very highest calibre. He is uniquely talented and can do more with a golf ball and a club than pretty much all of the humans on the planet that have ever tried. Additionally he is a sponsor's dream, he shows up early and prepared for every engagement, he and his caddy are well briefed and prepared and he and Bones can charm a room. He is whip smart, engaging, dedicated and ruthless when the chips are down, pretty much the model professional athlete.

You will however be expecting a but here, and there is one, though I don't know if it relevant. Golf is a singular profession, the essence of the solo athlete, the pressure, the drive, and the focus required to make it as a professional golfer especially one who has one multiple majors in this competitive era leaves very little room for the nice guy. Known on the tour as FIGJAM (f**k I'm good, just ask me) Mickelson is legendary for the singular nature of his focus, which is very much on him. He is also far from loved by all golf fans, and far from loved by his fellow tour players. I do not agree with the putting of athletes on pedestals for anything other than their ability and success, so I very much admire the brilliance with which Mickelson plays the game, but to dismiss McIlroy for some perceived lack of class is, I think, not being aware of the context.

McIlroy is a highly intelligent young man, and he was very aware of the the situation on 18, Mickelson is also no slouch. The rules officials indicated that the last 4 players would be treated as a four ball on the last hole (very possibly after a McIlroy prompt), and were able to tell the US tv officials.

It appears, (as we can't hear what the official says) that Mickelson was informed only that the last twosome would hit up, as Bones says something like "tell them wait 30 seconds and then fire away". It was only when they got to the green after Mickelson and Fowler stood around for a while that the second hit up was made clear to Fowler and Mickelson, who was visibly annoyed by the ruling and was even at odds with the four ball ruling the officials had indicated. Two reasons, one it meant Mickelson had to wait some additional time to play his shot in the quickly disappearing light, but secondly that McIlroy would have more light to read his putt(s) for the PGA, or that he would have to make the call and come back and finish ion the morning knowing what he had to do for a major.

McIlroy's presentation speech was genius, he thanked Mickelson and Fowler for allowing them to play up, (despite the fact that they had been told to play as a 4 ball by the officials which they did not) and calling it a very sporting gesture. This then left Mickelson in no position to bitch in the post presentation interview in which he was very gracious, and indeed came out looking like Mr Magnanimous, so everyone came out a winner right?

Well everyone except Phil and Fowler. Had PM played a normal two with Fowler, he would have and a better read of his chip, which he came damn close to holing out which would have put significant additional pressure on Rory, and also Rory's depth perception in the bunker would have been worse, and his ability to read the putts on the green on 18 would also have been worse. Fowler was also left waiting longer on his putt, and the lip out showed how difficult the reads were becoming. That lip out cost him $500,000 from 2nd to share of third. The ruling tilted the result in Rory's favor, and for that Phil should rightfully be pissed, however his public persona can not allow that to come out on tv (too much) and Rory pre-empting him on the acceptance speech.

Rory is doing very well, he is maturing and growing in the public eye in a very very intense position. It's a tribute to the granite with which he must be hewn, that he is dealing with the year that he's had so well, and is pulling an unbelievable victory out of the bag with not only incredible talent, but also a very sharp mind.

That young man will be around the top of leader boards for a very long time to come and that, well to me that's class.

Never said that Hegan. As a sports fan I would prefer to see him act like Phil on the course rather than the sulking child he can be when things don't go his way.
Saturday afternoon for instance slamming the clubs into the bag on a duffed chip. All of 2013 as another. He is great when he wins and comes across well ala the interview afterwards but
when he is having a bad time he struggles to hide his frustrations. He is maturing all the time but still has a bit to go.

I genuinely hope he does. I have no issue where he is from or what flag he wants to play under. I watch golf and support golfers for their individual talent rather than national pride
Yes I like to see Harrington McDowell and Rory win when in a position to do so but wouldnt have been too bothered if Phil or Fowler snatched it Sunday as they are both brilliant players to watch.

So when you are playing Championship football and you give a miss placed pass or a referee doesn't give you that free you though you earned or you are beat at the end you don't show emotion? FFS wise up, anybody who fecks something up in sport or loses a game will be fecking annoyed. You can lose gracefully but that's only for the cameras you are still hurting as much as the next guy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebigfella

Mcilroy would do well to take more from Mickelsons book in terms of class and he will have the success as well as having the love of all golf fans across all globe.

