Cavan v Roscommon - AIQ Round 2 (12/07/14)

Started by Syferus, June 30, 2014, 08:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

When it has to navigate past the sheep in Roscommon it should manage the roads in Cavan.

mylestheslasher

Its not a bad draw for Cavan but it is still a very tough match for us to win. We don't look strong around the middle, even with Gearoid McKiernan back. Our Full Forward line is unsettled and has not been performing and the half backs we put out are not scoring for us and are not really capable of doing so. Saying all that our defense, despite missing a few starters, was good the last day. In Croke park frees for Ros were the difference and without Shine Ros will miss his long range shooting. I am really concerned the Keating is being dropped due to poor form, Givney is in there but looks awkward and that leaves just Jack Brady. Having seen Mackeys cameo against Westmeath, its clear he won't be anywhere near ready for this match either and worse still Roscommon will know this. I can see there being only a point or two in it but to who I couldnt say. One question that is unanswered, how are the Ros boys mentally for the qualifiers - are they up for it? The semi loss to Mayo must have been a tough one to get over.

rodney trotter

Keating looked decent when he came on against Westmeath, kicked a nice score. It might be a wake up call for him being dropped.
Roscommon were impressive against Mayo and should have won that game. They probaly would have won had they started the u21 players.. Donie Shines free taking was very good in the league final against Cavan so he will be a loss but Murtagh is capable of taking them anyway.

Shrewdness

Team selection will be crucial for Roscommon. Whilst Donie Shine was man of the match (i think) in Croke Park, he didn't play all that well against Leitrim or Mayo and was off form with frees in both games. Surely Diarmuid Murtagh and Enda Smith will start, or will they? Then we have the return from injury of half backs David Keenan and Conor Daly. Can they both be accomodated? We will need a return to scoring form from Cathal Cregg whose form has dipped in the last 2-3 games,even if he did adopt a more defensive role against Mayo. Kevin Higgins needs to stop wasting hard won possession by shooting rashly from impossible angles/distances. He needs to look up and offload to better positioned team mates. Much to ponder.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 30, 2014, 11:30:25 AM
Team selection will be crucial for Roscommon. Whilst Donie Shine was man of the match (i think) in Croke Park, he didn't play all that well against Leitrim or Mayo and was off form with frees in both games. Surely Diarmuid Murtagh and Enda Smith will start, or will they? Then we have the return from injury of half backs David Keenan and Conor Daly. Can they both be accomodated? We will need a return to scoring form from Cathal Cregg whose form has dipped in the last 2-3 games,even if he did adopt a more defensive role against Mayo. Kevin Higgins needs to stop wasting hard won possession by shooting rashly from impossible angles/distances. He needs to look up and offload to better positioned team mates. Much to ponder.

Thought Cregger was magnificent against Mayo. He was everywhere on the field. Playing even more of a Mark McHugh/Paul Flynn role of dropping back, winning breaks and basically making the team tick. When we were playing with one forward high up the field at most times there wasn't going to be much opportunity for Cregg to score. I think he was our MotM for Tomas O'Se on the highlights show too.

He'll have more chances against Cavan because we won't sit back quite as much, indeed he did in the league final but was taking too many shots, Cavan looked to have unsettled him. I'm sure they'll target him again but it shouldn't be as effective the second time around.

Rossfan

Team selection will be crucial for Roscommon. Whilst Donie Shine was man of the match (i think) in Croke Park, all that whe didn't play ell against Leitrim or Mayo and was off form with frees in both games. Surely Diarmuid Murtagh and Enda Smith will start, or will they? Then we have the return from injury of half backs David Keenan and Conor Daly. Can they both be accomodated? We will need a return to scoring form from Cathal Cregg whose form has dipped in the last 2-3 games,even if he did adopt a more defensive role against Mayo. Kevin Higgins needs to stop wasting hard won possession by shooting rashly from impossible angles/distances. He needs to look up and offload to better positioned team mates. Much to ponder.
Donie won't be as big a loss as the world and its mother seems to think.
This is a game both sides will believe they can win. We definitely can and hopefully we'll hit the ground running unlike in Croker.
Is there hurling stuff on that day because if not this would be an ideal game for tv between two traditional proper GAA Counties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shrewdness

Syferus, i agree that Cregg covered a lot of ground against Mayo. In my previous post, i called for a scoring return to form from him. Throughout the league, he was scoring about 4-5 points per game. He needs to get back scoring in this game if we're going to win it. I don't expect us to play as defensively as we did against Mayo.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 30, 2014, 02:12:35 PM
Team selection will be crucial for Roscommon. Whilst Donie Shine was man of the match (i think) in Croke Park, all that whe didn't play ell against Leitrim or Mayo and was off form with frees in both games. Surely Diarmuid Murtagh and Enda Smith will start, or will they? Then we have the return from injury of half backs David Keenan and Conor Daly. Can they both be accomodated? We will need a return to scoring form from Cathal Cregg whose form has dipped in the last 2-3 games,even if he did adopt a more defensive role against Mayo. Kevin Higgins needs to stop wasting hard won possession by shooting rashly from impossible angles/distances. He needs to look up and offload to better positioned team mates. Much to ponder.
Donie won't be as big a loss as the world and its mother seems to think.
This is a game both sides will believe they can win. We definitely can and hopefully we'll hit the ground running unlike in Croker.
Is their hurling stuff on that day because if not this would be an ideal game for tv between two traditional proper GAA Counties.

They'll choose Tyrone v Armagh/Monaghan or Down v Kildare over this one.

Rossfan

Those games will probably be on the Sunday due to all those clowns in bowler hats and garish sashes.
As well sure them Counties can't match us or Cavan for tradition.
i'd expect a more attack mined set up from us for this one Shrewdness but at the same time not leaving the defence too open.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2014, 02:06:53 PM

Thought Cregger was magnificent against Mayo.

As things stand he is a shoe in for player of the year to replace MDMA.

Westside

Good draw for both teams I think. Cavan are a much weakened side at the moment and we won't have as good a side as we did in the League Final. Roscommon will have a better pick with the U21s available this time around. I'm expecting tactics to be exactly the same as the league final but probably without the high score. If we had Dunne, Mackey, Keating and Killian Clarke all fit and available I'd probably be hopeful of a win here but we just don't have any real quality replacements. Home advantage still means something though and we won't roll over for Roscommon.

Mackey should be talking to Conor McManus for recovery tips..

ross4life

Will be difficult game to call going by the two league matches this year very little between the sides. Donie will be a big loss he's one of the best fielders of the ball we have and can help out in midfield when needed his leadership,experience has been good this year as has his distribution. In other words much more to his game than long range free talking and his loss should not be underestimated.

Our mentally for these qualifiers should be fine going by the form of the players in club action and how they performed against Sligo yesterday in a challenge.  Our lads will be up for this challenge but we have average record in Breffni Park and this game will likely to come down to the fine margins or even the rub of the green.

With the quality of the sides on this B draw it would be a major achievement for ourselves or Cavan to reach the All Ireland quarter finals this summer.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Itchy

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on June 30, 2014, 09:17:52 PM
Paddy Power has both teams at evens.
But Ros were 3 points up against the all Ireland finalists with 2 minutes to go. Surely they should be 1/7 or so.

Shrewdness

Ross4life, how did the challenge against Sligo finish?