Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

Gas really in that the conclusion of the Keegan episode is that he can kick a point on the run from 40m but his attempt (cos we all accept at this stage that he didn't connect with his foot and it was just an 'attempt') to kick an opponent from 12 inches away was a failure..... should certainly be there in the 'Miss-of-the-season category'.
All that kick represented was a 'piss-off punching me and get out of my way and let me get on with it' .... no intent to cause hurt.
And of course Johny Buckley didn't get sent off for the 'baby' punch (obviously the correct decision).

And what i can't fathom is in the context of Keegans red card how anyone could possibly say that COC's missed goal chance was not a penalty. His arm was pulled and contributed to his losing control and ultimately shooting a few inches wide.

As for those moaning about Aidan O'Shea ...... many times during the game i was reminded of when i played U-12 football and we had 1 guy playing who was massive compared to everyone else and could play ball. He wasn't as effective as he should have been though cos everyone on the opposing team was allowed to pull lumps out of him without frees being awarded cos he was so big and strong.
Same with O'Shea yeserday .... consistently fouled every time he tried to carry the ball but never a free given cos he was strong enough to struggle on. Any wonder he was looking for the ref to do something

blanketattack

Quote from: rosnarun on August 25, 2014, 12:11:29 PM
if Coldrick was actually being consistent Buckley should have been sent off too as punched Keegan.  and as yellow card saidm the 'minimal contact for Oc onnors penallty . both would have been harsh but isnt that what we are talking about/

Buckley punched the ball, hardly a red card offense. Glad Buckley just brushed off the kicking incident. A fair few other players would have gone down as if they had been shot.

AZOffaly

My 'conclusion' to the Lee Keegan incident is that he kicked out, and he gave the referee a decision to make. The referee saw it as an attempted kick, and gave him a red card as prescribed in the rules. It's unfortunate and it certainly seems an unfortunate way to get yourself sent off, but ultimately that's what he did.

AZOffaly

Quote from: blanketattack on August 25, 2014, 01:26:27 PM
if Coldrick was actually being consistent Buckley should have been sent off too as punched Keegan.  and as yellow card saidm the 'minimal contact for Oc onnors penallty . both would have been harsh but isnt that what we are talking about/

Buckley punched the ball, hardly a red card offense. Glad Buckley just brushed off the kicking incident. A fair few other players would have gone down as if they had been shot.

True, but Donnacha Walsh didn't exactly 'brush it off'. I thought he was doing a Kerry Set at one stage showing Coldrick what happened.

Main Street

Quote from: Chimley on August 25, 2014, 12:27:07 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 25, 2014, 12:18:10 PM
I thought o Connor slipped for that, no doubt in my mind it was not a penalty.

Correct. Never a penalty. I was close to this incident and he was off balance and slipped. He may have been anticipating contact from the keeper.
It looked like a self inflicted slip but it wasn't. Just as O'Connor (at an angle) was about to strike the ball, he received a tug on the arm from the goalie causing him to slip. I thought it was a penalty. Although the tug was softish, it was 100% the difference between him striking the ball cleanly and slipping.

I wouldn't write off Kerry just yet and I'd expect a close game in the replay. both teams have their cards and no doubt it will be fascinating to see how they are played next time.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Main Street on August 25, 2014, 01:28:02 PM
Quote from: Chimley on August 25, 2014, 12:27:07 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 25, 2014, 12:18:10 PM
I thought o Connor slipped for that, no doubt in my mind it was not a penalty.

Correct. Never a penalty. I was close to this incident and he was off balance and slipped. He may have been anticipating contact from the keeper.
it looked like a self inflicted slip but it wasn't.
I wouldn't be so definitive, just as O'Connor (at an angle) was about to strike the ball, he received a tug on the arm from the goalie causing him to slip. I thought it was a penalty. Although the tug was softish, it was 100% the difference between him striking the ball cleanly and slipping.

I wouldn't write off Kerry just yet and I'd expect a close game in the replay. both teams have their cards and no doubt it will be fascinating to see how they are played next time.

I actually agree with this. I said penalty as soon as it happened. It would have looked very soft, but if you get a tug like that as you are preparing to shoot, you can easily 'slip'.

Farrandeelin

Still have one area of concern after yesterday's game. Our number 3 position. Am I the only one who thought Cafferkey was destroyed by Paul Geaney yesterday. The arrival of Donaghy didn't help matters either. I know Kevin Keane replaced him with a few minutes to go, but I am really worried that all Donaghy has to do is to stand on the edge of the square the whole day long the next day and catch high balls going in on top of him. Massive performance from everyone else.

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 25, 2014, 01:30:16 PM
Still have one area of concern after yesterday's game. Our number 3 position. Am I the only one who thought Cafferkey was destroyed by Paul Geaney yesterday. The arrival of Donaghy didn't help matters either. I know Kevin Keane replaced him with a few minutes to go, but I am really worried that all Donaghy has to do is to stand on the edge of the square the whole day long the next day and catch high balls going in on top of him. Massive performance from everyone else.

