Cavan v Roscommon - AIQ Round 2 (12/07/14)

Started by Syferus, June 30, 2014, 08:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Paddy Power cannot seperate these 2.

I dunno. It s over a year since I saw Cavan. Played Mayo in Ballina. I was impressed. They played different 15s in the 2 halves and looked good and organised but in hindsight I m not sure that is the best way to go either. They looked like a championship team and gave us a bit of a runaround for most of it. I was surprised they didn t have a better championship after.
Roscommon gave us plenty of it in the Hyde a few weeks ago, but obviously this is different. There s no safety net on this one and like Cavan their supporters will expect a win. Diffrenent dynamic. Roscommon had some time to plan a game for Mayo and did a decent job. Mayo on the other hand played into the ambush  - and probably will continue to do so for the rest of the year, but that's another's day s work.

Impossible to call it but it is not a game either team can afford to lose. I dig Evans though and I d be able to work with him. Ros were in the Hyde they would be favourites and they have a good spirit in the county. I don t think that home advantage will be a big deal in a qualifier. I wouldn t be surprised if the Rossies actually outnumber the locals in Breffni.

From the Bunker

Can only see one side winning this - Roscommon. My only doubt is the game is outside the Hyde. Otherwise I'd be really confident.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2014, 12:30:39 AM

I dunno. It s over a year since I saw Cavan. Played Mayo in Ballina. I was impressed. They played different 15s in the 2 halves and looked good and organised but in hindsight I m not sure that is the best way to go either. They looked like a championship team and gave us a bit of a runaround for most of it. I was surprised they didn t have a better championship after.
Roscommon gave us plenty of it in the Hyde a few weeks ago, but obviously this is different. There s no safety net on this one and like Cavan their supporters will expect a win. Diffrenent dynamic. Roscommon had some time to plan a game for Mayo and did a decent job. Mayo on the other hand played into the ambush  - and probably will continue to do so for the rest of the year, but that's another's day s work.

Impossible to call it but it is not a game either team can afford to lose. I dig Evans though and I d be able to work with him. Ros were in the Hyde they would be favourites and they have a good spirit in the county. I don t think that home advantage will be a big deal in a qualifier. I wouldn t be surprised if the Rossies actually outnumber the locals in Breffni.

Highly doubt it. Tyrone, Armagh out-numbered us at home in the Qualifiers the past three years. There's an incredible support for the U21s and minors but that's been bred on consistent results and performances.

The fair-weather lads couldn't give a toss about the team once they lose in Connacht. It's been that way since after 2004. I think this team is more worthy of support than any we've produced since 98-04 (and to be honest, they've put in even more graft than those lads ever did) but that support will only really show signs of recovery if we go to Breffni and are still alive when the dust settles. If we'll do this we'll do it the hard way.

cavanmaniac

Cavan's upward trajectory looks to have reached a plateau for sure and other teams seem to have sussed us out. There's nowhere near the same buzz about the team as a result and whatever about how entitled they are to do so, lads heading off to the States for a summer doesn't ever speak well of either player confidence of going a step better than last year, or team spirit in general.
I see a defeat by about three or four points here and then some major taking of stock by Cavan in the months thereafter. A lot of relations down in Ros though so if ever there's a team I don't mind losing to, it'd have to be the Roscommunists.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2014, 01:28:02 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2014, 12:30:39 AM

Highly doubt it. Tyrone, Armagh out-numbered us at home in the Qualifiers the past three years. There's an incredible support for the U21s and minors but that's been bred on consistent results and performances.

The fair-weather lads couldn't give a toss about the team once they lose in Connacht. It's been that way since after 2004. I think this team is more worthy of support than any we've produced since 98-04 (and to be honest, they've put in even more graft than those lads ever did) but that support will only really show signs of recovery if we go to Breffni and are still alive when the dust settles. If we'll do this we'll do it the hard way.
That sounds really religious, Syferus. Have you been to Lough Derg recently ?

manfromdelmonte

It could be a very tight game.

You'd say Roscommon have the forwards to win it, though they kicked away the game v Mayo.

Rossfan

This is a game we CAN win but Cavan will obviously feel the same.
We have to hit the ground running here as the kind of sightseeing we were at in the first quarter of the League Final will not be good enough in a winner take all championship game.
With the exception of Donie Shine we seem to be clear of injuries but Johnín is unlikely to start  Conor Daly. I expect Stack to retain the no 12 and Keenan to start. Those who claim to be in the know say Enda Smith and Diarmuid Murtagh to start as well but we'll see.
A win here  will mean a relatively successful season no matter what follows while a loss will raise some doubts as to whether we're capable of rising any higher in the pecking order "going forward"( ::)).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shrewdness

So the Rossies have to play an Ulster team, at the home of the Ulster team, in a match refereed by an Ulster referee.

rodney trotter

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 08, 2014, 01:11:33 AM
Can only see one side winning this - Roscommon. My only doubt is the game is outside the Hyde. Otherwise I'd be really confident.

That's a good omen then.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 08, 2014, 11:19:40 AM
So the Rossies have to play an Ulster team, at the home of the Ulster team, in a match refereed by an Ulster referee.
Like playing Mayo with one of the Duffys in charge

Collie Brolly

Sure who cares where the ref is from.We like a moan in Ros but takin umbrage with a referee BEFORE a game is silly.

Orior

This has to be the most interesting tie of the round.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

moysider

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 08, 2014, 12:19:53 PM
Like playing Mayo with one of the Duffys in charge

Yes. That would give any team playing Mayo a great leg up.

Jinxy

Quote from: Orior on July 08, 2014, 02:24:34 PM
This has to be the most interesting tie of the round.

More interesting than Sligo v Limerick?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mylestheslasher

I doubt the Rossies will come anywhere near outnumbering Cavan. They didn't even outnumber us at the AI semi in U21s at the double header. I do expect Ross will win though, we are not going well and have a lot of injuries. Ros putting up big scores in challenges, have very good forwards and have a pep in their step. The only thing is what Breffni park is worth to Cavan and the undoubted ability for Cavan to be better than they are. I could see Ros win by 5 or 6 but I could also see another set of circumstances that sees Cavan win by 1.