Lads,
going to have to go with a significant disagreement on this one and its not just about "class" or "love of all fans". Mickelson is a professional sportsman, of the very highest calibre. He is uniquely talented and can do more with a golf ball and a club than pretty much all of the humans on the planet that have ever tried. Additionally he is a sponsor's dream, he shows up early and prepared for every engagement, he and his caddy are well briefed and prepared and he and Bones can charm a room. He is whip smart, engaging, dedicated and ruthless when the chips are down, pretty much the model professional athlete.

You will however be expecting a but here, and there is one, though I don't know if it relevant. Golf is a singular profession, the essence of the solo athlete, the pressure, the drive, and the focus required to make it as a professional golfer especially one who has one multiple majors in this competitive era leaves very little room for the nice guy. Known on the tour as FIGJAM (f**k I'm good, just ask me) Mickelson is legendary for the singular nature of his focus, which is very much on him. He is also far from loved by all golf fans, and far from loved by his fellow tour players. I do not agree with the putting of athletes on pedestals for anything other than their ability and success, so I very much admire the brilliance with which Mickelson plays the game, but to dismiss McIlroy for some perceived lack of class is, I think, not being aware of the context.

McIlroy is a highly intelligent young man, and he was very aware of the the situation on 18, Mickelson is also no slouch. The rules officials indicated that the last 4 players would be treated as a four ball on the last hole (very possibly after a McIlroy prompt), and were able to tell the US tv officials.

It appears, (as we can't hear what the official says) that Mickelson was informed only that the last twosome would hit up, as Bones says something like "tell them wait 30 seconds and then fire away". It was only when they got to the green after Mickelson and Fowler stood around for a while that the second hit up was made clear to Fowler and Mickelson, who was visibly annoyed by the ruling and was even at odds with the four ball ruling the officials had indicated. Two reasons, one it meant Mickelson had to wait some additional time to play his shot in the quickly disappearing light, but secondly that McIlroy would have more light to read his putt(s) for the PGA, or that he would have to make the call and come back and finish ion the morning knowing what he had to do for a major.

McIlroy's presentation speech was genius, he thanked Mickelson and Fowler for allowing them to play up, (despite the fact that they had been told to play as a 4 ball by the officials which they did not) and calling it a very sporting gesture. This then left Mickelson in no position to bitch in the post presentation interview in which he was very gracious, and indeed came out looking like Mr Magnanimous, so everyone came out a winner right?

Well everyone except Phil and Fowler. Had PM played a normal two with Fowler, he would have and a better read of his chip, which he came damn close to holing out which would have put significant additional pressure on Rory, and also Rory's depth perception in the bunker would have been worse, and his ability to read the putts on the green on 18 would also have been worse. Fowler was also left waiting longer on his putt, and the lip out showed how difficult the reads were becoming. That lip out cost him $500,000 from 2nd to share of third. The ruling tilted the result in Rory's favor, and for that Phil should rightfully be pissed, however his public persona can not allow that to come out on tv (too much) and Rory pre-empting him on the acceptance speech.

Rory is doing very well, he is maturing and growing in the public eye in a very very intense position. It's a tribute to the granite with which he must be hewn, that he is dealing with the year that he's had so well, and is pulling an unbelievable victory out of the bag with not only incredible talent, but also a very sharp mind.

That young man will be around the top of leader boards for a very long time to come and that, well to me that's class.

Never said that Hegan. As a sports fan I would prefer to see him act like Phil on the course rather than the sulking child he can be when things don't go his way.
Saturday afternoon for instance slamming the clubs into the bag on a duffed chip.
All of 2013 as another. He is great when he wins and comes across well ala the interview afterwards but
when he is having a bad time he struggles to hide his frustrations. He is maturing all the time but still has a bit to go.

I genuinely hope he does. I have no issue where he is from or what flag he wants to play under. I watch golf and support golfers for their individual talent rather than national pride
Yes I like to see Harrington McDowell and Rory win when in a position to do so but wouldnt have been too bothered if Phil or Fowler snatched it Sunday as they are both brilliant players to watch.

