Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Well now we know that we have a team of 20 warriors, yesterday has put to bed the daft notion that we were soft, without bottle and fight. This Mayo team reminds me a lot of the Munster team going after their first Heineken Cup, keeping at it year after year until it finally happened. That team was also full of warriors. As for the red card, as Jinxy said earlier, no player should be putting a ref. in the position where he has to make a decision like that. As for Andy Moran, i cant see him starting on Saturday, we have had no proper "impact" subs all year, we have brought on subs who did not change the course of a game the same way other teams can, once Moran came on, the whole team and support got a lift and the players on the pitch got an injection of new confidence and belief, had Moran being on from the start and we were 5 points down in the second half, who would have come off the bench to give us the inspiration that was needed?. There were a lot of leaders yesterday, but Alan Dillon was immense again yesterday, the desire he has for the game and the jersey is something else. Roll on Limerick, there will be nothing soft for us down there, but this team never gives up and as supporters its all we can ask for.

Speaking about Limerick, it is now getting to the "embarrassing" stage for us a county, stop moaning and get on with it, we are not bloody walking to Limerick, not a peep out of Kerry this morning as usual, i was listening to Newstalk earlier, we had some Gallagher gombeen on with Pat Kenny, talking about persecution and Michael Davitt..FFS,

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 25, 2014, 12:40:38 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2014, 11:45:51 AM
As for Limerick? I wouldn't care if it was in Killarney, Kerry had their chance yesterday and blew it.

hmmm...wouldn't be too sure about that. We were not the ones that were 5 points up with 5 mins to go.

We undoubtedly should have done better with the extra man but some of you lads seem to be jumping to some hasty conclusions and ignoring the historical evidence  of the "advantage" conferred by the extra man in gaelic games. This is not soccer you know!

I think Mayo are better but we definitely haven't "blown" anything.

Mayo play a game built on high up the field pressure, they are literally the one team at this stage of the championship that can do without a player to make that happen. They go man-to-man and without one man it left Kerry with options to move the ball. Did Kerry win 50% of their own kickouts in the second half? Maybe, just about! Thats why Kerry have blown it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

I just watched the first half an hour of the second half there at lunch.
Its ridiculous the fouling thats done on AOS. Literally everytime he had the ball he was foulded by two Kerry men, sometimes three. The one where he looks for the card is after Moran fouls him AGAIN, players have to be protected FFS

RE: Donaghy - JH has a full week to think about that. I would imagine that as soon as Star goes in FF then either Barry Moran or SOS will be in on top of him to break the ball.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Jinxy

Other than Cluxton in the league, when was the last time somebody was sent off for kicking/attempting to kick an opponent?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2014, 02:34:47 PM
Other than Cluxton in the league, when was the last time somebody was sent off for kicking/attempting to kick an opponent?

I recall Ciarán Duff in 1983, but that really was a kick.
MWWSI 2017

StephenC

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2014, 02:34:47 PM

Cullivan from Cavan had one of the great kicks of all time against Kevin Cassidy in Breffni in 2011.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on August 25, 2014, 02:20:51 PM
Speaking about Limerick, it is now getting to the "embarrassing" stage for us a county, stop moaning and get on with it, we are not bloody walking to Limerick, not a peep out of Kerry this morning as usual, i was listening to Newstalk earlier, we had some Gallagher gombeen on with Pat Kenny, talking about persecution and Michael Davitt..FFS,

Spot on - Mayo need to focus on the replay and drop this sideshow
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

blanketattack

Quote from: blanketattack on August 25, 2014, 01:26:27 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 25, 2014, 12:11:29 PM
if Coldrick was actually being consistent Buckley should have been sent off too as punched Keegan.  and as yellow card saidm the 'minimal contact for Oc onnors penallty . both would have been harsh but isnt that what we are talking about/

Buckley punched the ball, hardly a red card offense. Glad Buckley just brushed off the kicking incident. A fair few other players would have gone down as if they had been shot.
Every bit as much an attempt to strike  as Keegans and under Coldrick Rules he should have walked ,es ;)pecially  as it was after the whistle and designed to agravate the situation . and what do you know it worked !

From the GAA rules:
Noting Infractions
1. To hold an opponent with the hand(s).
2. To use the fist on or around the body of an opponent for the purpose of dispossessing him of the ball.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: blanketattack on August 25, 2014, 03:02:11 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 25, 2014, 01:26:27 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 25, 2014, 12:11:29 PM
if Coldrick was actually being consistent Buckley should have been sent off too as punched Keegan.  and as yellow card saidm the 'minimal contact for Oc onnors penallty . both would have been harsh but isnt that what we are talking about/

Buckley punched the ball, hardly a red card offense. Glad Buckley just brushed off the kicking incident. A fair few other players would have gone down as if they had been shot.
Every bit as much an attempt to strike  as Keegans and under Coldrick Rules he should have walked ,es ;)pecially  as it was after the whistle and designed to agravate the situation . and what do you know it worked !