Was poor alright but he was only subbed because he cramped up in the second half, even before the Donaghy catch. Still an excellent FB so there's no need to over-think it.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 25, 2014, 01:26:53 PM
My 'conclusion' to the Lee Keegan incident is that he kicked out, and he gave the referee a decision to make. The referee saw it as an attempted kick, and gave him a red card as prescribed in the rules. It's unfortunate and it certainly seems an unfortunate way to get yourself sent off, but ultimately that's what he did.

Even though it was only a kickín, he had to go.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

shawshank

Quote from: blast05 on August 25, 2014, 01:24:00 PM
Gas really in that the conclusion of the Keegan episode is that he can kick a point on the run from 40m but his attempt (cos we all accept at this stage that he didn't connect with his foot and it was just an 'attempt') to kick an opponent from 12 inches away was a failure..... should certainly be there in the 'Miss-of-the-season category'.
All that kick represented was a 'piss-off punching me and get out of my way and let me get on with it' .... no intent to cause hurt.
And of course Johny Buckley didn't get sent off for the 'baby' punch (obviously the correct decision).

And what i can't fathom is in the context of Keegans red card how anyone could possibly say that COC's missed goal chance was not a penalty. His arm was pulled and contributed to his losing control and ultimately shooting a few inches wide.

As for those moaning about Aidan O'Shea ...... many times during the game i was reminded of when i played U-12 football and we had 1 guy playing who was massive compared to everyone else and could play ball. He wasn't as effective as he should have been though cos everyone on the opposing team was allowed to pull lumps out of him without frees being awarded cos he was so big and strong.
Same with O'Shea yeserday .... consistently fouled every time he tried to carry the ball but never a free given cos he was strong enough to struggle on. Any wonder he was looking for the ref to do something

I couldn't disagree with one word of that post. I don't think it was penalty, but in the context of the red card it was, another ref making a balls of a big games, they are the scurage of football

Mac2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 25, 2014, 01:30:16 PM
One of the O'Sheas should have been put on Donaghy when he came on, Cafferky was never going to compete with him under high ball, in addition he was injured and should have been hauled off earlier. I'd say Fitzmaurice will be tempted to throw him on much earlier the next day, Horan has a couple of tough calls to make the next day too.  Will he go with Gibbons again, he looked well off the pace in that first half. Can we afford to leave Andy off the starting 15, he's great off the bench but he's also a serious man to have on the pitch for throw in.

Jinxy

Quote from: Mac2 on August 25, 2014, 01:44:54 PM
One of the O'Sheas should have been put on Donaghy when he came on, Cafferky was never going to compete with him under high ball, in addition he was injured and should have been hauled off earlier. I'd say Fitzmaurice will be tempted to throw him on much earlier the next day, Horan has a couple of tough calls to make the next day too.  Will he go with Gibbons again, he looked well off the pace in that first half. Can we afford to leave Andy off the starting 15, he's great off the bench but he's also a serious man to have on the pitch for throw in.

Lookit, just listen to me.
I'm nearly always right.

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2014, 02:10:38 PM
I think Moran would more effective coming off the bench for the last 20 minutes when defenders aren't as fresh.
He has a good football brain, but he needs to be on the field and at his freshest when the game is there to be won.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mac2

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2014, 01:49:59 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on August 25, 2014, 01:44:54 PM

Lookit, just listen to me.
I'm nearly always right.

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2014, 02:10:38 PM
I think Moran would more effective coming off the bench for the last 20 minutes when defenders aren't as fresh.
He has a good football brain, but he needs to be on the field and at his freshest when the game is there to be won.
Thanks for your interest in Mayo football I'll convey that to JH.

muppet

I was absolutely fuming with Coldrick yesterday. The two marginal decision in the first half went 100% Kerry's way, COC's pull by the Kerry keeper and the sending off. Then for the entire game Kerry's tactical fouling went unpunished. Yes we got frees, but that is all. Guys like Declan O'Sullivan and Donncha Walsh should not have finished the game, such was their persistant fouling. But Coldrick ignored it all.

On the plus side, what a performance from the 14 men. AOS has incredible heart and dragged us back from the dead, he takes a huge amount of punishment with no protection from referees, yet people still criticise him. COC, Boyle & Dillon were very good but I feel that the lack of a reliable left-footed free-taker is a serious problem.

Feeney should start at 5 the next day. And every time Donncha Walsh deliberately fouls a Mayo player, the other 14 should rush to the ref to highlight it.
MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

every bi

Every bit as much an attempt to strike  as Keegans and under Coldrick Rules he should have walked ,especially  as it was after the whistle and designed to agravate the situation . and what do you know it worked !
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere