USPGA

Started by ONeill, August 06, 2014, 09:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I've just seen an interview with Mickelson on Golf Central, straight after the final round. They asked about hitting up on the last hole and he said they do that all the time on the tour if darkness is a problem. He said it was unusual to let them hit the second shot, but it wasn't a problem. Nobody wanted to come back tomorrow for a couple of shots.

Non issue.

Puckoon

As I listened to a report this morning Hardy, they suggested that Phil backed off how he really felt about it in order to not embarrass the PGA, or embarrass Rory. Another decent move by Phil, but by accounts from his caddy, the long term CBS reporters he was privately very annoyed by the situation.

Hardy

OK. Class from him then.

Orior

This talk about what would happen if the roles were reversed - I have never Rory behave any other way than a true gent (except for the time he dumped his two girlfriends).

By the way, Rory's heart was in his mouth after his drive on the 18th. He missed the hazard by a few feet. Now that would have made for a very exciting finish.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

Quote from: Orior on August 11, 2014, 09:17:39 PM
This talk about what would happen if the roles were reversed - I have never Rory behave any other way than a true gent (except for the time he dumped his two girlfriends).

By the way, Rory's heart was in his mouth after his drive on the 18th. He missed the hazard by a few feet. Now that would have made for a very exciting finish.
Jammy hoor.
Btw not sure if it has been mentioned but Phil Micks chip at the hole at the 18th was magnificent. It was an awful shame it didn't go in.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Rossie11

Mickelson is a class act on the course. Despite the pressure of the situation not once did he try and bully his direct opponent.
He was a like a mentor to Fowler bringing him along to ensure everyone was in with a fighting chance come the finish. The way he waited to praise him after one huge putt to save par highlighted it.

Would Woods have done that? Would Rory have done that if he was in a 2ball with say Shane Lowry?
Not a chance..
Tiger and now Rory both have this single-mindedness or ruthless streak which all winners have but Mcilroy would do well to take more from Mickelsons book in terms of class and he will have the success as well as having the love of all golf fans across all globe.

magpie seanie

I just have to say I think Mickleson is fantastic. Didn't get to see it last night but followed text commentary and the fist bumps with Fowler - well it's just unbelievable in the situation and fantastic. Basically if the kid beat him then fair play to him but they were going to rip the place up in the process.

Have been a fan of Rory's since I first heard of him as a kid and him winning the West here twice in a row I think. Think he gets a rough deal at times but some of his golf when on song is awesome. He is in a rich vein of form at present and has the mental side of his game sorted apparently. After the Masters Sunday disaster you'd have had to question if he could recover but that will only be a footnote in history now.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Orior on August 11, 2014, 09:17:39 PM

True gents dump women too. It's much better than staying with them if you shouldn't. Or if it's f**king up your career.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossie11 on August 11, 2014, 10:00:17 PM
Mickelson is a class act on the course. Despite the pressure of the situation not once did he try and bully his direct opponent.
He was a like a mentor to Fowler bringing him along to ensure everyone was in with a fighting chance come the finish. The way he waited to praise him after one huge putt to save par highlighted it.

Would Woods have done that? Would Rory have done that if he was in a 2ball with say Shane Lowry?
Not a chance..

Tiger and now Rory both have this single-mindedness or ruthless streak which all winners have but Mcilroy would do well to take more from Mickelsons book in terms of class and he will have the success as well as having the love of all golf fans across all globe.

How the feck would you know? Pure shit talk
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Muck Savage

Not a chance..

He'll never have that when he has people complaining which country is called out during introduction or flag he has next to his name.

Every winner has to be focused and a selfish mentality. Phil's a nice guy, was 34 when he won his first major, Rory has 4 at 24.  When Tiger was like this at 24 everyone praised his laser focus, with Rory people in Ireland want to call it bad sportsmanship. Hard for him to win.

heganboy

Quote from: Muck Savage on August 12, 2014, 12:31:43 AM
Mcilroy would do well to take more from Mickelsons book in terms of class and he will have the success as well as having the love of all golf fans across all globe.