From the GAA rules:
Noting Infractions
1. To hold an opponent with the hand(s).
2. To use the fist on or around the body of an opponent for the purpose of dispossessing him of the ball.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.
The play had stopped, the referee had blown the whistle when he punched the ball into his stomach, therefore he couldn't have been trying to dispossess him of the ball as the game wasnt in progress. Thats what Keegan reacted to, stupidly clearly.
Point is, we just want consistency. Yes, Coldrick was right to send Keegan off under the rules, but if hes going to decide to follow the rules exactly at one part of the game, then why not do so exactly for the entire game? We're either following the rule book or we're not. Is that to be the next technological advancement in Croke Park, a big neon sign that tells us all when the rules are being EXACTLY followed and when they are not?
It would really help keep my blood pressure down if that could be done, thanks lads. sound.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2014, 02:24:58 PM
As for Limerick? I wouldn't care if it was in Killarney, Kerry had their chance yesterday and blew it.

hmmm...wouldn't be too sure about that. We were not the ones that were 5 points up with 5 mins to go.

We undoubtedly should have done better with the extra man but some of you lads seem to be jumping to some hasty conclusions and ignoring the historical evidence  of the "advantage" conferred by the extra man in gaelic games. This is not soccer you know!

Mayo play a game built on high up the field pressure, they are literally the one team at this stage of the championship that can do without a player to make that happen. They go man-to-man and without one man it left Kerry with options to move the ball. Did Kerry win 50% of their own kickouts in the second half? Maybe, just about! Thats why Kerry have blown it

Yeah, your right of course. What was I thinking. Of course Mayo will now win the replay. They almost won with 14 men so its a definite that they'll win the next day with 15. Football is such a simple game when you get down to it.

Jinxy

What changes will be made in light of Keegans suspension?
Barrett back in with Cunniffe moving out to HB line?
Parsons to start?

screenexile

I don't know what this Mayo man to man crap's about it was pretty clear to everybody yesterday that they abandoned the man for man thing until Keegan went off. They decided to use a sweeper against O'Donoghue and it backfired as their players were in an alien shape and weren't able to transfer the ball as quickly as they usually do. The sending off was a blessing as it made them revert to their normal game which suited them.

The fact Mayo had expended so much energy getting into a 5 point lead and the introduction of Donaghy tipped the game back in Kerry's favour for the last few minutes. Having said that I would be confident that Mayo will have learned more from the game than Kerry and will win on Saturday. However that will not matter much as they'll be cannon fodder for the Dubs. Mayo struggled to deal with 1 decent Kerry forward yesterday how are they going to plan for Dublin's 6 (10 including Rock, Mannion, Costello, Andrews who will likely come off the bench).

macdanger2

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 25, 2014, 03:13:34 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2014, 02:24:58 PM

Yeah, your right of course. What was I thinking. Of course Mayo will now win the replay. They almost won with 14 men so its a definite that they'll win the next day with 15. Football is such a simple game when you get down to it.

Sounds like the yerras are rattled  ;D

Jinxy

Well, I would have thought Feeney was a better HB option than Cunniffe alright but he doesn't seem to be in the mix.
Will Barrett be fit?

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2014, 03:16:47 PM
It was an emotional day and most of us. At half time thought this was the end of this core of this group of players. I have to say i did not enjoy yesterdays game. Relief was my main emotion yesterday. The Keegan sending off at the time had double ramifications. Firstly losing him for the second half and us down to 14 and secondly losing him for the final. The sending off changed the game and despite what people think that the sending off inspired Mayo, I actually believe that Mayo gear up for a big third quarter anyway. This has been the form all year. So I don't think the sending off was the inspiration most think. In fact it shagged out our defense and Left JOD a freer role. I felt we would have definitely won with 15 and so I see it as a chance missed in getting this tie over and done with. That said I am still glad we are still in the Championship.

Gaa referees are gas they make a big decision like yesterday and spend the rest of the game evening things up. Mayo could do whatever they liked in the second half and got most of the marginal decisions. This was no doubt talked about in the dressing room at half time. Kerry like most Kerry teams naturally would see shame in losing to a Mayo team and even more losing to only 14. A sense of fear gripped them in the second half and if it was not for the older heads that were brought on that added more calm than guile for the last 10 minutes they would have lost. 

Both teams will be brought on by yesterdays game. Kerry will have to be worried that that they had an extra man for a whole half and Mayo had lost one of it best players. The this is not soccer quote has been thrown about. But the extra man came home to roost when Mayo became tired in closing out the game. Not sure if this was to blame. We had difficulty closing out the Cork game aswell.

Both Managers have shown their hand. Match fitness, Condition and Form of players as well as tactics cannot be faked for the next outing. Both Managers will really know the weak points in each others amour.

Horan gets allot of flack for Mayo people (who have short memories). But yesterday he got allot right. His subs were good. They all added to our performance. Conroy, Andy and Parsons held their own and added to our display yesterday!

Of the two Managers interviewed after the match, Horan looked the more pleased and I'd say the asking for the game to be rescheduled on Saturday week would have been a dream fixture. As the winners would have just 2 weeks until the final and almost a perfect run in! Anyway not to be, so it Limerick here we come.

Ger Cafferky by all accounts signalled to the line that he was injured yesterday but was left on.

That wasn't a good move