Cavan v Roscommon - AIQ Round 2 (12/07/14)

Started by Syferus, June 30, 2014, 08:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

This appeared in my Facebook news feed today:

A message to Johneen from Eircom?

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on July 08, 2014, 10:48:43 AM
A win here  will mean a relatively successful season no matter what follows while a loss will raise some doubts as to whether we're capable of rising any higher in the pecking order "going forward"( ::)).

Spot on there Rosfan.

Reading through this thread the An Béal Bocht is alive and well in county Cavan. It seems they need to be reminded they are playing a side like themselves that were playing out of div 3 and one they already bet in Breffni Park this spring. Lads you are not playing our Connacht cousins Mayo and using challenge games as a reference point is nonsense for a start Cavan bet Galway by more in a challenge back in May. In regards to injuries the one reliable and honest Cavan source i have has told me that Cavan could arguably start a stronger 15 this Saturday than they started against us in the league final.

As for ourselves from what i hear three changes will be made from the Mayo game and all unforced Donie injured of course and another two carrying knocks. Its been a full five weeks since our last competitive game that is not ideal facing into a tricky away knockout fixture against a side with a win under their belts however if our lads play to their potential on Saturday night we should win and progress to the shark infested waters of round 3.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on July 08, 2014, 07:19:49 PM
A win here  will mean a relatively successful season no matter what follows while a loss will raise some doubts as to whether we're capable of rising any higher in the pecking order "going forward"( ::)).

Spot on there Rosfan.

Reading through this thread the An Béal Bocht is alive and well in county Cavan. It seems they need to be reminded they are playing a side like themselves that were playing out of div 3 and one they already bet in Breffni Park this spring. Lads you are not playing our Connacht cousins Mayo and using challenge games as a reference point is nonsense for a start Cavan bet Galway by more in a challenge back in May. In regards to injuries the one reliable and honest Cavan source i have has told me that Cavan could arguably start a stronger 15 this Saturday than they started against us in the league final.

As for ourselves from what i hear three changes will be made from the Mayo game and all unforced Donie injured of course and another two carrying knocks. Its been a full five weeks since our last competitive game that is not ideal facing into a tricky away knockout fixture against a side with a win under their belts however if our lads play to their potential on Saturday night we should win and progress to the shark infested waters of round 3.

And Carlow.

Westside

Quote from: ross4life on July 08, 2014, 07:19:49 PM

Spot on there Rosfan.

It's no poor mouth, Cavan had 4 Ulster All Stars last year, we might have one of those starting, Keating, and he'll be nowhere near fully fit. Ronan Flanagan and McVeety gone too. It'd take a good debater to argue that we can field a team without Mackey Dunne and Keating and be stronger than we were in the League Final. No Killian Clarke to come in either. This is a genuinely much weakened Cavan side, 9 of the lads that started against Kerry didn't start in the last game and probably 7-8 won't against Roscommon. We are at home but since when has that bothered Roscommon, they have a relatively good record in Breffni.

Roscommon should be aiming for much more than a win in Cavan and no more, the potential is there for Roscommon to go on a run, outside the very top sides Roscommon have the talent to go and beat most other teams in the country.

ross4life

Quote from: Westside on July 08, 2014, 07:45:28 PM

It's no poor mouth, Cavan had 4 Ulster All Stars last year, we might have one of those starting, Keating, and he'll be nowhere near fully fit. Ronan Flanagan and McVeety gone too. It'd take a good debater to argue that we can field a team without Mackey Dunne and Keating and be stronger than we were in the League Final. No Killian Clarke to come in either. This is a genuinely much weakened Cavan side, 9 of the lads that started against Kerry didn't start in the last game and probably 7-8 won't against Roscommon. We are at home but since when has that bothered Roscommon, they have a relatively good record in Breffni.

Roscommon should be aiming for much more than a win in Cavan and no more, the potential is there for Roscommon to go on a run, outside the very top sides Roscommon have the talent to go and beat most other teams in the country.

Kerry game is last year and one you lost how many changes you made from last game or league final against us is what you need to be looking at. Killian Clarke,Ronan Flanagan and McVeety didn't start in the league final against us and Mackey,Keating both got minutes against Westmeath. Another two that didn't start in the league final was Michael Argue,David Givney two top players that can only make the Cavan starting team stronger.

The potential is also there for Cavan to go on a run after all you did last summer and have won four in a row Ulster U-21 titles. As for relatively good record in Breffni well our win in Breffni last year was our first since 1991.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on July 08, 2014, 08:08:32 PM
Quote from: Westside on July 08, 2014, 07:45:28 PM

Kerry game is last year and one you lost how many changes you made from last game or league final against us is what you need to be looking at. Killian Clarke,Ronan Flanagan and McVeety didn't start in the league final against us and Mackey,Keating both got minutes against Westmeath. Another two that didn't start in the league final was Michael Argue,David Givney two top players that can only make the Cavan starting team stronger.

The potential is also there for Cavan to go on a run after all you did last summer and have won four in a row Ulster U-21 titles. As for relatively good record in Breffni well our win in Breffni last year was our first since 1991.

And how many times have we actually payed Cavan at  Breffni since 1991? Including games against other opponents or other grades is a pointless exercise in fear-mothering that I've seen elsewhere.

Let's put the 'I'm more worried than you because..' stuff to one side for a second.

Both teams fancy this game and both have their own reasons to think they can win it. I look at Cavan's nicked up forwards and our own forwards and I can only see us win if scores come freely like they did in Croker.

But if Cavan drag it into their ball-park - a defensive match where goals are a very scarce commodity - then they're in their wheel house.

Our defense is not a weak-link any more so this could devolve into a real tactical battle. I think we could win that too because Evans reads the game quite well but it is more of a lottery than playing to our strengths, that is our forwards and our attacking HBs.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Ross4life, your Cavan source is talking through there arse. Mackey is not fit and will not start and I doubt hell be on either. The lads that are fit are not on form.

Shrewdness

Are any of the Ros posters here aware of a rumoured toe injury to a certain player? If they are, they'll know who i'm talking about. Is it anything to be concerned about?

Collie Brolly

No is the answer to your question Shrewdness.That has been and gone.

Shrewdness

Itchy

Are any of the Cavan lads aware of a certain player having an accident with meat cleaver. Please type answer in invisible ink.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2014, 02:44:50 PM
Are any of the Cavan lads aware of a certain player having an accident with meat cleaver. Please type answer in invisible ink.

I'd chance Anthony Gaynor but I know he isn't on the panel.  Please let it not be  Larry. :-\
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...