Lads,
going to have to go with a significant disagreement on this one and its not just about "class" or "love of all fans". Mickelson is a professional sportsman, of the very highest calibre. He is uniquely talented and can do more with a golf ball and a club than pretty much all of the humans on the planet that have ever tried. Additionally he is a sponsor's dream, he shows up early and prepared for every engagement, he and his caddy are well briefed and prepared and he and Bones can charm a room. He is whip smart, engaging, dedicated and ruthless when the chips are down, pretty much the model professional athlete.

You will however be expecting a but here, and there is one, though I don't know if it relevant. Golf is a singular profession, the essence of the solo athlete, the pressure, the drive, and the focus required to make it as a professional golfer especially one who has one multiple majors in this competitive era leaves very little room for the nice guy. Known on the tour as FIGJAM (f**k I'm good, just ask me) Mickelson is legendary for the singular nature of his focus, which is very much on him. He is also far from loved by all golf fans, and far from loved by his fellow tour players. I do not agree with the putting of athletes on pedestals for anything other than their ability and success, so I very much admire the brilliance with which Mickelson plays the game, but to dismiss McIlroy for some perceived lack of class is, I think, not being aware of the context.

McIlroy is a highly intelligent young man, and he was very aware of the the situation on 18, Mickelson is also no slouch. The rules officials indicated that the last 4 players would be treated as a four ball on the last hole (very possibly after a McIlroy prompt), and were able to tell the US tv officials.

It appears, (as we can't hear what the official says) that Mickelson was informed only that the last twosome would hit up, as Bones says something like "tell them wait 30 seconds and then fire away". It was only when they got to the green after Mickelson and Fowler stood around for a while that the second hit up was made clear to Fowler and Mickelson, who was visibly annoyed by the ruling and was even at odds with the four ball ruling the officials had indicated. Two reasons, one it meant Mickelson had to wait some additional time to play his shot in the quickly disappearing light, but secondly that McIlroy would have more light to read his putt(s) for the PGA, or that he would have to make the call and come back and finish ion the morning knowing what he had to do for a major.

McIlroy's presentation speech was genius, he thanked Mickelson and Fowler for allowing them to play up, (despite the fact that they had been told to play as a 4 ball by the officials which they did not) and calling it a very sporting gesture. This then left Mickelson in no position to bitch in the post presentation interview in which he was very gracious, and indeed came out looking like Mr Magnanimous, so everyone came out a winner right?

Well everyone except Phil and Fowler. Had PM played a normal two with Fowler, he would have and a better read of his chip, which he came damn close to holing out which would have put significant additional pressure on Rory, and also Rory's depth perception in the bunker would have been worse, and his ability to read the putts on the green on 18 would also have been worse. Fowler was also left waiting longer on his putt, and the lip out showed how difficult the reads were becoming. That lip out cost him $500,000 from 2nd to share of third. The ruling tilted the result in Rory's favor, and for that Phil should rightfully be pissed, however his public persona can not allow that to come out on tv (too much) and Rory pre-empting him on the acceptance speech.

Rory is doing very well, he is maturing and growing in the public eye in a very very intense position. It's a tribute to the granite with which he must be hewn, that he is dealing with the year that he's had so well, and is pulling an unbelievable victory out of the bag with not only incredible talent, but also a very sharp mind.

That young man will be around the top of leader boards for a very long time to come and that, well to me that's class.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

JimStynes

Very well put. A fella from down the road that is a sports superstar now and probably one of the most recognisable people on the planet at the minute. He has done well, fair play to him!

Muck Savage

Very well put Heganboy. I was going to write simlar today to didnt have the time. Putting that into the speach knowing they were pissed helped to defuse the situation. Funny thing is Fowler had just given his interview to the TV and said they were both annoyed about the 2nd shot.
Rory kept his head when he could have got caught up in the situation and lost it. He showed a lot of maturity sunday and has improved in this department most this year.

Rossie11

Quote from: heganboy on August 12, 2014, 04:01:06 AM
Quote from: Muck Savage on August 12, 2014, 12:31:43 AM
Mcilroy would do well to take more from Mickelsons book in terms of class and he will have the success as well as having the love of all golf fans across all globe.

