Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Hardy on August 24, 2014, 05:35:38 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on August 24, 2014, 05:25:03 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 24, 2014, 05:22:24 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on August 24, 2014, 05:20:56 PM
Lyster shitting himself there with a bit of controversy from Brolly, who was bang on the money by the way

What did Joe say?

Saying that the Gaels of Ireland own Croke Park, That it was a disgrace that replay was in Limerick next week due to Croke Park being in use for American Football & that Gaa going down a dangerous road of money dictating everything

Populist bullshite. But he's entitled to his opinion and he'd have been right if he'd tackled Lyster for taking the status quo line as usual. The only time you ever hear him express an opinion is when a panellist says anything against the official Croke Park line. A joke of a journalist.

Spot on.  The job of a presenter is to encourage debate. Any time the topic looks like its about too veer off into something even mildly contorvesial he kills the debate stone dead, football or hurling. So frustrating to watch. You could almost see the beads on sweat on his forehead when Joe went on his rant (with valid points)

BennyCake

Quote from: Kidder81 on August 24, 2014, 05:25:03 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 24, 2014, 05:22:24 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on August 24, 2014, 05:20:56 PM
Lyster shitting himself there with a bit of controversy from Brolly, who was bang on the money by the way

What did Joe say?

Saying that the Gaels of Ireland own Croke Park, That it was a disgrace that replay was in Limerick next week due to Croke Park being in use for American Football & that Gaa going down a dangerous road of money dictating everything

Aye, American feckin' football. Scheduling that load of shite in Croke Park at the busiest time of the year!

seafoid

If the Dubs can walk all over Donegal they'll be unbackable and it might just be what Mayo need assuming they can finish the  Kerry job with 15 men and mojo on from the throw in. 

Sidney

Having the replay in Limerick will make it a unique one-off occasion. It's no harm to take it out of Croke Park in my view.

Would I be right in saying that Lee Keegan will be eligible for the final if Mayo win the replay, whereas he wouldn't have been had Mayo had won today?

Could end up benefitting them - Ii think Mayo will win the replay as they're a fitter, more powerful and pacier team than Kerry. That second half fightback was truly stirring stuff, although I was certain Kerry were going to win it at the end.

Today's match was a complete emotional rollercoaster, and I'm only from Dublin. Magnificent. Roll on Super Saturday.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on August 24, 2014, 05:57:47 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 24, 2014, 05:54:30 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 24, 2014, 05:06:52 PM
Hawkeye ended up saving Mayo.

Mayo saved Mayo!

Roscommon saved Mayo.

Some game.
Roscommon should take Mayo's place in the final  if Mayo win the replay. The 1925 operation.

Collie Brolly

Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2014, 04:57:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2014, 04:53:09 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 24, 2014, 04:40:56 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2014, 04:30:46 PM
Zulu, I agree with you about Paul early by the way.

AZ, please answer my point, should that have been a red card in hurling, a game with the exact same rules? If you apply the rules as per the rule book then most tackles are a free so why do you apply the rule as per wording in this example?

EDIT: Sorry quoted the wrong post AZ. Though yes Earley is an absolute disgrace as a co-commentator, he is genuinely useless.

That wasn't a tackle, it was a petulant kick out. If a hurler did something similar like maybe grab a lads helmet I'd say he was at risk of a red too.

Not like a grab of a helmet, a petulant kick, don't change the incident. There is no way, no how, no nothing that would have been a red in hurling.

Who cares if it was a red card in Hurling?
This is Football.Football.
He kicked.That's a red all day all week and all year.
Every year.Goodnite and god bless Irene.

Canalman

Nothing wrong with  Limerick as a venue.Can see some pig ignorant whinging this week. Great game by the way. Venue and time decided before throw in. Whats the problem.

cicfada

Assuming mayo take care of Kerry in the replay they will go in as huge underdogs again assuming that the dubs beat Donegal . I think Donegal could beat  Dublin and then it would make mayo favourites . An awful lot of assumptions on my part to be fair . I just think that mayo are better than Kerry at this point. As regards the venue  it's a pity that they couldn't have it on sat week though I suspect that the residents would have been the reason for not being able to do that. They couldn't very well move the American football match as it's the only  time of year with the college schedule in America that they could do it . It was organised last year as well  and if you're going to complain about the college game then you might as well complain about all the concerts held in the venue  as well, if you're a real Gael !! Great entertainment today and fair play to both teams , Aidan o Shea man of the match for me.

Sidney

In 1983 Pairc Ui Chaoimh got the All-Ireland semi-final replay and there was huge controversy over that. It was one of the greatest ever GAA occasions.

The Croke Park match experience has gone stale for regular match-goers. Next Saturday will be a 49,000 full house in the open air, beer, craic, and hopefully, if the sun shines, it'll be one of the greatest atmospheres we've seen for years.

Bring it on.

Aidan O'Shea and Colm Boyle deserve All-Stars purely on the basis of their second half performances. Mayo stood up, and then, true to form, stood down again, and boy were they lucky to get the draw in the end.

If Hennelly should have stayed at home for Bernard Brogan's goal in the final last year, he should have come for that ball that Donaghy caught. Mayo just refuse to learn. They have one more chance to learn before they can play Dublin again. They need to take it. They will, in my view, win the replay.

The smaller pitch will also suit Mayo rather Kerry, I think.

armaghniac

Quote from: Sidney on August 24, 2014, 06:15:19 PM
In 1983 Pairc Ui Chaoimh got the All-Ireland semi-final replay and there was huge controversy over that. It was one of the greatest ever GAA occasions.

The Croke Park match experience has gone stale for regular match-goers. Next Saturday will be a 49,000 full house in the open air, beer, craic, and hopefully, if the sun shines, it'll be one of the greatest atmospheres we've seen for years.

Perhaps, although Kerry will have played there much more often than Mayo.
Of course, in the discussion about American football and so on the real reason for the game being in Limerick is that the precious Dubs couldn't be asked to leave Croke Park in the event of the a replay, they always play at home, so a move to the following Saturday is out.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: armaghniac on August 24, 2014, 06:19:00 PM

Of course, in the discussion about American football and so on the real reason for the game being in Limerick is that the precious Dubs couldn't be asked to leave Croke Park in the event of the a replay, they always play at home, so a move to the following Saturday is out.

Up your hole you, wasnt long before you had a go at Dublin, the replay venue has absolutely nothing got to do with Dublin Gaa

An Bhinn Bhorb

Náire ar Pháirc an Chrócaigh arís. The embarrassing gombeens of Croke Park have excelled themselves this time. Banishing the warrior heroes of Maigh Eo and Ciarraí out of our national stadium to make way for American Football. Sweet mother of jesus!

INDIANA

Quote from: armaghniac on August 24, 2014, 06:19:00 PM

Its posts like that that make me buy a packet of Hamlet cigars on all ireland final evening

cicfada

Wasn't so long ago that people were saying that teams loved to play  against the dubs in Croke park as they felt that the dubs were under such pressure there . Now that Dublin have won a few titles, it's an unfair advantage to them . They haven't won the bloody all Ireland yet I mean . If they win 3 or 4 on a row then maybe people can complain a bit. I mean they are an injury to cluxton or Flynn or Macauley away from now winning the all Ireland . Cluxton in particular is vital to them . Donegal will give them enough of it !!