Wise up would you  ::) somebody think of the children too ::)

This is a professional sportsman, number 1 in the world and playing with massive confidence. He fluffed a simple chip and was frustrated; something he would be expecting to hit 100% of the time. Hardly up there Celtic not offering Legia Warsaw a replay  :P

What I don't get..... in GAA there are fights regularly, assaults on team doctors :P ........ but a golfer put a club into his bag a bit heavy handed after making a mistake and he has no class. By that definition, GAA has no class full stop. You are a fool and it's quite clear you have never competed at any sort of level if that is your genuine opinion.

Saffrongael

Lads,

Saturday afternoon for instance slamming the clubs into the bag on a duffed chip. All of 2013 as another. He is great when he wins and comes across well ala the interview afterwards but

Not allowed i am afraid
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Rossie11

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2014, 09:34:40 AM

Lads,

So when you are playing Championship football and you give a miss placed pass or a referee doesn't give you that free you though you earned or you are beat at the end you don't show emotion? FFS wise up, anybody who fecks something up in sport or loses a game will be fecking annoyed. You can lose gracefully but that's only for the cameras you are still hurting as much as the next guy
Thank you that's exactly my point..  :)

Milltown Row2

The bit I've highlighted is very true also. You managed to leave it out

You can lose gracefully but that's only for the cameras you are still hurting as much as the next guy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossie11

Yes and in my view he is too much of a public sulk when things dont go his way.. Remember the Honda Classic??

thebigfella

Quote from: Rossie11 on August 12, 2014, 10:29:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2014, 09:34:40 AM

Lads,

Thank you that's exactly my point..  :)

But he didn't lose???????? He placed a club in the bag with a bit more force than normal, certainly no worse than getting frustrated at a ref's decision that goes against you.

supersub

Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 12, 2014, 09:32:29 AM
Golfer in being annoyed shocker when hitting a bad shot, Garcia is one of the worst for it, slamming clubs into bunkers, Bubba dropping 'F bombs' etc.. To me that shows true emotion and not acting like some of the robots on tour. Rory is a credit to himself.

Indeed, has come a long way from the likes of this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/21635102

thebigfella

If Rory McIroy is a bad sportsman then what is Bubba Watson? First refusing to take part in the charity long drive comp, then turning up and hitting 4 iron. Swearing on the course just because it was wet. Abusing his caddy. Refusing to let the media see what clubs he was carrying. Not participating in press conferences etc........

Used to like Bubba but seems the mask is slipping.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossie11 on August 12, 2014, 11:07:26 AM
Yes and in my view he is too much of a public sulk when things dont go his way.. Remember the Honda Classic??

Click on Google images and you'll be able to see many photos of any golfer looking annoyed/sulking. It's fecking sport, anybody devoid of showing emotion is a robot. If this is your only reason for disliking him then get a life

Rossie11

Quote from: thebigfella on August 12, 2014, 11:13:00 AM
If Rory McIroy is a bad sportsman then what is Bubba Watson? First refusing to take part in the charity long drive comp, then turning up and hitting 4 iron. Swearing on the course just because it was wet. Abusing his caddy. Refusing to let the media see what clubs he was carrying. Not participating in press conferences etc........

Used to like Bubba but seems the mask is slipping.

Another man in need of a dentist!!
He was like dog all weekend. Is he a buddy of Dustin Johnson??

Milltown Row2

It's a good thing he got off on the insider dealing scandal.

thebigfella

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2014, 11:25:49 AM
It's a good thing he got off on the insider dealing scandal.

Or insulting Irish women too

DennistheMenace

Bubba is an enigma, but he certainly has had his fair share of negative publicity recently with his on course behaviour and his treatment of his caddy Ted Scott. Not to mention his attitude towards playing in Europe and comments on his ignorance of French tourist sites which on it's own isn't a big thing but it was his flippancy that wound people up the wrong way.

Rickie Fowler comes across very well, a superb golfer to boot and once McIlroy has an off Major, I've no doubt he'll win one or two. Just a class below McIlroy but everyone is at the minute.

Rossie11

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2014, 11:14:50 AM
Quote from: Rossie11 on August 12, 2014, 11:07:26 AM

Click on Google images and you'll be able to see many photos of any golfer looking annoyed/sulking. It's fecking sport, anybody devoid of showing emotion is a robot. If this is your only reason for disliking him then get a life
Where did I say I didnt like him ?? Said i'd prefer him to be less sulkier on the course. Jeez the fan club are ratty today.
See ye at the Masters 2015 thread..