Lads,
going to have to go with a significant disagreement on this one and its not just about "class" or "love of all fans". Mickelson is a professional sportsman, of the very highest calibre. He is uniquely talented and can do more with a golf ball and a club than pretty much all of the humans on the planet that have ever tried. Additionally he is a sponsor's dream, he shows up early and prepared for every engagement, he and his caddy are well briefed and prepared and he and Bones can charm a room. He is whip smart, engaging, dedicated and ruthless when the chips are down, pretty much the model professional athlete.

You will however be expecting a but here, and there is one, though I don't know if it relevant. Golf is a singular profession, the essence of the solo athlete, the pressure, the drive, and the focus required to make it as a professional golfer especially one who has one multiple majors in this competitive era leaves very little room for the nice guy. Known on the tour as FIGJAM (f**k I'm good, just ask me) Mickelson is legendary for the singular nature of his focus, which is very much on him. He is also far from loved by all golf fans, and far from loved by his fellow tour players. I do not agree with the putting of athletes on pedestals for anything other than their ability and success, so I very much admire the brilliance with which Mickelson plays the game, but to dismiss McIlroy for some perceived lack of class is, I think, not being aware of the context.

McIlroy is a highly intelligent young man, and he was very aware of the the situation on 18, Mickelson is also no slouch. The rules officials indicated that the last 4 players would be treated as a four ball on the last hole (very possibly after a McIlroy prompt), and were able to tell the US tv officials.

It appears, (as we can't hear what the official says) that Mickelson was informed only that the last twosome would hit up, as Bones says something like "tell them wait 30 seconds and then fire away". It was only when they got to the green after Mickelson and Fowler stood around for a while that the second hit up was made clear to Fowler and Mickelson, who was visibly annoyed by the ruling and was even at odds with the four ball ruling the officials had indicated. Two reasons, one it meant Mickelson had to wait some additional time to play his shot in the quickly disappearing light, but secondly that McIlroy would have more light to read his putt(s) for the PGA, or that he would have to make the call and come back and finish ion the morning knowing what he had to do for a major.

McIlroy's presentation speech was genius, he thanked Mickelson and Fowler for allowing them to play up, (despite the fact that they had been told to play as a 4 ball by the officials which they did not) and calling it a very sporting gesture. This then left Mickelson in no position to bitch in the post presentation interview in which he was very gracious, and indeed came out looking like Mr Magnanimous, so everyone came out a winner right?

Well everyone except Phil and Fowler. Had PM played a normal two with Fowler, he would have and a better read of his chip, which he came damn close to holing out which would have put significant additional pressure on Rory, and also Rory's depth perception in the bunker would have been worse, and his ability to read the putts on the green on 18 would also have been worse. Fowler was also left waiting longer on his putt, and the lip out showed how difficult the reads were becoming. That lip out cost him $500,000 from 2nd to share of third. The ruling tilted the result in Rory's favor, and for that Phil should rightfully be pissed, however his public persona can not allow that to come out on tv (too much) and Rory pre-empting him on the acceptance speech.

Rory is doing very well, he is maturing and growing in the public eye in a very very intense position. It's a tribute to the granite with which he must be hewn, that he is dealing with the year that he's had so well, and is pulling an unbelievable victory out of the bag with not only incredible talent, but also a very sharp mind.

That young man will be around the top of leader boards for a very long time to come and that, well to me that's class.

Never said that Hegan. As a sports fan I would prefer to see him act like Phil on the course rather than the sulking child he can be when things don't go his way.
Saturday afternoon for instance slamming the clubs into the bag on a duffed chip. All of 2013 as another. He is great when he wins and comes across well ala the interview afterwards but
when he is having a bad time he struggles to hide his frustrations. He is maturing all the time but still has a bit to go.

I genuinely hope he does. I have no issue where he is from or what flag he wants to play under. I watch golf and support golfers for their individual talent rather than national pride
Yes I like to see Harrington McDowell and Rory win when in a position to do so but wouldnt have been too bothered if Phil or Fowler snatched it Sunday as they are both brilliant players to watch.

DennistheMenace

Golfer in being annoyed shocker when hitting a bad shot, Garcia is one of the worst for it, slamming clubs into bunkers, Bubba dropping 'F bombs' etc.. To me that shows true emotion and not acting like some of the robots on tour. Rory is a credit to himself.